Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Who's touring with their dogs

Hey,

Our pup is just about to turn 2 and after doing a bunch of xc skiing last year, this'll be his first year touring with me. Anyone taking their dog into the back country? Care to share some tips or tricks I should know that aren't obvious to keeping him happy and healthy (therefore my girlfriend happy)? He's a Vizsla, so short haired and long eared. I'm primarily worried about his ears getting injured. Anyone had any experience dealing with that sort of thing? I've seen some GSPs on here, they must have the same issue. Anyone using one of those dog head warmers?

Otherwise if you've got video/photo or anything of your furry dude skiing post'em'up. I'm pretty stoked to be introducing him to touring.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    I'm primarily worried about his ears getting injured.
    Well, thank god we're worrying about the important stuff.

If you're experienced with dogs you can ignore this. Dogs will keep going until they drop if you let them. They have evolved to be stoic--animals that appear to be hurt become prey. Their physical comfort is less important to them than pleasing and being with you. Dogs can get themselves into places they can't get out and you can't get them out (there was a long thread a few years ago about a guy who left his dog in a rocky chute). Start slow and build up gradually--if the dog seems to want to just lie around for a day after a trip you pushed him too hard. You have to set the limit for them; they won't do it themselves. With training dogs can do great things--a guy skied around Mt Whitney with a 15 pound dog. A husky climbed the Emperor Face of Mt Robson. I'll leave specific suggestions to more experienced people.

PM Powdork or Chainsaw Willie. They both tour a bunch with Nacho and Jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I toured with my dog till he fell down a mountain and got fucked up ragdolling over rocks. He gets pissed but stays home now.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

A dog is the weakest link in your group.

It's all about risk. And since your dog can't assess risk, you'll have to do that for him. If your dog stays away from skis/boards (search and you'll find stories and pics of bandaged legs), then riding some low-angle, stable snow, in an area where he's not going to interfere with other people, should be pretty safe.

OTOH, if you take your dog into no-fall-zones, or traverse cliff bands, or go to crowded areas, or go on days where the avy risk is anything but low, then you might be asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you're experienced with dogs you can ignore this. Dogs will keep going until they drop if you let them. They have evolved to be stoic--animals that appear to be hurt become prey. Their physical comfort is less important to them than pleasing and being with you.
    GF's families Lab has "evolved" out of this... He balls like a baby at any unexpected external stimulus or if he thinks he's being left behind. He had an absolute blast skiing, but hated the fact that I was faster than him on the down. He kept looking at me like WTF?! Stick to glades / places where a dog won't rag doll if he falls. Train him "Back" or to stay at least a poles distance away from you at all times when you have skis on. Otto learned really quickly by me pushing him away with my pole handle while skinning and throwing treats when he was staying away from me. See threads about training for skiing as suggested above.

His ears will be fine. He'll be burning so much energy the blood will be pumping through them.

Don't put a beacon on your dog.

had a buddy's dog get a nasty gash on her leg from an edge. so, when i first started taking my dog touring, i would whack him with my pole whenever he came near my skis, and got my buds to do the same. he figured it out pretty quick, and now stays away from those edges.

I tour with my dog a lot, but only on mellow to moderate terrain, mostly tree skiing and occasionally low angled (<35 degrees) soft corn on low avy danger days. She definitely won't let me know if she's hurting, and isn't as scared of heights as she should be, so I keep her away from cliffs and long, hard days. Luckily, she always stays behind me so collisions haven't been a problem.

I don't tour in steep terrain with my V's. But I MTB with them everyday, in all weather conditions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00033-20120519-0708 (2).jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	146058 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	038.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	146059 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	422.9 KB 
ID:	146060

These are my fourth and fifth V's in 23 years, so I'm pretty familiar with the breed. They're pretty hardy dogs, if they're used to being outside. I am a lot and mine just want to be with me. My rides are on the short sides since I ride before work. One hour mid-week and usually around three on the weekends, 8-30 miles a day.
    Coldest they've ever been out was -26 and they did dance around a little because it hurt there feet. Their ears do feel cold, but I've never seen or experienced any adverse reaction and I don't think it's an issue I would worry about. It was 16 this morning and they had a blast.
    If I was going to be outside in 0F weather for more than eight hours, I'd probably put a coat on them, if I had one.

If it's deep, POW or spring corn, and you have significant low angle gliding, as opposed to skinning where you are creating a decent platform for the pup, it takes a while for the dog to cross and looks very taxing. Think carrying speed down and across a large meadow poling and skating, when you look back and your descent is way back there and so is the dog.

Yeah obviously sketchy situations are accentuated by a dog and non-optimal situations can be upgraded to sketch by the wrong dog.

This is as much observation as personal practice as my wife brings her dog which really only give's a rats ass about being with her, then someone with food.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

No BC touring with my labs but I do skin at the resort after hours with them.

Can only reiterate the warnings about keeping them away from skis. In a fraction of a second of inattention last weekend the 2yr old got mixed up in my ski tips and its was ugly. Big laceration, blood gushing etc. etc. Nearly an hour to carry the heavy 75lb bugger down and a few stitches, staples and $400 later he'll be just fine but we were lucky no tendons got sliced.

