Thread: ACL Advice

ACL Advice

So, this past Monday I somehow caught an edge and twisted my knee around and Pop, no more ACL. Came home from the doc tonight to find my brand new skis waiting for me, but I've got another season until I can ski them.

Preliminary diagnosis from physical manipulations of my right knee is that I've torn my ACL, with possible mensicus damage. The OS I saw seems pretty confident in his diagnosis and seemed to think that an MRI may be an unnecessary expense. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me in terms of doctors/treatment/surgery timing etc.

Just for a little info I live in Telluride, just turned 25 and would like to ski hard for the rest of my life. I am totally willing to sit out the rest of the season and go through a painful and frustrating surgery/rehabilitation process if that is what will ultimately lead to the best possible outcome for the health of my knee. If anyone has any input on doctors in the area or recommendations on where to proceed from here I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

bummer man, stay positive, you'll be back.

I played the same game in March, ACL/MCL/meniscus/TPF. no bueno. I went to the Steadman Clinic in Vail, and have absolutely no regrets about that decision. Dr LaPrade was a world class surgeon, the kind of pro that gives you total confidence in his ability. FWIW, I also checked out Vail Summit Ortho, but just didnt have the same kind of confidence in the surgeon there. Done right, you will recover 100%, but it is not the kind of thing to fuck around with a less than top notch doc. Pretty sure any good ortho is going to require a MRI, but dont put the cart before the horse, get to the doc first. Mine would only use MRIs from a handful of labs, as apparently not all MRIs are equal quality.

I am 8+ months post-op now. Still not back on skis. I am 34, so nothing less than perfect is good enough for my body. The MCL reconstruction really complicates the recovery. Working PT every day since the surgery. It is hard. Mentally, physically, the pain, the motivation, staying positive. Not easy. But I am 85% and getting better weekly. You can get it back, but you will have to work for it.

tl;dr- Go to Steadman Clinic in Vail. The future of your knee is worth the drive and the expense. They treat pro athletes from around the globe, and have a tremendous success rate. Stay positive! Dont hesitate to ask...

Check the ACL Class of 2012 or 2013 threads, lots of good info here. Just relax you'll be fine.

There have to be some top notch surgeons in Telluride or Durango. Hopefully others will chime in.

Thanks for the responses.
    Still looking for Surgeon recommendations around the Telluride, Montrose, Durango area if there are any.