Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Car camping-how to warm up a tent

I go car camping in the sierra's with my family, two kids,2 and 5. Nights go down below freezing, the kids get somewhat cold and the wife can't sleep because she worries.
    As a result, most trips are cut short.

Any ideas how I could warm up the tent a bit?

I use a big ass tent, rei kingdom 8, which is part of the problem, since it is huge, and is hard to warm up just with body heat.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

Since your car camping and have the room. You could get one of those small hunting camp wood stoves if the tent has place to run the pipe out. For their size they put out a lot of heat.

A candle, hot water bottle in sleeping bag, sex with the old lady.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Catalytic heater.

Better sleeping bags.

Blankets over your existing bags.

Better sleeping pads to insulate you from the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

You need better sleeping bags and mattress pads. Don't use an air mattress in the cold since water vapour will condense on top soaking your sleeping bag. Getting off the ground with cots works too. There's a few catalytic propane heaters that are safe for indoor use. perfect for warming up in the morning. Don't run them when sleeping unless you can guarantee that sleeping bags will stay clear.

Or buy a camper.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Pop up camper...

Have the kids share a sleeping bag? Or share a blanket pinned into a sleeve over their sleeping bags. Heating a big tent is dumb. A wife/mother in the mix makes common sense a losing argument.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Get a smaller tent for inside your tent...
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Down comforter...end of thread.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Catalytic heater.

Better sleeping bags.

Blankets over your existing bags.

Better sleeping pads to insulate you from the ground.
    this ^^

If temps are getting below freezing, you need either heat reflective pads like Neoair all seasons or down air mattresses.. you can have a zero degree bag and if you're on a simple roll up closed cell foam you are going to be cold.. if you are on non-insulated inflated pads you are going to freeze... You could consider a small wood burner, it would keep you warm, but with a 2 and 5 yr old would need to be quite dilligent to keep them from touching it... Well sealed hot water bottles work well.. and a nice down comforter over their bags will help a lot too

Get a smaller tent.. even a 3 person tent will be sufficient for a few yrs...

Do what you need to keep them warm so they enjoy getting out...
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

I highly recommend the exped synmat or downmat sleeping mats. Not only are they the warmest mat I've ever used, they are also the most comfortable. They are kinda expensive but I consider them worth it.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Going camping with a 2-year-old, 5-year-old and a wife in sub-freezing temps sounds like a sure-fire recipe for plenty of unpleasantness no matter what you try.

Damn dude who the fuck brings kids winter camping lol... Who are you, Les Stroud?
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

To be more clear, this is may and june camping, but at high elevations on the eastside of sierra, you still can have sub freezing temps at night.
    But even 40 degrees is cold.

Quote Originally Posted by iamchappy View Post
    Pop up camper...
    We went this route with our 8, 6, and 2 year old kids. It's been great. Kids stay warm and dry at night and have a place to hang out if it rains. Here in the PNW, camping in May, June, July and Oct. (really any month) means be ready for rain.

If you can't swing the pop-up (really, you should just get one for car camping with kids), heavy blankets over the sleeping bags worked well for us when we didn't have the popup.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Going camping with a 2-year-old, 5-year-old and a wife in sub-freezing temps sounds like a sure-fire recipe for plenty of unpleasantness no matter what you try.
    This was my thought! Imagine the fun of the middle of the night or early morning "i gotta peeeeee..... NOW!" Or do you make the 5 year old wear nighttime pullups, just in case??!!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    But even 40 degrees is cold.
    maybe stop being such pussies?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    maybe stop being such pussies?
    I tried this with my kids, but not much luck so far.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Make sure they are warm going to bed and have a warm cup of cocoa before tucking in?

Stay warm in a tent? There's one solution.

Copious amounts of lovemaking.
    Live Free or Die

hose to exhaust, other end of hose into tent. how has no one suggested this yet.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

This may not be feasible, but it's something I've considered. small boat stove.
    http://www.marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm

Or just a hudge pile of salvation army wool blankets. But the stove will make it easier to get out of bed. With of ton of blankets, you'll just want to sleep in

from my (limited) experience, catalytic heater warm, but throw off moisture. So you're tent best be well vented, or figure out some exhaust.

We tried those in a campervan, and found the heat was not worth the moisture buildup, but that was the PNW. Sierras might be drier, so moisture less of an issue.

Fartssssssss

Definitely better bags and mats. If it's 100% purely for car camping, look at the thermarest neoair dream mat. Has a couple inches of memory foam and is ridiculously warm and comfortable. The thing could probably fill most of a 75L pack.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com