Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

RIP Armchair Extreme

I don't post much these days, but we lost of one of the originals on Oct 16th, 2013. I figured I should let his friends on here know. I just found out today. My wife stalked his movie likes on Facebook as Andrew had great taste. She hit his page today and then told me to go take a look. Anyway.... Andrew was an awesome human being. We had many great pow days together at Snowbird. He probably kept frozenwater and I from dying when we were way too wasted and under prepared at Mt Hood. He also served my wife and I what is still our best meal to memory when he was in Manhattan. Weird universe, but it did things right when he was built.

His family put together this blog page for friends to share stories. I think it would be cool to blow it up with stories for them:

http://andrewcattaneo.blogspot.com/2...l#comment-form

RIP ACE

Damn. Rip brotha.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Armchair was one of the true Originals around here. Rest in peace, brother.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

.............................. @@@@@@................ @@@@@@
    ......................@@@@@@@@@@...........@@@@@@@ @@@
    ............@@@@@@@@@@@@@@........@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    ... @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@..... @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@...@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    . @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    ... @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    .......@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    .......... @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    ...........@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    ...............@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    ....................@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    ........................ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    .......................... @@@@@@@@@@@
    ............................. @@@@@@@
    ............................... @@@
    .................................@
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Feel like this is practically the only thing that could bring me back here these days (thanks to J for letting me know on FB). Can not believe this--in absolute shock. One of the guys that made this place so worthwhile back in 99/2000(??). Technically not this place, but you know.
    Awesome guy to ski with, eat and drink with, hang with. Awesome guy. Wish he would've hung around (this place and NYC), and wish I could've been in more contact with him these last several years. Just terrible.
    [quote][//quote]

Damn....

Enjoyed his posts, missed him when his restaurant biz took him away from the board. Here's to the memory of an OG.

Shit. Rip ACE. I still remember the BC summit when him, gin, bigE , and I finished it off at lake Louise and kicking horse. He was stoked to be going to stay at the Banff springs hotel to check out the food after.

Rest in peace, ACE.

Oh fuck. Here's to an awesome dude whose penchant for partying and skiing matched that of mine. I'm crushed to hear this sad sad news.

I got a bunch of crazy memories of ACE, all of which crack me up. I remember him falling of the some traverse and getting his uphill leg wrapped around a trail marker in some gnarly ACL wrenching position, then me having to untangle him like a pretzel as I held my sides together, which split from laughing too hard.

In LA, he singlehandedly (according to his insurance company anyway) caused like a 90 car pile up on a foggy 110 freeway. Also in LA, he graciously hosted a gaggle of Maggots and fed us with an awesome gourmet dinner over a bunch of ski movies. Then I remember one night partying at some random Hollywood spot for a ski movie premiere with the TGR boys in town. Still have flashbacks from that crazy night.

His career path brought him to NYC where he was always free to meet up for a drink and show you a good fucking time. Any visiting maggot was given a royal treatment. One story that cracked me up was when he gave Kush a man makeover and some dating advice. When Kush brought his lady friend it made a great impression on her and I think he scored. Word is that Kush also made an impression on every gay dude working at ACE's restaurant, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Then life happens. People follow careers, people lose touch, but the bond and friendships never weaken. We hadn't skied nor met up in years apart from the odd FB message here and there.

You are an awesome friend ACEman, and I just wish we could've skied more and partied more. Sorry to hear that you've moved on. See you in the next life.

RIP ACE.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Very sad. RIP ACE.
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Sad news RIP
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

RIP ACE, definitely an original.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

So sorry to hear this, RIP ACE.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Rip ACE. Friend of friends but no matter. Some great tributes in here for an og. Life is fleeting and random.

oh my.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Geez, crappy deal.

tribute and respect

few things to add here in addition to echoing sentiments above.
    Armchair was all time for a lot of reasons
    - HIS name. He found a log in name that 1) used his real initials 2) was funny & appropriate for an online ski forum, and 3) combined to make an awesome nick name; ACE!
    -Attitude, humble happy ripper. giving and fun
    -reaching out, randomly, when passing through or having an idea. This lead to Manhattan adventures late night dive bars, beautiful women @ French restaurants, good music, out door stadium shows in Philly, etc
    - he was a chef, then a BIG deal executive chef, then a super big deal regional corporate executive chef for a high end seafood chain. Then he decided to pack it in, get the sleeve on his arm finished and be a guitar tech and all around support guy for a rock band.
    same dude, didnt change, just decided to alter his stress levels

many stories I could share but the firs one is a personal fave:
    While I was still living in UT, after meeting him all of once @ Snowbird and a few years of back and forth on PowMag, I mentioned I was coming to NY for a ski show. Now this wasnt in Manhattan, but out on Long Island at the Nassau Collesium.
    He was exec chefing it up at a nice seafood restaurant in Midtown and told me I HAD to come by, had to, for dinner. Now I have been in and around Hotels & restaurants for work my whole life and I knew this might just be a hello and a free app while he was working but I headed in. I was meeting an old friend from Aspen that lived in Orange county later, so it made sense.
    I got there and asked for him and they sat me at the bar. He came out and said hello and had me try some Hatian Rum he liked. Then he went back to work for a while and I thought that was it.
    Then he comes back out, his lady joins us and we sit down to an amazing meal.
    He just kept ordering and I kept eating. A lot of amazing things, some not on the menu, but the never frozen ALaskan King crab legs ( he knew a guy) stood out.
    We moved on to a bar near by (which ended up being across the street from where I went to work a few years later) then the RUssian Samovar where we met my friend and his friend from high school.
    Now AC had never met these guys, barely knew me, and D didnt know any of us.
    But that didnt stop them from inviting us uptown, where we stayed up all night ( i missed the last train to LI by a long shot) , annoying his neighbors talking loud on their patio , swapping stories, including him waxing philosophical to just me for a very long time about the joys and the beauty of the tele turn....
    smiling right now typing this.

the world is definitely a bit dimmer now.

You guys are making me wistful, and a little jealous, of that era and camaraderie. I don't know if meeting maggots is the same thing any more, not for me anyway. You were lucky, he was lucky. Thanks for sharing.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Terrible news. RIP, Armchair. Any idea what happened?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    You guys are making me wistful, and a little jealous, of that era and camaraderie. I don't know if meeting maggots is the same thing any more, not for me anyway. You were lucky, he was lucky. Thanks for sharing.
    i think meeting people is the same the maggot parts or what that moniker entitles changed a bit
    i like you feel as i missed the best, but
    anybody that can bring a bunch of og's back to post
    sure must a been a hellof a mag
    goin skiin and gonna make some turns for a member of the tribe i never met
    and in honor of what change 4 a nickle used to mean.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno