Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    That is what I'm aiming at. Trying to find a boot board to stick in there.
    Good luck finding Bontex. Unavailable in NZ.

I'll just use some stiff heavy rubber. Not ideal, but I don't have the tools to cut anything else.
    Life is not lift served.

edit: whoops, didn't read.
    I think you can get those bontex things from Tognar, but only by the pack.
    Edit again: http://www.tognar.com/bontex-insole-...etCurrencyId=3
    Get a few in the biggest size. Should drop right under the liner of your average 27 shell without even trimming it, iirc. Also get the thinnest ones. You can always trim them and double up, but you can't make them bigger or thin them.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Yep, Tognar has them. $4.79 for a pair, $48.42 shipping. Highway robbery

Lol, you could fit those in a manila envelope, write DO NOT BEND on it, slap a few stamps on it, and give it to the mailman. Maybe email them and see what's up?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Lol, you could fit those in a manila envelope, write DO NOT BEND on it, slap a few stamps on it, and give it to the mailman. Maybe email them and see what's up?
    That's what I thought. And you're right, I probably gave up too easily, so I'll take your good advice and send them an email :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I previously used a pair of custom cork footbeds made by THE bootfitter in Boulder. I have no doubt that he does great work, but they never worked for me in several different pairs of boots and caused a massive amount of pain in my feet and legs.
    I figured I'd chime in on this thread. I've been fitting boots and building footbeds for over 14 years. I recommend a footbed for all my customers with the exception of juniors with growing feet. A really good bootfitter or pedorthist (with ski boot exp.) can build a footbed to benefit any foot type. But many bootfitters use one system and subscribe to one philosophy. There are many factors that go into determining the footbed build; arch height, arch flexibility, ankle flexibility, boot fit, boot type (alpine, tele, nordic, snowboard). All these factors and more need to be taken into consideration.

The other factor is the change in boots, skis and skiing technique in the past decade+. In the past I built weighted, subtalar neutral, rigid posted footbeds. I now build weighted or semi weighted, unposted Conformable footbeds. The unposted Conformable product allows for a more dynamic foot in the boot while still providing support and controlling arch "pronation". The product also allows for a great level of customization. I will build a stiffer footbed for more flexible feet and a softer footbed for rigid feet, we can also selectively post the footbed if we need to manipulate the alignment of the foot, arch and ankle. Bottom line, what you need depends on your foot, what you get depends on your bootfitter. A footbed that is not appropriate for your foot can cause terrible discomfort.

Kevo, regarding your specific situation. It sounds like you may have a less flexible arch, and the Superfeet cork footbeds are one of the most rigidly posted and can be very uncomfortable for that foot type.

In closing, I would rather see someone with no footbed than one that is not appropriate for their foot.
    "Right after you finish pointing it and you get up about 30 miles an hour and your skis plane out on top and you start to accelerate and you know you can start turning in powder. Thats the moment." - R.I.P. Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    I threw away my less than impressive footbeds (don't even remember the brand) after I got Intuition liners. They have completely molded to my foot sole, so I have just added a flat sole between shell and liner. It works.
    That's what I've done for years. Works for me. Was on footbeds before with pain. Felt at the time like the performance difference was nothing, but I've always been in a tight fitting race boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Krash View Post
    I figured I'd chime in on this thread. I've been fitting boots and building footbeds for over 14 years. I recommend a footbed for all my customers with the exception of juniors with growing feet. A really good bootfitter or pedorthist (with ski boot exp.) can build a footbed to benefit any foot type. But many bootfitters use one system and subscribe to one philosophy. There are many factors that go into determining the footbed build; arch height, arch flexibility, ankle flexibility, boot fit, boot type (alpine, tele, nordic, snowboard). All these factors and more need to be taken into consideration.

The other factor is the change in boots, skis and skiing technique in the past decade+. In the past I built weighted, subtalar neutral, rigid posted footbeds. I now build weighted or semi weighted, unposted Conformable footbeds. The unposted Conformable product allows for a more dynamic foot in the boot while still providing support and controlling arch "pronation". The product also allows for a great level of customization. I will build a stiffer footbed for more flexible feet and a softer footbed for rigid feet, we can also selectively post the footbed if we need to manipulate the alignment of the foot, arch and ankle. Bottom line, what you need depends on your foot, what you get depends on your bootfitter. A footbed that is not appropriate for your foot can cause terrible discomfort.

Kevo, regarding your specific situation. It sounds like you may have a less flexible arch, and the Superfeet cork footbeds are one of the most rigidly posted and can be very uncomfortable for that foot type.

In closing, I would rather see someone with no footbed than one that is not appropriate for their foot.
    Very insightful post. Thanks.

I've been really happy with intuition liners and no footbed. After years of pain (and seriously, to the point of so bad I can't take it and feel like I'm gonna puke, get these f'n boots off me pain) I'm hesitant to commit more time and money and possibly pain chasing something the perfect footbed.