Emergency vet told me he was the first of 4 that day and they had 4 the day prior as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I don't tour in steep terrain with my V's. But I MTB with them everyday, in all weather conditions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00033-20120519-0708 (2).jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	146058 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	038.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	146059 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	422.9 KB 
ID:	146060

These are my fourth and fifth V's in 23 years, so I'm pretty familiar with the breed. They're pretty hardy dogs, if they're used to being outside. I am a lot and mine just want to be with me. My rides are on the short sides since I ride before work. One hour mid-week and usually around three on the weekends, 8-30 miles a day.
    Coldest they've ever been out was -26 and they did dance around a little because it hurt there feet. Their ears do feel cold, but I've never seen or experienced any adverse reaction and I don't think it's an issue I would worry about. It was 16 this morning and they had a blast.
    If I was going to be outside in 0F weather for more than eight hours, I'd probably put a coat on them, if I had one.
    My family has one. Theyre great dogs. 11 years old and still runs 5-7 miles a day and gets a 3-4 mile walk after for the little mutt we have. Very rarely seen her cold. She will shiver, but wont ever complain about going outside. Nothing can really stop them from having fun outside.

My 12 year old lab stays at home unless we are XCing.

The 6 year old Pointer/St. Bernard mix comes along on many BC adventures, unless it is very deep or steep. If it is very deep he can't keep up and if it is steep I worry about him rag dolling.

Last weekend

Words can't describe how happy it makes her. I got her a Ruffwear Cloud Something jacket because she ices up really bad otherwise. Don't overdo it, etc. etc. etc.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Take my dog on most tours. She's half English lab and half standard poodle, very athletic and loves the snow. Touring is her favorite thing in the world. My skis buddies all love her because she's so enthusiastic, yet doesn't bark, and most importantly is safe: stays behind my skis at all times and doesn't run ahead, peer down from cornices above while you're skinning out, or do the other things that people understandably don't like. When I'm descending in deep powder, I stop every few turns so she knows I'm waiting and can take her time. She's six now, so if it's bottomless I leave her at home despite her unhappiness. It's just too much work for her and she won't stop. One other problem is thick but breakable crust, either on top or just under fresh powder. This can cut up her lower legs. I'll sure miss her when I decide it's just too much work for her.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyadolescent View Post
    One other problem is thick but breakable crust, either on top or just under fresh powder. This can cut up her lower legs.
    Yup. The dew claws can catch on the crust and get ripped upward. Then they crack and bleed. My dog doesn't care. Even if I stop moving, or we're back at the car and I'm enjoying a beer, she'll keep running around, leaving a trail of blood. Apparently the fun outweighs the discomfort. So I try not to take her when crust will be widespread. I've thought about just taping them up. Anybody ever try this?

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Yup. The dew claws can catch on the crust and get ripped upward. Then they crack and bleed. My dog doesn't care. Even if I stop moving, or we're back at the car and I'm enjoying a beer, she'll keep running around, leaving a trail of blood. Apparently the fun outweighs the discomfort. So I try not to take her when crust will be widespread. I've thought about just taping them up. Anybody ever try this?
    I think there is some kind of paste you can get to seal up their paws.. I have a 6yo black lab, and only take her skinning pre and post season. It's usually the corn snow that will cause damage to her pads..
    +1 on training them to stay away from your skis. I'm still working on this with mine, pole wacks seem to be a good deterrent so far. Also having her run ahead, or just out ski them.

^^^^ Her paws/pads are almost always ok. It's the dew claw (dog thumb) that catches on the crust when her paw breaks through. The dew claw gets pulled upward as her paw sinks, and the skin around it cracks/rips.

Musher's secret is your friend http://musherssecret.net

Haven't had any dew claw problems with our saints but I could see it happening. I don't really see any problems taping them down other than my dogs would probably chew off the tape.

If she's an inside dog make her start sleeping outside our start spending more time in the cold during the day.

If the dew claws are a constant problem, it's pretty easy to have them surgically removed.

My dog never has problems with her pads and rarely with the dew claws. The crust, if thick enough, actually cuts the skin of her lower legs when she breaks through and her legs plunge into the softer snow below. She doesn't seem to mind, but it's a bloody mess and when I get home my wife looks at me like I've just beaten poor Riley. If I think I"ll encounter that kind of crust, I leave her home.

My dog is a 9 year old collie and has been skiing with me for 8 years. Over the past year or so, I've noticed him coming up stiff and/or a little lame after a big run, so I try to keep it occasional and mellow these days.

Like everybody else has said: watch your dog and take it easier on him than he acts like he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    My dog is a 9 year old collie and has been skiing with me for 8 years. Over the past year or so, I've noticed him coming up stiff and/or a little lame after a big run, so I try to keep it occasional and mellow these days.

Like everybody else has said: watch your dog and take it easier on him than he acts like he needs.
    I've heard of others giving their pooches glucoseamine/chondroitin supplements as they get older.

It certainly seems to work for me so far.

My GF's golden gets balls of snow between his toes in powder. I don't think it seriously hurts him but it does bother him and he stops every couple of minutes to chew on his paws. Suggestions? Grooming the hair off with a scissor? Vaseline?