Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Love the nonchalance of the guy in the vid when she kicks it ..."yep"

I haven't really heard of many people that have had multiple 'accidents' a year. Do you have more info about some of these? would be interested to learn more.

Yes technology has gotten way better for avi safety and I will take advantage of those advances. As a friend said- the best piece of avalanche equipment is between your two ears. But for us it comes down to the more time you spend in the mountains, the more potential there is for things to happen no matter how much you think about it, take precautions, whatever. It's a matter of statistics.
    For a few hundred bucks- yes I will buy a pack that *may* help save me some day- especially since we wear packs pretty much everyday anyway. Is there any negative? (aside from those that believe I will take more chances bc of said pack) Hell no- I'm scared as hell of being buried with or without the technology on my back.
    Some will feel a false sense of security with the technology- but these are probably the same people who drive their huge SUV's like maniacs bc they feel invincible (or have a micro penis)

Different photog, differnet athlete in that accident I saw last winter. Here's the accident report: http://utahavalanchecenter.org/avala...-fork-headwall

I was commenting on a vid of a woman skiing into a small bowl and stopping at the bottom.
    Apparently she yanked her airbag rip cord when she realized she was the deposition zone.
    It was so bonehead, it looked staged to elicit comments.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gnarwhale View Post
    Different photog, differnet athlete in that accident I saw last winter. Here's the accident report: http://utahavalanchecenter.org/avala...-fork-headwall
    Not the first time that athlete was involved in an accident in that area too...
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Obviously they were going for the "go straight and lay down in the snow" pow shot. How many times have we seen that shit?! Takes way more talent and skill from both skier and photographer to capture a real, unique moment in time from actually ripping a creative, safe line. I think how you got it should count just as much as how it looks.
    Love it. Really sick of that bullshit. Probably a good 99% of all 'faceshot powderspray photos' leave the skier on their side.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    I just think she "got the picture" and was stopping in the slide zone at the bottom of the steep pitch and didn't realize the avy was already on top of her. She was probably going to take her skis off and start bootpacking up that slope to set up for another photo opportunity ....I say in half jest...
    I came up with the same sad conclusion (either that, or she was so psyched she made a wicked turn, she didn't know what to do next and just stopped).

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I always find the crotch strap affects my decision making.
    You know, if you make a habit of thinking with your dick, why not loosen the crotch strap a little?
    Last edited by Lindahl; 12-12-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Found the report from the girl (apparently I follow her on Instagram):

http://amieski.com/blog-2/

Reading the comment from Kobernik as well as from her blog thingy do help to understand the thought process.

The argument for/against/about airbags will continue and as long as people are getting caught and surviving in part because of gear the controversy will not go away.

This incident made our local paper as well and for everyone who gets it that airbags are just another tool, there will be those that see them as a vaccine.

Glad she is o.k.

There will be avalanche fatalities this winter.

Try not to be that guy/gal cause death is permanent.

So it goes.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I'm impressed with her humbleness and honesty! Good write up and reminder of how it's easy to get enticed by the dark side of the pow

Hopefully this incident will also dispell that that area is a 'safe zone' and doesn't warrant wearing avi gear.

One thing I often have a hard time with (and I suspect other ladies do too) is the orientation of N, S, E & W when at a new area. and I know this is imperative in reading and assessing the dangers but I don't have the great internal compass some have. Guess it's a good reminder for me to get that dialed first off

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    damn that protog w/ the pom pom beanie sure looks familiar
    sure hope it aint who i think it is
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Still hard to see how you don't ski out of a slide that size.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2 View Post
    Found the report from the girl (apparently I follow her on Instagram):

http://amieski.com/blog-2/

I gained respect for her due to the fact she admit she literally pissed herself on her blog. She is hot too. Stupid, but hot.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Smoking hot (probably why I followed her). But let's not give her a pass on making poor decisions because we want to bone her. The other people in the group are at fault as well, but she said she saw the "considerable" avalanche conditions and charged ahead anyway. Good thing she's not a hot corpse.

Insightful that their approach did not bring them within sight of the existing slide.

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfRelease View Post
    Insightful that their approach did not bring them within sight of the existing slide.
    The photog is standing right underneath it in the pic, correct?

She also says they had cell phones to phone said pro photog.

Glad she's not dead and someone was around with a beacon to conduct a search. It's always a shame when a hot chick whose into peeing on people dies.

That's him in the bottom left in the shadows of the tree, yeah? It helps me better understand her perspective but questions what the photog was thinking leading an out of towner down a slope like that with so many red flags.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    The photog is standing right underneath it in the pic, correct?

She also says they had cell phones to phone said pro photog.

Glad she's not dead and someone was around with a beacon to conduct a search. It's always a shame when a hot chick whose into peeing on people dies.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I gained respect for her due to the fact she admit she literally pissed herself on her blog. She is hot too. Stupid, but hot.
    Pissing your way out of an avalanche is pretty much standard protocol....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Good find. She def won't make those mistakes again, and hopefully others wont as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfRelease View Post
    That's him in the bottom left in the shadows of the tree, yeah? It helps me better understand her perspective but questions what the photog was thinking leading an out of towner down a slope like that with so many red flags.
    Par for the course amoungst the photogs I know. I generally treat them as I do a few guys I sometimes tour with. No decision-making for you! Is there something about photogs and avy awareness that is mutually exclusive?

Interesting. Her family has a long history at Squaw, including a run named after her dad.

Good on her for writing it up like that. As said, hopefully she and the rest of the party won't make the same mistake again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Oh! Small world as i feel like i know her. I mean i've mentally taken her clothes off the many times i've looked at her yoga photos on skireport.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Is there something about photogs and avy awareness that is mutually exclusive?
    Conflict of interest. If you want to shoot tight-cropped pow turns, you have to be on the terrain feature the skier is skiing on. And if you conceptualize photography as a competition with other photographers for a limited supply of cheddar, then you'll always be pressuring yourself and your athletes to up the ante. If you're also thinking of pow skiing as a competition for a limited supply of freshies, then days when you ignore a trail of red flags to get pow turns and bangers are inevitable.

someone here knows her but hasn't chimed in yet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcade-belts-poster.jpg 
Views:	1243 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	146409

new UAC slogan.

Utah Backcountry skiers keeping Hot Girls on top!!!:

srsly glad she is still with us

Bonus Her Top (or lack of) is close to SEAFOAM
    Last edited by F#*k You Cat; 12-12-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Seafoam

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2 View Post
    Good thing she's not a hot corpse.
    I dunno, I'd probably have more of a chance of getting her into bed if she was.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I dunno, I'd probably have more of a chance of getting her into bed if she was.
    Refreshingly honest!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident