Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    reading the review,sounds like they may have improved the shifting on the Kubota.
    All six RTV900 models-Standard, Worksite, Recreation, Turf, Turf Utility and Worksite Utility-feature selectable four-wheel drive, Kubota's exclusive three-range variable hydrostatic transmission and a Kubota three-cylinder, liquid-cooled diesel engine rated at 21.6 hp. Kubota has added an Easy Range Shift Assist Mechanism--by depressing the brake pedal and pulling the shaft assist knob, gear changes are made more easily. Kubota's engineers also boosted the reverse speed reduction ratio by 17% to give the RTV900 models increased torque for extra traction in adverse working conditions.
    sounds like they have addressed the shifting and some of the gutless issues. Would be nice to demo side by side.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

Are the Bobcats USA-made?
    Huge American success story started in North Dakota.. Wiki lists them as an American manufacturer but Parent Company is Doosan Group of South Korea

I've always thought of Bobcat as contractor grade...anything they made as the bomb.

It was raining hard, we didn't do a demo yet but a side by side would be cool....I like Bobcat, estate owner leaning to Kubota..
    say something that'll push this either way (in may favor of course)

Bobcat looks like the better work vehicle. Almost 50% more HP with gas and FI to boot which will be more reliable. I would go diesel but I know some on here complain "it's noisy". Better load and towing capacities mean better results pulling wood and carrying crap around. Not pumkin orange.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Bobcat looks like the better work vehicle. Almost 50% more HP with gas and FI to boot which will be more reliable. I would go diesel but I know some on here complain "it's noisy". Better load and towing capacities mean better results pulling wood and carrying crap around. Not pumkin orange.
    I hear you about the horse power..I tried that angle, then backpedaled and said HP doesn't beat torque in this situation....then the push button technology of the bobcat had me leary...

What won out in the end was the Kubota dealer only being 3 miles down the road(as Tipp had determined way back when)...she arrived today 2013 RTV 900xt...I'm psyched..the orange clashes with my hair but I'll survive

I searched farm forums a little also, pushed the polaris, the mule, the bobcat for a bit...I have zero issues with the new arrival..two hours on the clock :-))

Have fun bitch, you dragging yo sorry ass up here to ski? ML is coming Wed. w/ A** for two weeks. We should get some turns in.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

i can't keep up with you boys anymore...i need this golf cart to get my sorry ass around here as it is

but will be in touch
    thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyWood View Post
    i can't keep up with you boys anymore...i need this golf cart to get my sorry ass around here as it is

but will be in touch
    thanks all
    His ass gets around just fine...here AND on the slopes.

I'm pretty psyched about the appearance of horses given my past in equestrian pursuits. That past is 20 yrs gone, and I'm thinking I need a refresher...but more than willing to go for that. Now that I'm so removed from the snow I need something to keep me in check. This is just the summer past-time I needed to keep me out of (or better yet, in) trouble once school's out.

PS - I did get a few rides in the little tractor thing and it's pretty cool!

PPS - Hi everyone, I'm still alive
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

a ladies trifecta today, altachick, snowsprite and the moses lake girl.
    b

Since this thread popped up again I'm going to add this to the line-up of potential farm vehicles. I give you The Bad Boy.

I will be purchasing a Bad Boy Outlaw XP this year - very excited. It will be perfect for keeping things neat and tidy in and around the stable area and jump field. I'm also hoping to use it on some hilly areas that are uncomfortable in the tractor. Whoo hoo!

^^^interdasting

post up a TR with pics when time permits
    watch out for snakes

I've got two hay burners I would give away right now. Chipping frozen turds off the stall floor this morning in -7 was not fun.
    Tuff winter to be married to an equestrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I've got two hay burners I would give away right now. Chipping frozen turds off the stall floor this morning in -7 was not fun.
    You need a shitless horse. pm Benny.

Girls always go for the bad boy.

edit: I might ask someone why the most recent catalog is from 2012 before I spent a lot of money on one.
    Last edited by iceman; 02-28-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Sounds like you need more shavings/straw. My stalls are fine but my paddocks can get to be a bit of a chore - we're pretty dry over here too so maybe that makes a difference. Good on you for helping!

