Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk

Take the quiz. There's no doubt I'm from Joisey.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...me&ref=general

Bean 4 Life yo.

Kinda weirds me out that almost the whole country thinks Mary, Marry are Merry and pronounced the same. You guys are freaks.

Hugh Conway Guest
    and it shat the bed predicting me by my accent. not surprising.

the only people i know who call 'em roundabouts are pretending to be english. everyone calls them traffic circles, but most people don't know what the fuck one is so there should be a big "duh" land in flyover country

Full on Mid-Atlantic for me - has me pegged as either B-more, DC, or Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    the only people i know who call 'em roundabouts are pretending to be english. everyone calls them traffic circles, but most people don't know what the fuck one is so there should be a big "duh" land in flyover country
    Dude we invented them and they're called Rotaries.

The Brits keep trying to say they invented them in the '60's, but there were probably at least 100 rotaries in Mass. by 1960, and they were first built in the '30's, so fuck them, maaaaaan.

Hugh Conway Guest
    nah, those are a bunch of do-gooding business babbits.

According to that I need to move to the desert.

Hell, CA isn't in the desert?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    and it shat the bed predicting me by my accent. not surprising.

My parents live in suburban-rural MN, there is a brand new roundabout within a few miles of their house that took the place of a stop sign , two kinda well traveled county roads intersecting in more or less the middle of nowhere

I was taken aback, to say the least.

Local township must have hired the entry level UP that studied abroad in London.

Edit: I've always called them roundabouts for whatever reason, colour me douchetastic
    Last edited by RockChalk; 12-23-2013 at 01:44 AM.

Traffic circles when they're placed in the middle of an uncontrolled intersection in residential areas to slow people down, roundabouts when they replace lights or stop signs at the intersection of main roads/arterials. Least, that's how I've always called them 'round here and never heard different from anyone else.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

They are Rotaries. Smarten up.

They're called circles. And they got rid of most of them a long time ago where I came from due to the carnage that ensued.

Fucking Limeys are so obsessed with them they have six lane, er, roundabouts.

Jackson Ms? WTF. I way more educated than those rednecks
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Traffic circles when they're placed in the middle of an uncontrolled intersection in residential areas to slow people down, roundabouts when they replace lights or stop signs at the intersection of main roads/arterials. Least, that's how I've always called them 'round here and never heard different from anyone else.
    agreed. but only ever saw such nonsense in the PNW.

and youse

edit: boston area. yep.

I live in Delaware, but I am still from Wisconsin.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Hell, CA isn't in the desert?

If you know that, then you know the key word is WAS.

Plus that's tongue in check anyways. Though in actuality I do live in the desert per se, only it's called the dust bowl.

Funny, I grew up in the south but have always been told that I don't have a southern accent, every single time I tell someone where I'm from. Lived out west for 17 years. This tells me that I talk like I'm from Jackson, MS or Baton Rouge. According to many of my answers, it's a miracle that anyone even understands what the fuck I am saying half the time.

With that said, I call them roundabouts. That's what they are called in NZ and Australia, and Colorado as far as I could tell. Seattle had traffic circles to slow people down in the U district.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    If you know that, then you know the key word is WAS.

Plus that's tongue in check anyways. Though in actuality I do live in the desert per se, only it's called the dust bowl.
    Nah I was just kidding, no idea about Hell CA at all. It sounded like the desert was all. Or LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Full on Mid-Atlantic for me - has me pegged as either B-more, DC, or Richmond.
    I got caramel like I'm from DC but the other two were Phoenix or Chandler/Gilbert, AZ.

jgb@etree Guest
    Pretty accurate. It nailed me as being from SW CT.

I'm from "there was an error loading your map", according to this thing.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    Local township must have hired the entry level UP that studied abroad in London.

Edit: I've always called them roundabouts for whatever reason, colour me douchetastic
    I like them. I lived near one in Oregon and lets say.. it baffled some people. Particularly people in large pickups from Eastern Oregon or the coast.

Kinda weirds me out that almost the whole country thinks Mary, Marry are Merry and pronounced the same. You guys are freaks.
    Wait, in New England's lexicon Rs have a sound like "ah" when included in a word, and the R sound is randomly inserted in other words. So Mary, marry and merry should all be pronounced the same in Boston - "mahy"

They are Rotaries. Smarten up.
    Siri calls them Roundabouts...