Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    Then go ahead and make gross generalizations. Pretty douchey way to go about life.
    Heh, listen to you you judgemental little prick. I made a statement. Those that feel that they're decisions aren't swayed by the gear they carry, know that and feel confident in that. However there are many whose decisions are swayed when using the latest/greatest. Many lines would not be dropped by skiers that don't have a bag verses those who do. Simple.

Rog

Quote Originally Posted by camlax View Post
    well put. sidecountry airbag heros will be the new norm.

(im not anti-airbag though) like any tool they have a time and a place.
    I agree- there will always be a few bad apples i.e. sidecountry airbag heros ruining it for the rest of us. And it's heartbreaking to see people being careless and losing their lives for it every yr.

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    Heh, listen to you you judgemental little prick. I made a statement. Those that feel that they're decisions aren't swayed by the gear they carry, know that and feel confident in that. However there are many whose decisions are swayed when using the latest/greatest. Many lines would not be dropped by skiers that don't have a bag verses those who do. Simple.

Rog
    Haha! who's being judgemental? No need to get your panties in a bunch.
    I am also allowed to have an opinion and make statements- am I not?
    Yours are based on a gross generalization. Mine was based on personal experience which I was sharing.
    chillax Rog

And I was never disputing that some people are swayed by what is in their pack- there have been and always will be those people.
    Just the gross generalization that anyone who chooses to wear an ABS pack, as I do, just doesn't use their brain or is negligent.
    That is what I was dispelling and you were snooty about it. So accept snoot back if you can dish it out

I agree- there will always be a few bad apples i.e. sidecountry airbag heros ruining it for the rest of us. And it's heartbreaking to see people being careless and losing their lives for it every yr.
    people die every day in every way all over the world. avalanche deaths are a 1st world problem, a very minute 1st world problem. a very minute contribution to population control.

rog

Link to the video?

Was this Caroline Gleich?

And I was never disputing that some people are swayed by what is in their pack- there have been and always will be those people.
    Just the gross generalization that anyone who chooses to wear an ABS pack, as I do, just doesn't use their brain or is negligent.
    That is what I was dispelling and you were snooty about it. So accept snoot back if you can dish it out
    I accept the snoot back, thank you

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Link to the video?

Was this Caroline Gleich?
    No. 1234

This whole scenario is fucked. First anyone that thinks skiing inbounds with a sketchy snowpack is safe is retarded. Inbound slides can and do happen. Second, if your going into the BC or Side country in this case there is NEVER an excuse to not have your avy gear. Third if your a photog, your avy gear is the lightest part of your kit. Once again your fucking retarded if it doesn't stay in your camera pack 247. There is no reason to ever take it out. Fourth, The resorts around SLC especially Little Cottonwood canyon bread stupid backcountry decisions in my mind with there polices of opening up sketchy mid mountain traverses instead of making people hike and ski from the top. Shit like this pisses me off. It gives all of us trying to make a liking shooting ski pics a bad name. It's one thing if you have all of your shit together, discuss the possible scenarios and shit just goes wrong. Its an entirely another case if you are out shooting on a sketchy day with no gear.

BTW really curious to know who the photog / skiers where.

my last comment on this incident is this:
    after reading the UAC report and talk with the girl, this is my question...
    they thought they were being "avy savy" by sending the group member with gear first. what good does this do if nobody else has rescue gear? were they blindly counting on the fact that other user groups out there had the gear and knowledge to affect a rescue? after years and years of witnessing the collective grizzly gulch shitshow grow, i wouldn't ever blindly count on the fact that other groups in that area would be able to help in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Outing themselves would take some really big balls and ovaries.
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post
    Outing themselves would take some really big balls and ovaries.
    I'd have way more respect for them if the acknowledge that they really fucked up. That way they might learn something from this.

The guy in pic 3 of the report seems to be the photog, blue pants and black jacket. You can seem him in the lower lookers left corner of the shot where she trigger the slide. Anyone?

Sierra Quitquit?

It was probably someone trying to get an action shot for Black Diamond of the air bag pack in deployment.

Did he at least get her # for saving her life?

Its no "accident that could happen to any of us" when only one in the party is carrying proper avey gear. Its called ignorance and shear stupidity.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    This whole scenario is fucked. First anyone that thinks skiing inbounds with a sketchy snowpack is safe is retarded. Inbound slides can and do happen. Second, if your going into the BC or Side country in this case there is NEVER an excuse to not have your avy gear. Third if your a photog, your avy gear is the lightest part of your kit. Once again your fucking retarded if it doesn't stay in your camera pack 247. There is no reason to ever take it out. Fourth, The resorts around SLC especially Little Cottonwood canyon bread stupid backcountry decisions in my mind with there polices of opening up sketchy mid mountain traverses instead of making people hike and ski from the top. Shit like this pisses me off. It gives all of us trying to make a liking shooting ski pics a bad name. It's one thing if you have all of your shit together, discuss the possible scenarios and shit just goes wrong. Its an entirely another case if you are out shooting on a sketchy day with no gear.

Good to hear that some of the pros have their heads on straight! Hope you are able to convey some....professional advice.... to the party in question as, really, we expect the people who we see in the magazines to have some semblance of a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    we expect the people who we see in the magazines to have some semblance of a clue.
    Obviously they were going for the "go straight and lay down in the snow" pow shot. How many times have we seen that shit?! Takes way more talent and skill from both skier and photographer to capture a real, unique moment in time from actually ripping a creative, safe line. I think how you got it should count just as much as how it looks.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    seen all i need
    she sold me on getting an air bag pack
    now i just need to know if she uses dukes, guardians or those shitty frischis
    back to the roj cuntjectin his opinion
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

sidecountry airbag heros
    Phrase of the year. That will never leave my head. Good job summarizing a new demographic.

Too bad it's a shitty acronym.

SAC. Hyperlink. Tag. Pad.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I have a feeling that we aren't getting the whole story yet. I doubt that there would be only one person in a group with avy gear. She probably had other skiers in the group who hadn't dropped yet who were equipped. Photog was located in a safe spot. Just trying to give them benefit of the doubt until we here the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    I have a feeling that we aren't getting the whole story yet. I doubt that there would be only one person in a group with avy gear. She probably had other skiers in the group who hadn't dropped yet who were equipped. Photog was located in a safe spot. Just trying to give them benefit of the doubt until we here the whole story.
    Is this a serious post? If there were others in the group with gear, why wouldn't they have helped to find her and dig her out?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    they were busy instagramin for their spansers
    goin skiing someone tweet me the whole story so i can stay on top
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Made the weather channel.

something about this whole thing still strikes me as odd. There isnt even an attempt to keep skiing. As soon as the slide breaks skier stops. No point it down, no keep going skiers right. Just seems weird...