I'm also still not sold on the idea of footbeds. Some say they are for added support- I can ski all day no pain or tiredness without them. Some say they increase your connection to the ski or your ability to drive a ski- being able to use the smaller muscles in my feet feels very natural and good to me.

In my humble observation, it seems a bit suspect that the answer to almost any question in the boot fitting world is so quickly and consistently "Footbed! You need a footbed." It is such a quick way for a bootfitter to make a couple hundred dollars, and I feel that both bootfitters and skiers who pay them overemphasize the purported benefits of footbeds.

To be honest, I kinda feel like footbeds might the chiropractic snake oil of the skiing world. No, I don't think there is any malicious intent from bootfitters, but I do think that both bootfitters and skiers have been drinking the marketing kool aid from footbed manufacturers without question for a very long time.

I've been really happy with intuition liners and no footbed. ... I can ski all day no pain or tiredness without them....
    Then why in the hell would you bother getting footbeds? Don't ever treat asymptomatic feet!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    Then why in the hell would you bother getting footbeds? Don't ever treat asymptomatic feet!
    Tell that to every bootfitter out there. The cult of the footbed has a strong hold on the skiing community.

Tell that to every bootfitter out there. The cult of the footbed has a strong hold on the skiing community.
    Bumping an old thread. I've tried several custom orthortics over the years, thinking that, this time, I'll feel a difference. Nope, can't say a custom orthotic has ever made my foot feel better or helped me ski better.

Exactly WTF are you trying to feel ? if you don't need em you don't need em but i would think the right people in Aspen would want em

part of rehabbing my knee right now is balancing on that foot for > 30 sec which I can't do in bare feet, I gotta have arch suppport or i fall over cuz my feet are flatter than piss on a plate

so for anybody to say footbeds arent needed by anybody is bulshit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Anyone Else Not Get Along With Custom Footbeds?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Exactly WTF are you trying to feel ? if you don't need em you don't need em but i would think the right people in Aspen would want em

part of rehabbing my knee right now is balancing on that foot for > 30 sec which I can't do in bare feet, I gotta have arch suppport or i fall over cuz my feet are flatter than piss on a plate

so for anybody to say footbeds arent needed by anybody is bulshit
    What am I trying to feel? The increase in responsiveness/performance that is a main selling point. You know, like the reason people buy a race boot.

Most bootfitters will tell you 99% of people “need” them. I agree that some people, like you, do. But 99% is a little far-fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    What am I trying to feel? The increase in responsiveness/performance that is a main selling point. You know, like the reason people buy a race boot.

Most bootfitters will tell you 99% of people “need” them. I agree that some people, like you, do. But 99% is a little far-fetched.
    You're going to the wrong boot fitters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I’ve had both custom and off the shelf. Been running Sole brand insoles for the last 4 seasons. Absolutely love them.
    Some people with really weird feet/knee/hip issues may benefit from customs, myself not so much. Money well saved.

works for some, not for all. Kinda like most things in life

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post

I gots 3 pair of customs ( extended HC eh ) at 250-300 a pair and i gots 3 pair of soles at 40$ a pair, ime the soles work just as well to the point I can't tell the difference between a sole or a custom if you put them in my boots and don't tell me what you did

so yes I agree you don't need custom footbeds but I know I do need footbeds

Since the custom foot bed thing happened there are 40-50 $ off the rack options out there but i duno what will work for you

cuz you are a special flower eh

. . . ime the soles work just as well to the point I can't tell the difference between a sole or a custom if you put them in my boots and don't tell me what you did . . .
    You realize that not everyone has your foot, eh?

I tell people that the vast majority of skiers will be more comfortable and ski better if they have a footbed that works for their physiology.

If a stock Superfeet, Instaprint, Sole or Sidas works well for you, count yourself lucky and save some money. If you have a very high arch, very low arch, or a shape that doesn't resemble a smooth curve - chances are you are a candidate for a custom.

Footbed philosophy has changed a bunch since this thread started - I bet the "best bootfitter in Boulder" isn't doing unweighted cork posted customs anymore (I know I'm not). As with anything else, some people are much better at observing and tailoring the casting method and construction of custom footbeds than others, and it's not always easy to find those people.

What greg said

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    You realize that not everyone has your foot, eh?

I tell people that the vast majority of skiers will be more comfortable and ski better if they have a footbed that works for their physiology.

If a stock Superfeet, Instaprint, Sole or Sidas works well for you, count yourself lucky and save some money. .

well of course not everyone has the same feet

i discovered the sole completely by accident, I am not sure how else a person would figure out which off the shelf insole is going to work for them

but here we got someone saying they don't get along with custom foot beds so what exactly is being said and what exactly is their alternative ?

. . . but here we got someone saying they don't get along with custom foot beds so what exactly is being said and what exactly is their alternative ?
    A single pair of custom footbeds (made 7 years ago in a style that has been for the most part abandoned in the ski industry) by a single bootfitter (no matter how famous) doesn't represent the breadth of options available.