Thread: Will "Spring Grind" on Bases Make Much of a Difference Now, in "Winter"?

Question Will "Spring Grind" on Bases Make Much of a Difference Now, in "Winter"?

Hey! Solly if this is a stoopid question.

Got a Spring Grind on the bases of our BRO's near the end of last season.
    Gonna use them on the California WROD this weekend (so mostly man-made with some week old fluff mixed in).

Will the base grind make much of a negative difference do you think?
    Will the Spring Pattern slow us down?
    Should we get a "regular" (Winter?) base grind before heading out, or just wait until they are beat up enough to need one?

Thanks

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

EPICSKI
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I went out today with skis that I'd waxed, but not ground since last winter.

Explosion.

I got some skis that are heavily rilled and the warmer it gets the better they glide, the rest of the time I just put up with it

Are you really skiing at a level where you need to worry about base pattern?

Would you realize more from getting better shape OR a different base pattern?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What's a base grind?

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    What's a base grind?
    He must mean this. Minus the Dorito crumbs of course. This particular grind works for any snow condition, any time of year. It's tits:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	%u0025255BUNSET%u0025255D.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	146379
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

First world fucking problem!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

To optimize that structure for cold snow I'd crayon in some graphite or molybdenum to fight static and drip/iron in a cold/hard wax to finish it off. Brush with nylon or horsehair. Give it a day trial. If it's dragging, restructure.

You pow skiers who immerse your boards into 3D pillows of needles and don't care about your bases are missing out more than racers who make very little contact with ice they don't penetrate.

The modern pow-shape revolution has exacerbated the need for fast bases.

You will be fine. It's ok to run a spring grind in powder. Just be careful though. You are more likely to trigger an avalanche if you don't match structure to conditions. Especially when straight lining.
    That Don't Make No Sense

Quite being a bay area pansy,any base will run on any snow,your not in the Olympics.

I find the more coreshots the better.

I wouldn't worry about basic and proper structure, waxing and tuning if you are fine with 2nd or 3rd rate performance (read, in cold snow they'll glide like sand paper) out of the 1st rate gear you've paid a bunch of scratch to own and enjoy in the snow.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-12-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Spring base...no big deal.

Spring wax...huge problem.

Make sure you strip the wax and go with cold, or universal wax. Mammoth was freaking cold last weekend, left over spring wax would have been an issue. I typically use a universal wax since Mammoth/Tahoe conditions are so variable, at least until spring when I will switch to a yellow wax.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

On that note, maybe I should get a base grind, edge tune, wax, petex fill, binding adjust, computer tune, 3d balance ect....... for my next waist deep powder day.

or just spend that cash on beers at the end of the day.

Id be more worried about crab people.

Sheesh!
    What a load!
    Son, you me disappoint...

Used to be unless you were in Padded Room, or Ski&Snowboard you could mostly get a straight answer.
    (silly question...BRO's...wrod...who knew these were difficult concepts?)

Thanks for playing.
    Thank You Hutash.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

I don't see why it would make that much of a difference. Especially on wrod. Just wax really good. Maybe don't super duper scrape. Works better if you leave a little bit on anyway.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by willie61 View Post
    On that note, maybe I should get a base grind, edge tune, wax, petex fill, binding adjust, computer tune, 3d balance ect....... for my next waist deep powder day.

or just spend that cash on beers at the end of the day.
    Sweet. If you're buying, I'm there! That's a lot o base grindin', if you know what I'm sayin' brother.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

You 'might' notice if it was the other way around I.e cold grind on a super warm spring day, but it won't make any difference on a wrod.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Happy first day of spring everyone.

Bump for new meaning.

This was the year I was really going to put this to the test. Had a million dollar government grant, double bind study, all set to go, but they canceled spring skiing. Now we will never know.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    This was the year I was really going to put this to the test. Had a million dollar government grant, double bind study, all set to go, but they canceled spring skiing. Now we will never know.
    Thanks Obama

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app