Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Had a shit eating grin on my face skiing my 185 carbon med/stiff 9D8's the last few days in the VT woods on and around Stowe. I bought the 9D8 as an east coast daily driver. Both for the mid-Atlantic and north east. Still a reasonable amount of float in pow, super quick in tight EC trees and fun on groomers and bumps. If I was only focused on the north east, I personally would go a bit wider. That said, the 9D8 is definitely a good EC every day ski and gives me a good alternative to my bigger skis that while fun can kick your ass in really tight trees. For reference, my other resort ski right now is a 190 Katana.

I've put about 5 days on my 179s so far and have a few thoughts to share..

First of all, mounted on the dimple skis perfect despite my visual concern about a lot of tail after the mount..

They skied 10" of new kinda wet EC snow better than expected, remaining stable busting through chop as the day moved on. Given the waist and relatively light weight I had been nervous about how easily they could be deflected in cut up, heavy snow.. but honestly I didn't have any issues there at all. They happily plowed straight ahead through whatever I pointed them at and kept on going.

The one issue I've had with them is that I definitely found a speed limit carving medium to large turns on firm groomers.

What I mean is that during high speed groomer runs on other "stable" skis I own (180 explosive, 183 euro bro, 185 Cochise) I tend to draw the line and slow it down a bit when my brain takes over and starts telling me how fucked up I'd probably get if I wrecked. On these I didn't have a chance to get there, instead I hit a point where they were chattering so bad that I was feeling every little bump and imperfection in the snow. I brought them there multiple times, and each run had to shut 'er down for fear of hitting an ice cookie and blowing the whole thing up.

Hope that's helpful to someone?

Haven't really had them in bumps or corn yet.. Will report back when I do. Overall I'm pretty happy, but it's not 100%. (What ski ever is?)

EDIT*** Going back and re-reading the OP it seems we have experienced the same issue..
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 02-20-2014 at 05:30 PM.

I've got 6 days on these and thought I'd chime in after absorbing lots of helpful tips (and scoring a coupon) from this and the other Praxis threads.

Praxis 9D8
    179cm
    Medium flex - with Carbon Layup (7.8lb)
    Tyrolia Adrenalin 13 bindings / Dynafit One boots
    Mounted at recommended dimple

I skiied this around Smuggler's in Vermont, in the trees and on the groomers, did a couple early morning skins. My impressions are similar to what's been said. The ski likes to turn. It was very happy with tiny S-GS turns finding the bits of powder on the edges of trails. It was very good in the trees. It was very very good in 3-5 inches of fresh. It was good in crusted over and lumpy snow; this surprised me with the low weight. It was good on hardpack and decent on ice.

Turning, and at low/medium speed it was predictable and confidence inspiring. I wouldn't quite call the 9d8 playful, it wasn't quite loose enough for that, but it was fun to ski. It has energy coming out of turns, not a ton, but enough. My couple mistakes on it were actually because I was shocked the ski wasn't f##$#ing up . . . like edging into a big crusty mogul and the ski went where it was supposed to, while my mind had already bailed on the turn. The skis least happy moment was catching my five year old, bombing down the slope at 40mph. No tip flap, but every time I had to go full raging speed with big turns the ski did not seem happy (I did get medium flex and am 180lb--perhaps stiffer versions would be happier)

A few other notes. Mounted on the dimple seemed great to me, it skied in perfect balance despite looking visually a bit forward. Skinning . . . the lightweight skis helped take away the sting of the 6lb Adrenalin bindings. Bases and edges look brand new after 6 days of bashing. The topsheets however has some chipping that was more noticeable than any other ski I've owned.

Also, I did take a gummy stone to the tips and tail. The first day, I could not get the skis to spin around to ride switch and the edges felt hooky on the flats. The gummy stone took care of that and I had no problems after.

All in all, very happy with the ski. Seems like a good fit for an athletic EC skier who doesn't prioritize speed, works the turns and brings his skis out west occasionally.

