Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Alpine bindings that work with Dynafit/vibram soles?

I'm behind the times, does this exist? Sliding AFD and adjustable toe height is necessary I assume... Using with Technica cochise pros with dyanfit soles...
    Drive slow, homie.

Officially, Marker SP

Unofficially, all Sally drivers.

We need some boot compatibility/binding thread… or maybe one exists.

Seems like some of the thicker soled AT boots have problems getting into bindings like the guardian?

I guess it's a little subjective, because you could just shove any boot into any binding somehow, but I'm thinking to to retain 'proper', or as close to proper release characteristics.

I'm able to cram my quadrants into a 916 but not 900s or 997. Not sure if the cochise would be any different though.

Edit: To clarify why this might be relevant, both the cochise and quadrant just barely fit into a salomon guardian iirc. So I assume the fit would be similar in other alpine bindings.
    Last edited by cooks; 12-19-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    I've been meaning to do some measuring to see just how high it's okay to go with a Driver toe. I'm making some 1/8" shims to go between the post foot and the AFD, so the toe body isn't much higher on the post than usual. A 3/16" spacer would be perfect, but then the foot of the post starts getting close to the boot sole, and you don't want it making contact.

A lot of people apparently ski Look/Rossi Pivots with the Dynafit heals and Din soles on the Cochise and also Titans.

It allows you to change out only the toes when you switch from Dynafit to pivot and back.

I am able to squeeze my Cochise's into Solomon z12's. I don't think they are designed to take them but so far they have released as expected.
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

I think Summit posted a thread about this a while ago.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...led-Test/page6
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Officially, Marker SP

Correct, though not all Markers, which is what you meant by SP, I assume. Basically, Duke, Baron and Lord.
    I know for a fact that the Cochise boot line will fit into the Baron/Duke.

In addition to the Drivers, Salomon's new WTR bindings do accept some, but it is proprietary. As in, it will only accept Salomon and Atomic WTR boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    I think Summit posted a thread about this a while ago.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...led-Test/page6
    This.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    My Dynafit TLT 5 Performance boots fit into Tyrolia bindings

Look nevada turntable work with my garmonts.
    b

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Correct, though not all Markers, which is what you meant by SP, I assume.
    He was talking about the new Marker Lord SP, the "SP" stands for Ski Patrol.

Thread is here: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...Binding-Thread

http://www.backcountry.com/marker-lord-sp-ski-binding
    "Marker is the only manufacturer that makes a non-touring binding that accommodates AT and alpine boots safely: the Lord SP Ski Binding."

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Officially, Marker SP

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Correct, though not all Markers, which is what you meant by SP, I assume. Basically, Duke, Baron and Lord.
    Marker SP = Marker Lord SP, the "SP" = Ski Patrol, many of which like to work in AT boots, target market.

oops, Harry beat me to it. :\

Thanks guys. Unrelated, but Guardians can't accommodate AT boots? Am I confused or is that special kind of stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    A lot of people apparently ski Look/Rossi Pivots with the Dynafit heals and Din soles on the Cochise and also Titans.

It allows you to change out only the toes when you switch from Dynafit to pivot and back.
    Annoying, but not a bad idea.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    My Dynafit TLT 5 Performance boots fit into Tyrolia bindings
    And they stay in? There are no real toe or heal lugs for a binding to even grab on to?

Swapping just the Cochise toes works with just about every binding (except demo day guys won't like it). Salomon STH drivers work for full tech soles. Slowly making the move to Salomon only, but it'd be awesome to see DIN soles with tech fittings from Tecnica next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Salomon STH drivers work for full tech soles.
    They fit tech soles better than anything else but the Lord SP, but without a sliding AFD the release values are probably sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    They fit tech soles better than anything else but the Lord SP, but without a sliding AFD the release values are probably sketchy.
    They test out fine on shop equipment per Marshal (916s). See comments in one of the Blister reviews.

I can snap into my alpine bindings with my Sorels...

...but that doesn't make it a good idea.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Thanks guys. Unrelated, but Guardians can't accommodate AT boots? Am I confused or is that special kind of stupid?
    Officially, Guardians are compatible with all alpine DIN soles and all WTR AT soles (Salomon's proprietary AT sole). Unofficially, they adjust high enough to get proper clearance on some rockered AT boots and not others. Fixed AFD just like the STH driver toe, so hard to say how well they release on an AT sole without testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    I'm behind the times, does this exist? Sliding AFD and adjustable toe height
    NAXO, but then again.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    I can snap into my alpine bindings with my Sorels...

...but that doesn't make it a good idea.
    Pretty much this, but hey, they are not my knees so knock yourself out. Obama care covers ACL surgery.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Pretty much this, but hey, they are not my knees so knock yourself out. Obama care covers ACL surgery.
    What part of 'shop tested' do you guys not understand? In the field, they've released as expected for me.

As an aside, typical ACL injuries aren't avoided by binding release. Pretty much no binding will release in a backwards twisting fall (hence the market for the knee binding). You need the heel to release sideways to even come close to avoiding that. Your foot doesn't really rotate, it's your thigh that rotates around the lower leg.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 12-20-2013 at 03:42 PM.

They test out fine on shop equipment per Marshal (916s). See comments in one of the Blister reviews.
    What part of 'shop tested' do you guys not understand? In the field, they've released as expected.

As an aside, typical ACL injuries aren't avoided by binding release. Pretty much no binding will release in a backwards twisting fall (hence the market for the knee binding). You need the heel to release sideways to even come close to avoiding that. Your foot doesn't really rotate, it's your thigh that rotates around the lower leg.
    Do you have a link to that? I looked and certainly hope the following is not what you're referencing -
    "My anecdotal results indicate that there is more friction in the Tracker with a rockered AT sole than with the same boot in a Salomon 916 binding"^
    ^ http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...-16-at-binding