Girls always go for the bad boy.

edit: I might ask someone why the most recent catalog is from 2012 before I spent a lot of money on one.
    Hadn't noticed that - spoke with the regional rep and local dealer the other day. I've been looking at these for more than a year so I already had a catalog that was current at the time. <shrug> Maybe they don't want to waste money and paper when they have a web site? I've been researching mowers for a while and the general advice from ppl who use zero turn mowers for 2-5 acres is get the best you can and it will pay for itself in the long run but I suppose that is true with all things. Yes, bad boys...... LOL!

Edit: Where I'm mowing is not smooth even ground so I need a mower with a lot of flex. Many of the other brands out there have really stiff decks that simply cannot take the constant jarring. This mower can take it better than my bush hog.

We have a fleet of Mules and Gators at the job. I spend about 20 hours a week in the drivers seat.

Most of us prefer the Mules - Larger wheels, bigger bed, has a low gear. Also, the gator is extremely slow.

The Mules tend to have transmission issues.
    The Gators tend to have axle/wheel bearing issues. We have one that has more unnatural wheel-camber than a teenage boys civic.

Seems like they don't make quality tires for this class of vehicle. Constantly flatting those things - this is a construction site though - nails, rebar, etc...
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Sounds like you need more shavings/straw. My stalls are fine but my paddocks can get to be a bit of a chore - we're pretty dry over here too so maybe that makes a difference. Good on you for helping!
    Helping? You mean I have a choice?

We use the wood pellets. I didn't put enough down and didn't water them because it's been fricking below zero for three months and yes, my paddocks a mess. Trough heater issues too.

I don't normally mind and actually kind of like it, it just been a really hard winter here.

Helping? You mean I have a choice?

We use the wood pellets. I didn't put enough down and didn't water them because it's been fricking below zero for three months and yes, my paddocks a mess. Trough heater issues too.

I don't normally mind and actually kind of like it, it just been a really hard winter here.
    Ooooh pellets - yeah, nixed those because of the adding water thing during the cold winter but they do break down better than shaving. I can't use straw because I have a horse that will eat it and he's fat as a butcher hog as it is. It's funny, and seems counter intuitive but having more bedding makes cleaning stalls easier because it keeps the poo balls from getting pulverized esp if you have a stall walker.

Not everyone enjoys cleaning stalls but it can be a peaceful mindless task. I clean when I feed in the morning at 7am - nice and quiet with just the sound of happy munching horses.

"Cherry Hill's Horse Care for Kids" arrived today as well as two horses...
    The owner's 9 month old Labrador is eating the horse poop in the paddock... either that's a help or I'll be strapped to a shovel and bucket trying keep the dog from getting it...prob the latter

Loving the Kubota 900xt so far

Re: the mower.. we have guatemalans with large decks

... we have guatemalans with large dicks
    …is what I thought it said at first.

"Cherry Hill's Horse Care for Kids" arrived today as well as two horses...
    The owner's 9 month old Labrador is eating the horse poop in the paddock... either that's a help or I'll be strapped to a shovel and bucket trying keep the dog from getting it...prob the latter

Loving the Kubota 900xt so far

Re: the mower.. we have guatemalans with large decks
    You'll have to post pics! Yeah, pups love poop. Great to roll in too! LOL!

Kubotas are nice - you will not regret choosing that over an ATV. Much more versatile and, I think, more comfortable to ride.
    Last edited by KQ; 03-02-2014 at 08:51 AM.

my choco lab rolls in horse dung, rubs that shit all over her muzzle.
    b

how are ATV's for plowing snow?

I plowed with a Polaris 500 ATV for few winters. Works pretty well but they don't weigh enough to push a lot of snow. Tire chains help. Sometimes on heavy wetter days I would smell the drive belt cooking.

^^Yep. If you have to move a lot I'd go with a pickup and a snowblower to clean up.

how are ATV's for plowing snow?
    Popular around here, but mostly the set that doesn't want a 1977 rusted out scout with a real plow parked in the driveway.
    Living vicariously through myself.