Page 27 of 59 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Someone new to Magic visits the hill (which Magic desperately needs), makes a valid comment and all the "core" bro brahs jump all over him.

SPL516, if you go again (and please do) wear a backpack, Smith Variant, Kinco gloves, 120mm full reverse with Dynafits and a "ski the east" sticker......... the Magic broletariats.
    i agree, and have no idea who the people that jumped all over him are, so if they're regulars, they arent that regular afaik. that's a nice cast about the "broletariat" at magic, but hopefully not a shiny enough lure to get any serious nibbles.

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    if anyone on this board gets it any better than Timber

ok, thanks for stopping by, now please take it back to the roll call.

MMP:

You gonna be around on Sunday?
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

For JGB

Dave has trained himself to empty the money from his coffee can tip jar with his mind. That is why there is never any cash in there. His telepathy is honed to leave the rocks in the bottom of the can. He wants you to see those.

Harley, I have no idea on, but agree the top of red is not the same
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    ok, thanks for stopping by, now please take it back to the roll call.
    The futures on the price of a ride from campus to the hill just got a bit more expensive for that kid of yours...just sayin
    Last edited by FussyDutchman; 03-25-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    MMP:

yes

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    The futures on the price of a ride from campus to the hill just go a bit more expensive for that kid of yours...just sayin
    ha! thought i told you to beat it

Dave's liftie skills are so incredibly well honed and lightning fast that he can bump chairs without you even detecting his movement...plus he keeps an axe inside the building leaning against the wall, you know just in case...
    DUMB N DANGEROUS

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    MMP:

I'll be around schralpin' as well. Let’s all me up. I’ll be the guy in the Bell moto X full-face, double reverse/reverse camberDurredz TM. Look for a BIG pack. “Ski the Earth” stickerzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyGroomer View Post
    I'll be around schralpin' as well. Let’s all me up. I’ll be the guy in the Bell moto X full-face, double reverse/reverse camberDurredz TM. Look for a BIG pack. “Ski the Earth” stickerzzz.
    I'll be a little late. What time do the shops open? I need a Variant. I don't want to look out of place...

-Scottish Proverb

SPL516, if you go again (and please do) wear a backpack, Smith Variant, Kinco gloves, 120mm full reverse with Dynafits and a "ski the east" sticker. It will be at least lunchtime when you take your helmet off that the Magic broletariats realize you're not someone they know.
    Kinco gloves? Everybody knows Magic bro's buy the $30 Flylow version of the $15 Kinco gloves. Dickwad.

are hestras really dextrous as fuck?

not sure about timing sunday. i'm pretty sure they're open until 4 or 5 though

To clarify my previous post, I really like skiing Magic but I get frustrated with it.

I have other families come visit us in VT, and I'd love to be able take them to Magic, but I end up going to Bromley, Stratton or Okemo. I go to Magic by myself mostly, so instead of selling 5+ tix that day, Magic sells 0 tix. And I only went there 2x this year.

IMO Bromley vs. Magic is a no-brainer for a family or if there are less skilled skiers in the group. Bromley is not as gifted as Magic in the terrain dept, but they do a good job in laying down snow and there is enough terrain there to keep higher skill level skiers interested for a day.

I think there is a contingent of people that post here who would like the Magicment to cut more ♦♦ tree trails (and not bump chairs) to keep the place more core. I guess I don't see this as a good long range business plan, but maybe it will work, I dunno.

Fussy, if you want to buy me a beer, I'll be the guy without a backpack, no kinco's or Dynafit compatible boots, sitting in the BLT by myself with ice on my ACL's. Unless Krp's girlfriend shows up, in which case I will be chatting her up.

TITS OR GTFO

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by droppinloads View Post
    Dickwad.
    Be nice. He's kind of like our own east coast Hugh Conway. Not quite as amusing though.

Most people (that I know) are more concerned with getting a real beginner area at Magic, than gnarly new glades. Unfortunately, due to budgetary issues, it's a hell of a lot cheaper for volunteers to clear glades than it is to install a magic carpet. And glades definitely aren't a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by droppinloads View Post
    Kinco gloves? Everybody knows Magic bro's buy the $30 Flylow version of the $15 Kinco gloves. Dickwad.
    Magic bro’s don’t wear glovez brah’? They feel teh’ snow.

Pinhead, it’s open til 5. Says it on teh’ site. Not sure about the lift tho.

Timber, come on over this weekend. I will seriously supply you with a ticket if you wish to ski w/us.

I think there is a contingent of people that post here who would like the Magicment to cut more ♦♦ tree trails (and not bump chairs) to keep the place more core. I guess I don't see this as a good long range business plan, but maybe it will work, I dunno.
    Silly Timberride, it's only core if the individuals themselves cut the tree trails.

I love Magic, but I see why it wouldn't be the best place for families of occasional skiers. I'm just not sure that it's ever going to be that good of a place for beginners (save for a huge amount of investment in reopening a beginner area with a magic carpet or somehow really improving snowmaking/grooming). I do think they could groom a bit better on the easy trails and maybe make sure that Lower Magic Carpet is open more consistently so that people aren't forced to do Trick or Wand to get down. That might help a bit. Until they can do that though, there just isn't a really easy way down the mountain. If they can't do that, I think it makes sense to focus a bit more on your comparative advantage (steep, expert trails) rather than areas where neighboring resorts are obviously going to be superior.

TR, in all seriousness i agree with the position you state with the exception being when there is wall to wall coverage and Magic's blue /green stuff is groomed. In that scenario for a family, Magic is; less expensive, less crowded, easier to park, shorter lift lines, less traffic on trails, and the conditions stay better longer (imo).

their failure is not having that terrain open when brom/strat/oke do, so Magic doesnt get to compete. The people that do show up in december for marathon trick-->showoff sessions go away unhappy.

as an advanced intermediate skier, my kids and I were bored at bromley after a couple hours, but agree their infrastructure and mountain ops are top notch.

edit MB beat me to it, sort of

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    as an advanced intermediate skier
    In all seriousnezz,........DREAMER.

Radville, suburb of Stoke City, just north of Awesome Town
    The beginner issue is an interesting one.

Does it make sense to finish the Green Chair and focus the snow making on lower mountain green and blue trails? Could magic recoup the cost of a carpet and making snow on Little Dipper? Which by the way is an awesome inclosed learning area.

Well we all love the hard trails. The most financially successful mountains have the easiest terrain and good learning areas. Revenue per skier visit skyrockets when your guest buys a ticket, rents skis, takes a lesson, and buys a bunch of food. I on the other hand pay less then $20 a day on my season pass, and have a few switchbacks, not the best customer.

I agree that the mountain should focus on its comparative advantage, but it also can't ignore the most profitable customers.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Be nice. He's kind of like our own east coast Hugh Conway. Not quite as amusing though.
    I'm not nearly as miserable as Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyGroomer View Post
    Timber, come on over this weekend. I will seriously supply you with a ticket if you wish to ski w/us.
    Thank you for the offer Rusty, I am happy to pay my way though. I'll stop by one day and blow my cover if everyone promises not to throw stuff from the lifts at me.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Silly Timberride, it's only core if the individuals themselves cut the tree trails.
    ...with a machete.

nail->head

My wife is positively terrified of skiing Magic. She just started skiing six years ago, and between pregnancy, work injuries, work itself, and more schooling, she only gets two to three days a year. Thus, her skills are not confidence-inspiring. When she comes to ski with me, we go to Bromley. She feels comfortable there.

On the other hand, I get bored at Bromley really quick. I am by no means even close to the best skier on the mountain. I enjoy the challenge of Magic and hope that some future compromise can be found to make it slightly more accessible to novice skiers.

This all being said, nothing, let me repeat nothing, is better than sitting in the BLT at the end of day, listening to good tunes, eating a steak sandwich, and slugging a Switchback.

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Magicsnowboard View Post
    The beginner issue is an interesting one.

Does it make sense to finish the Green Chair and focus the snow making on lower mountain green and blue trails? Could magic recoup the cost of a carpet and making snow on Little Dipper? Which by the way is an awesome inclosed learning area.

Well we all love the hard trails. The most financially successful mountains have the easiest terrain and good learning areas. Revenue per skier visit skyrockets when your guest buys a ticket, rents skis, takes a lesson, and buys a bunch of food. I on the other hand pay less then $20 a day on my season pass, and have a few switchbacks, not the best customer.

I agree that the mountain should focus on its comparative advantage, but it also can't ignore the most profitable customers.
    Ditto what Binky said => you hit the nail on the head here. Though I can't comment on the steak sandwich.

Radville, suburb of Stoke City, just north of Awesome Town
    Ditto what Binky said => you hit the nail on the head here. Though I can't comment on the steak sandwich.
    I am partially to the pulled pork. However, I do need to remove my $30 Flylow gloves before eating it.

ok, Timber. Let us know next time you're around. Let's make some turns.

See you guys Friday.

So wait... All we have to do is make Magic into Bromley?

Well fuck, I wish I had thought of that. Jeez we should just let random internet people run it so we can hurry up and save the place hahaha

I hate the Internet. I really do.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community