A quick f.y.i for those experiencing top sheet chipping:

I read in one of the other praxis threads that running a coarse file down the edges where the top sheet meets the sidewall will help prevent chunks from peeling off.

I did it on my pair before day one and they still looks almost new , so I'd say it works. Give it a shot!

A brief update:

Jay, I definitely have a fair bit of top sheet chipping going on, so thanks for the suggestion.

I've put a bunch more days on mine so far, from the epic Valentines day storm we had to more ordinary EC icy days. I'm pretty in love with them. The deeper pow was a joy. Today I was just absolutely bombing hip-to-ground GS turns on them and really felt amazingly solid, especially given I'm a 6', 180 lb dude on a 179 carbon ski. Combine that with their quickness in icy bumps, and I'm a very happy shopper. My biggest complaint is still with anything hard and refrozen. It's not that the skis misbehave, but they just transfer so much feedback that it's pretty much impossible to ski anything that's not at least a little bit soft without your teeth chattering.

Quote Originally Posted by Roder View Post
    179 carbon ski.....My biggest complaint is still with anything hard and refrozen. It's not that the skis misbehave, but they just transfer so much feedback that it's pretty much impossible to ski anything that's not at least a little bit soft without your teeth chattering.
    Carbon fiber's liveliness may contribute to that; the wood core skis are damper. It's a trade-off.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Interested in picking up a pair of 9D8's for a daily driver as well as a early/late season touring ski. Going to go all fiberglass (no carbon) as it will primarily be an inbounds ski. At 185 the weight is listed at 8.5lbs. I don't mind a slightly heavier ski underfoot if it is going to ski really well in all kinds of snow. Can anyone chime in on the weight aspect? Anyone mounted with dynafits and been touring much with them?
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Interested in picking up a pair of 9D8's for a daily driver as well as a early/late season touring ski. Going to go all fiberglass (no carbon) as it will primarily be an inbounds ski. At 185 the weight is listed at 8.5lbs. I don't mind a slightly heavier ski underfoot if it is going to ski really well in all kinds of snow. Can anyone chime in on the weight aspect? Anyone mounted with dynafits and been touring much with them?
    For the benefit of the collective I'll keep asking here rather than PMing.

Anyone have more time on the 9D8? I'd love to hear more feedback.

Pretty much the 9d8 became my dd on the east coast. Started slowly, and eventually they were the ones that got grabbed most days. Bulletproof days, I avoided or used a pair of 88 underfoot skis.
    For the remainder of the spring season I will likely use them, except for bump days. They handle the bumps decently, but there are better options for zipperline skiing.

The only thing I might add is, unless you're really splitting your time between in and out of bounds, get the layup dedicated to the function you use them for. For me, my 9d8 is a strictly inbound ski and I wish I had gotten the standard layup for less teeth-rattling feedback on harder/choppier days. If I was touring (and getting a new '15 version), I'd try out the new UL core option or go with the Yeti. I think I'm settling on the idea that the carbon layup is a trade off that ultimately isn't quite worth it. Other than that, I adore this ski. Stable, very predictable, a shape and camber/rocker profile that's about as good as it gets for the combination of carved groomers and tight trees/bumps I find myself in on the east coast. Absolutely my resort dd

Finally got over 20 days on mine (long slow winter in the Saharas) all at Squalpine. 185, standard layup, med-stiff, mounted at -2. Skied in "shallow" powder, chunder, chop,ice, skier packed and too many groomers. Agree with most of the above opinions, mainly on quite a bit of "information" transmitted to the foot on firmer snow. Bought these to replace pair of well loved Prophet 100's and the narrowest skis on the garage wall. Detuned tips and tails, skied like the old Lines- but better with a bit of tip rocker. Def has a speed limit, but as trustworthy as a Toyota truck. These are what I reach for on those "head scratcher" days- they've always worked out for me.

There is no doubt I would buy them again, finish quality is excellent (will try some top sheet beveling) and would consider another -.5cm for a mount- but thats just me. Old school, no flippy/spinny.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Interesting that you also think they transmit a lot through the foot, Wolfy, given that you've got the standard layup. I was thinking it was just my carbon, but maybe it's the ski itself?

