Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2 View Post
    Smoking hot (probably why I followed her). But let's not give her a pass on making poor decisions because we want to bone her.
    If I am to stand a chance; I'm going to be depending on her making more poor decisions.

Not that I'm incapable of making mistakes, i've made plenty, but I still don't see how anyone goes BC without gear? Shit, I wear my beacon at the 'bird on a "considerable" day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Par for the course amoungst the photogs I know. I generally treat them as I do a few guys I sometimes tour with. No decision-making for you! Is there something about photogs and avy awareness that is mutually exclusive?
    I gotta call bullshit on this. Don't get me wrong I am far from perfect and I do make mistakes as anyone does, but when I am out shooting we always try to do our best to not put ourselves and the athletes into harms way. Sure on days when the avy danger is high, we might "push it" a bit by shooting on low-consequence slopes where if it did slide it wouldn't be a big deal I.E. short steep slopes that don't have terrain traps or potential to propagate. I also, make sure that anyone I am with has full avy gear, and that includes air bags on most of them now. We also carry "guide" radios that are programed with the local patrol / heli op's frequencies so if shit does hit the fan we have already taken every possible precaution to stack the odds in our favor.

A wise old mountain man told me years ago you start your life out in the mountains with a handful of luck and hopefully you gain a hand full of knowledge before that luck runs out.

The more knowledgeable I get about the mountains the more I learn that I don't know shit, so I am all for using any technology to my advantage to help stacks the odds in my favor so that my handful of luck doesn't run out any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Not that I'm incapable of making mistakes, i've made plenty, but I still don't see how anyone goes BC without gear? Shit, I wear my beacon at the 'bird on a "considerable" day.
    given the location and size of the, barely the size of a sledding hill, shot, it'd be pretty easy for many people to not have gear and let their guard down on that lil slope. even if it is steep enough to slide and takes you into a terrain trap. i mean it may as well be inbounds. houses, a powerline, a cat road, people everywhere. who's kiddin who here?

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post

[...] Sure on days when the avy danger is high, we might "push it" a bit by shooting on low-consequence slopes where if it did slide it wouldn't be a big deal I.E. short steep slopes that don't have terrain traps or potential to propagate.

[...]

A wise old mountain man told me years ago you start your life out in the mountains with a handful of luck and hopefully you gain a hand full of knowledge before that luck runs out.
    This might be a bit of a slippery slope, and to me at least, seems to indicate a pretty high risk tolerance.

I gotta call bullshit on this. Don't get me wrong I am far from perfect and I do make mistakes as anyone does...
    Yeah but for the most part it's been typos and grammar.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Takes a fairly high risk tolerance to play in avy terrain when conditions are dynamic. That level of tolerance allows some of us to ski excellent powder snow on steep slopes where many would rather avoid it. Both approaches work. To each his/her own. Maybe those that avoid avy terrain party harder off the hill which could have far greater risks

Rog

I don't think Rog even knows what his opinion is on this issue as he seems to be talking out of both sides of his mouth all the time.

I gotta call bullshit on this. Don't get me wrong I am far from perfect and I do make mistakes as anyone does, but when I am out shooting we always try to do our best to not put ourselves and the athletes into harms way. Sure on days when the avy danger is high, we might "push it" a bit by shooting on low-consequence slopes where if it did slide it wouldn't be a big deal I.E. short steep slopes that don't have terrain traps or potential to propagate. I also, make sure that anyone I am with has full avy gear, and that includes air bags on most of them now. We also carry "guide" radios that are programed with the local patrol / heli op's frequencies so if shit does hit the fan we have already taken every possible precaution to stack the odds in our favor.

The more knowledgeable I get about the mountains the more I learn that I don't know shit, so I am all for using any technology to my advantage to help stacks the odds in my favor so that my handful of luck doesn't run out any time soon.
    I don't know you though. Just speaking from personal experiences with the photogs that I know. I'm sure you don't associate with those types of photogs, as well. That's one of the the benefits of being successful in the industry - you get to work with the best. I sometimes wish I gave the whole pro skier thing a shot so I might not've had to sometimes deal with sloppy thirds in terms of partners. Though I guess that didn't work out too well for her.

I guess I'm just tired of skiing with either experienced people who can't ski what I like to ski, or inexperienced people that can (the experienced chargers seem to only exist deep within the unreachable industry, at least out here). /rant off

Thanks for your perspectives Gunder and Gnarwhale.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    if you are having several "accidents" a year - either accept that you are going to get badly hurt or change what you are doing. Because they aren't "accidents' at that rate. me - I'm not a ticket clipping "expert" like you hop - i know I'm fucking falliable. I'm not making fun of airbags - I, long fucking ago, thought it baffling that they weren't accepted as safety equipment. i'm making fun of how everyone now thinks they are the bees knees. It's the typical stupid herd crap. It's funny as shit that people like you now think that they are just the utmost important bit of kit. They've been available for a decade. People could barely give them away on TGR.
    Not sure what you mean about me being a "ticket clipping" expert?

You sound like one of those superfans that gets pissed when their little indy band gets popular and "sells out". If you thought airbags were the bees knees back then, why do you hate on everyone that has finally caught up to you now?

I'm also "fucking" fallible so I might as well stack the deck in my favor in case my brain shuts off for a critical moment. I don't know any recent airbag users that are dropping in to dumb lines just because they now have an airbag, and I do my best to avoid the Sidecountry Airbag Heroes that might. They're probably the same ones that skin up from the bottom of Table anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Still hard to see how you don't ski out of a slide that size.
    You don't ski out of a slide when it rips and it catches you when you're totally stopped. If she hadn't stopped then she shoulda/woulda/coulda made it out of the first one but probably still gotten clobbered by the sympathetic release.

I thought her write-up was pretty candid. She knows she fucked up bigtime and was able to articulate how and why it happened. We can all learn from that and maybe cheat the predetermined fate that rog has planned out for us.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Well, finally found out who it was. Glad she is alright.

Nice boobies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Nice boobies.
    oh yes that is lulu lemon top- they really figured out how to get rid of the dreaded uni-boob with their clothes

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    given the location and size of the, barely the size of a sledding hill, shot, it'd be pretty easy for many people to not have gear and let their guard down on that lil slope. even if it is steep enough to slide and takes you into a terrain trap. i mean it may as well be inbounds. houses, a powerline, a cat road, people everywhere. who's kiddin who here?

rog
    What the FUCK? I just found myself nodding in agreement with rog! That's it I am off to take an Avy 2 refresher course.
    Hey Dowork next time you see me would you punch me in the forehead for this? K thanx...
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Oh, sure, deny bits of your internet legend hop. Your online posturing is the best. Yeah, yeah, you are a fucking expert, you blah de fucking blah. We know that already. I'm not one of the people who care about you or gunder or the baker crew
    Man, some serious hop animosity! He hits on everybody's sister/wife/daughter (usually asking if they speak the "international language" or something...) so don't bother trying to exact vengeance, that line is a long one and you'll be in the back. If, however, this is due to him giving you crabs I completely understand, the dirty ass hippy he is.
    smoke crack and worship satan

Dammit WC! Don't spoil it for Carl! He loves to hate what he secretly loves. If he didn't care he wouldn't be telling everyone how much he doesn't care. It obviously affects him.

The Bonin Petrels

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    pretty funny that no one wants their intellectual properties watermarked
    when then their properties don't show much intelligence
    wonder if he's workin on his blog
    or hopin it'll just get buried
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Spoil what? I know you are a creepy asshole Adam who takes his internet very seriously.

Yeah man, I secretly fucking love you. Everyone wants to be just like you and the sponsored pros doing stupid shit in the Canyons for shitty pow day photos that all look the fucking same because they are all the same - utah pow schralping turn. Ugh, such a fucking cliche'd look. But that's what everyone fucking wants man - maybe y'all could tell us another 5,000 times here about how fucking awesome it is and how y'all are experts. And how you live the dream.

such a fucking monocultural joke. maybe we could just hold the Hunger Games in the Wasatch

hop - bro - I will fully agree that the LCC/BCC face shot, pow photo image, is what's setting all of the gNar issues of 2002-2007 issues OFF!!!

She's hot. I'd slide on top of her too. The mountain just wanted a piece
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Respect to the pretty lady for articulately owning up.

Hugh and Hop are not so different when seen from above, they should bro hug and make up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3110031.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	146483

Name:	P3017311.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	146484
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Utah:

Colorado will see your foolishness and raise you 3 ice climbers. http://grandlin.es/southeast-russell...ember-11-2013/

Gotta add fuel to the fire

Lifted from her bio. She credits the slide to complacency. Looks like a lot of side country I ski.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    but I still don't see how anyone goes BC without gear? Shit, I wear my beacon at the 'bird on a "considerable" day.
    ^^^^^
    Dead on....WTF? I mean a skier died inbounds about 2 seasons ago at the bird, skiing open terrain. How the hell hard is it to put your beacon on EVERY ski day? Why not carry a shovel nearly all the time? I don't know but it seems that, being a bystander, I would want to be able to help, so to me its worth carrying my shit most days. Plus if I happen to lose a ski on a deep day maybe i can use it to dig for the ski?

they all made mistakes here, in the end the one who did get caught in the slide had "all the gear", problem was, she got buried. Not much help her shovels going to be. She owns up to all of this shit in her blog obviously, but it doesnt change the poor decision making. Chalk it up to the whole being young and indestructible mentality. I got kids....much like Rog i would rather meadow skip, call me what you will.

Glad all involved are ok and im sure all are seriously thinking about what happened and how to make it so it wont happen again.

Spoil what? I know you are a creepy asshole Adam who takes his internet very seriously.

Yeah man, I secretly fucking love you. Everyone wants to be just like you and the sponsored pros doing stupid shit in the Canyons for shitty pow day photos that all look the fucking same because they are all the same - utah pow schralping turn. Ugh, such a fucking cliche'd look. But that's what everyone fucking wants man - maybe y'all could tell us another 5,000 times here about how fucking awesome it is and how y'all are experts. And how you live the dream.

such a fucking monocultural joke. maybe we could just hold the Hunger Games in the Wasatch
    1. I haven't skied in Utah since January 2008.
    2. You're the one calling me an expert, not me.
    3. According to current ski media I'm Japanese.

For someone that allegedly doesn't care about extremo pros and the bullshit ski media surrounding them you certainly let it get under your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    Respect to the pretty lady for articulately owning up.

Hugh and Hop are not so different when seen from above, they should bro hug and make up

Name:	P3110031.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	146483

Name:	P3017311.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	146484
    I'd be happy to but I dunno if that's possible when there are deep e-issues going waaay back that would need to be resolved. I doubt he'd let himself get w/in 10m of an industry douchebag like me, let alone go for the bro-hug (side-angle, one-arm backslap, other arm awkwardly to the side, pelvis out so no chance of junk touching).

Anyways, sorry about the hop vs. Hugh thread drift. The point of this thread and this particular forum is to discuss and learn from this, and other, avalanches.

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    It's always a shame when a hot chick whose into peeing on people dies.
    I have nothing to add to this scintillating conversation other than after 9 years I am seriously considering changing my auto-signature.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle