Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'll take it.

I'll put a bow on it and we'll call it your Christmas present for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    A side by is 60" wide versus 48" for an ATV, and the 6x is double the length. So, yes the ATV gets around better. The 6x has double the towing capacity, in addition to a sizable payload on the bed. With tracks, you can actually pull the payload on mud or snow; with an ATV you lose traction much sooner. Each has it's uses.

Or you could just get a skidder.
    If anybody has seen that god aweful movie " The Grey" we were cleaning up the site of the shoot, we had a polaris crew 800 and a couple of guys had their ride-on top atv's, the polaris was > twice as fast up or down the rocks under a gentle T-bar line carrying 6 and gear

also we were belted into a rollcage whereas one of the guys on an ATV told me at some point in the past he had flipped it and broken his back
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

also we were belted into a rollcage whereas one of the guys on an ATV told me at some point in the past he had flipped it and broken his back
    I was thinking that too - the roll cage and stability are a big plus not to mention you can get a fully enclosed cab to keep you warm/cool and dust free PLUS your sitting and using a steering wheel not straddling and shifting handle bars left and right.

During the recent floods, one of the rescues we made with the 6x was a local who had rolled his ATV. Busted up pretty good.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Or you can go with a unimog -- the original UTV
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Saw a unimog for sale in cle elum a couple weeks ago... I chuckled.

Sit on top ATV with a blade IS good for plowing a big drive way IME

Sit on top ATV with a blade IS good for plowing a big drive way IME
    Been doing this for six years; it works.. Kinda sucks on a snowy day, though; gotta wear goggles and waterproof pants. Gore-tex does NOT seal out water when you're sliding around on an ATV seat for a couple of hours. An enclosed cab would be much more comfy.

couple of hrs on an atv is one fuck of alot of driveway IME

The dw used to take 2hrs with an 8hp snow blower

The 500cc 4x4 atv with 5 ft blade could do that same job in 1/2 hr and leave me still wanting to play snowplow driver

A few of our field guys are running Kubota RTV-1100s. Diesel engine, closed cab with heat and A/C, power steering, hydraulic bed. Little fuckers are fast, too.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    Or you can go with a unimog -- the original UTV
    think the tirolean hicks choose something more like this these days
    Attachment 146308

pretty close to whatever vaporwear was featured earlier

On my family's wheat farm in Saskatchewan we use a few of THESE:

They'll pull what you want just fine. But they might blow your budget...plus they're thirsty on the diesel fuel!! Fun as hell to play around in, though!!

"The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post

They'll pull what you want just fine. But they might blow your budget...plus they're thirsty on the diesel fuel!! Fun as hell to play around in, though!!

Went on a tour of the factory in Iowa this summer where those are built. Impressive to see them on the assembly line.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

couple of hrs on an atv is one fuck of alot of driveway IME

The dw used to take 2hrs with an 8hp snow blower

The 500cc 4x4 atv with 5 ft blade could do that same job in 1/2 hr and leave me still wanting to play snowplow driver
    Get your ass and ATV up here for the next storm! I have to plow about 500 yards, and we get a ton of snow. It usually takes an hour or two to get it all cleaned up. Worst part is making it wide enough for the next snowfall; if it's set up at all, I have to make a shit-ton of smaller passes to get it to move. It gets boring pretty damn fast.

We tried it with a snowblower the first year we were here; we gave up after barely making a dent in two hours.

I think Flyover needs one of these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7506h62_27.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	146326
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

^^^ That would be awesome! One of my neighbors has a bulldozer; I'd just have him do my driveway too, but he's a full-blown Nazi who believes aliens put us on earth as an experiment, so it's best if I just avoid talking to him.

I don't think the OP will have any woods left to gather fire wood in once he's done using that. Maybe he should just go with the bulldozer.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I don't think the OP will have any woods left to gather fire wood in once he's done using that. Maybe he should just go with the bulldozer.
    AKR is talking about Saskatchewan, those trees in the background are the only ones existing in the southern half of the province.

I used and abused a Kubota B series tractor with a vinyl (soft) cab and heater for a few years while living in MT. Just kept it fueled and greased and never had a problem. I used a couple of 100' x 3/8" cables to skid full logs out to the road/driveway, then log tongs on the 3-point to drag them to the shop and cut them there. I briefly attempted to use my ATV for this stuff and learned they just won't last long with heavy work.

Also very useful for plowing (pile snow 8' high), road building and grading, moving heavy stuff, small dirt work projects, pulling cars out of the ditch/snowbank, etc. We were building a house at the time so it was easy to justify. I would strongly recommend chaining up the tires on frozen ground/snow for any UTV or tractor.

Since we've entered AKR's realm of absurdity, I'll throw in this entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    ^^^ That would be awesome! One of my neighbors has a bulldozer; I'd just have him do my driveway too, but he's a full-blown Nazi who believes aliens put us on earth as an experiment, so it's best if I just avoid talking to him.
    you mean they didn't ?

For what they'll do, they aren't bad on fuel.

The really high horse power fwd row crop tractors are popular in my area. They can kindda do what the 4wheel drives will do in a pinch, but holy shit they'll burn fuel and rubber to get it done.

Thanks all

I'm going with a horse

Get a mule...

And name it Lightening.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!