Its not a heavy ski... the 2015 listing says only 2kg per ski in the heaviest, stiffest, longest option. How damp can you make a ski without adding mass, anyway?

Thanks for the additional feedback. Sound like a pretty sweet skinny ski daily driver.

steve and roder-
    I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking in the 100 underfoot category- which is pretty dang busy these days.
    Tried a few- and liked the Bonifides over the Mantras (more an explosives guy) and went Praxis just 'cause I like, well, them.
    As people and a company. Keith gave my kid and I a tour of the old Truckee plant on a blizzard night years ago and I was hooked.
    My then Jr high age son just drooled over the "bikini babes" topsheet for the old pow boards "Dad, why didn't you get THOSE".

I did some A/B test runs comparing the 9d8's against the: Prophet 100's, Rossi Sickles, 192 Zealots and would have to say that on firm snow- I could feel the feet and ankles more when I got back to the lift on the Praxis. Once you can move the snow around, wet or dry, it's a level playing field.
    This was a great year at Tahoe to test out skis. You could truthfully tell people "We skied on pow, ice and corn."
    Q- "Really how many runs did you make?" A- "Just one".
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Is chiping still a problem at Praxis?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Carbon fiber's liveliness may contribute to that; the wood core skis are damper. It's a trade-off.
    Yep, found that to be true with my GPOs. The fiberglass layup are rock solid at any speed. The carbons do really react when the terrain firms up. But great soft snow and BC ski.

Quote Originally Posted by çayzi View Post
    Don't cross your fucking skis or don't worry about your top sheets being all pretty. WTF is this Epic? Jeezus

Quote Originally Posted by çayzi View Post
    I believe there are two relevant changes this year.

1) New topsheet material.
    2) Topsheets are being beveled back form the edge a bit. Looks like pretty precision work.

Not that I've ever had a functional durability issue with a Praxis ski, but it looks like the esthetic chipping issue should be quite reduced, if not gone entirely.

The 4 pair I've had have had zero issues. The edges come really sharp though. Ended up detaining tips after a few days then tails after a couple more. Protests I did a lil exta detune on the tails. Bomber skis so far

Kinda leaning toward getting a pair of the UL 9D8s as my firm / corn / spring backcountry-only ski (Dynafit FT12 / Maestrale RS) . Wish a 191 UL version was available (I'm 195 lbs, and the 192 GPO UL has been a great ski for resort or backcountry pow) but maybe the 185 is on the stiff side of things. 7.7 lbs.

Was originally going to get 190 UL Backcountrys (7.9 lbs) but looking for something more differentiated from my GPO's i.e. looking for a flatter tail profile and more edge to hook up on firm couloirs in teh sierraz.

Comments pro/con welcomed. This will be my 5th pair of Praxii...great skis.

that's the champs choice for a mountaineering ski. I prefer less sidecut (yeti) for both edge pressure on steep hardpack/meltfreeze and for pivoting ease if there is pow or funk when you get up to teh couloirz . maybe I'd think different if I tried the 9d8 though

i hear you. 26 M radius for the 192 UL Yeti , vs only 20 M radius for the 185 UL 9D8 . For me the deciding factor is probably my preference to stay near 100 mm waist if possible. I haven't heard any complaints about tip/tail hanging up on steep hardpack w/ the 9D8. My 188 wailer 105 pures felt like rollerblades, hence my hesitation to go shortish.

ya went shorter for my yetis and they do feel short in normal conditions. still float incredibly well for a ski that much shorter than my average ski. I appreciate the lack of length when the turn is of consequence. piste jib with a flatter tail would be sweet for this. I like the little rise in the yeti/bc tails so they don't catch when you have to do a little slide backwards. 9d8 is probably fine and/or great for most. just my level of safety turn has led me away from too much sidecut but that was on a 106 waisted ski with that sidecut though (the most gripped I've been). 8mm difference is a fair bit in those conditions though so I'd like to try a 9d8

Pulled trigger on a pair of the 185 UL 9D8s.