Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    dot dot dash dash dash dot dash dash dot dot, morse coding luffski for his advice to the boy on mountain side rage
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

snoboredz are teh dangerez and should outlawed

kid was in the wrong and broke the first 2 rules of the code...nuf said

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Thanks, it means a lot. We've actually met.
    I know, but that low hanging fruit was too easy to pass up.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

wow this really blew up and is entertaining......carry on .........
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Teal jacket
    Teal?

Ha!

More like Turquoise.

DEAL WITH IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    you think posting a video of several rules being broken is "the most despicable thing about this whole sordid affair?"
    No. I think going on teevee and complaining of a "headache" is despicable. Saying "I didn't even mean too hit" the little kid is despicable. Not taking responsibility for riding out of control and taking a little kid out is despicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    dot dot dash dash dash dot dash dash dot dot, morse coding luffski for his advice to the boy on mountain side rage
    Good point. Where the hell is Luffski these days? I miss his POV's.

I'm concerned he's paddlocked in a room in sfb's basement or something.

Ahh this thread is delivering just like I planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post

total douche factor from both parties and most of these posts ... perhaps mine too
    Maybe. It's snowing and I came to work today only to find out that the office is closed because of the snow. So I'm a little spun up perhaps, but tomorrow I'm going for an afternoon skin and starting an impromptu long weekend where I will stay off the WROD and get my turns on in what is hopefully the first of many white rooms this season.

yeah baybee!

You clearly don't understand what merging is. They were on the same trail the whole time, you can see the kid on the left in the frame, ahead of and downhill of the boarder.
    merge

/mərj/

verb

gerund or present participle: merging

combine or cause to combine to form a single entity.

"the utility companies are cutting costs and merging with other companies"

blend or cause to blend gradually into something else so as to become indistinguishable from it.

"he crouched low and endeavored to merge into the darkness of the forest"
    The trail went from a large flatter open area, to taking a left turn and getting narrower and steeper. Teal jacket kid was merging into the main fall line traffic flow of the trail, coming from the far left side.

that dad is a fucking cock.

People bump into my son all the time when he is in a stroller. People say sorry. Life goes on.

Teal jacket kid
    I've already fucking warned you.

What a fucking space cadet.
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Teal?

Ha!

More like Turquoise.

DEAL WITH IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I've already fucking warned you.
    DEAL WITH IT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	145981

Thanks for playing........

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    No. I think going on teevee and complaining of a "headache" is despicable. Saying "I didn't even mean too hit" the little kid is despicable. Not taking responsibility for riding out of control and taking a little kid out is despicable.
    i saw him going basically the same speed as everybody else. the little girl was in and out of the frame for a significant part of the video, so as far as i saw, he successfully avoided the girl going close to the same speed and was almost parallel to him when she started to cut across the run. if dad isn't stopped in the middle of the run in front of his tiny kid and doesn't allow the kid to proceed at what appears to be perpendicular to the run without looking, the snowboarder probably gets through the hole without incident.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post

well why didn't you say that the first time? who knows how he ended up on tv? are you a fucking doctor? the kid wasn't out of control and he was well-spoken and apologetic. and an adult hit him in the face and i'm sure once that happened if the kid was nervous he was fearful because that's not how you respond in a civilized manner.

tell me what you really meant this time and we can do this again. you have a very low bar for despicable.

Snowboarder was at fault. Whatever, kids make stupid mistakes.

Dad flew off the handle and made an even bigger mistake.

Not going to sift through all the comments but its clearly the snowboarder fault for the accident but the father is also to blame for not protecting his kid better.

Adding my 2 cents from a non legal standpoint here as a coach for 7/8 year old racers/been hit in numerous experiences like this. To me, this is just a series of unfortunate events.

The kid was not out of control, but he is partially at fault. The kid came in going faster than the most in the frame, but that being said, there is no set "speed limit" per-say for skiing. There are slow areas, but slow is rather subjective. Slow for one part of the mountain is different than others. One also cannot expect an entire mountain to adhere to similar speeds. Was his judgment poor? Yes. He came into a crowded area and did not survey his surroundings. Had he properly observed the crowds, the new/slower skiers, he should have slowed down. However, in 99.9% of these situations, he would not have been thrown off his line. Honestly, how many of you can stop on a dime when going over 15 mph? I have to imagine almost zero. Its almost more dangerous to do that IMO. As you could see, he immediately tried to stop and remedy his error. Unfortunately, almost simultaneously, the poor child who was hit was coming out from under his dad.

Now this is an error by the father. The father should have been aware of his surroundings, as he was standing above his child. Any father who is traversing across a trail with his kid has to know to look up the hill. That is coaching 101. When traversing across a hill, you MUST look up to make sure its clear. Does not matter what you are doing, because if you dont, you put yourself and others at risk. The father obviously did not, and his son suffered for it. Does he have the right of way as he is downhill? Yes. But rules are not excuses for common sense.

The reaction however, was 100% out of hand. The boarder immediately checked to make sure the kid who was hit was OK. I have seen numerous instances where there have been hit and runs. I was unfortunate enough to encounter one and have 4 compound fractures. However, the kid handled the situation well and checked on the kid. The father SHOULD have come down and made sure his child was ok, made sure the boarder was OK, and then go from there. If I was in the fathers shoes, I would have politely asked the kid to come over, pointed to the slow signs, slower skiers, and say please slow down in this area. Simple as that. No need for a smack to the head.

The trail went from a large flatter open area, to taking a left turn and getting narrower and steeper. Teal jacket kid was merging into the main fall line traffic flow of the trail, coming from the far left side.
    Here watch this so you know what ski areas mean by right of way and merging

It's not what you think it is.

Here is the skier's code:

After reviewing the video several times, the snowboarder is properly observing points 1 & 2 of the code. He is able to navigate a long stretch of trail with mixed ablity traffic by giving others enough room and slowing down as needed, while also avoiding the kid who skis into him from the left, which he is not overtaking. He is traveling at an appropriate speed for conditions and traffic, about the same as most traffic, around 15-20 mph. He is in a controlled braking manuver at the time of the collision.

The "father" is can be observed from 4:15 until the collision as NOT properly observing points 3 and 4 of the code, nor is his child. They are stopped in the middle of a trail, and the pair are not visable from above the rollover. Even worse, the father is blocking the view of the child. They do not turn around and look up hill before the father allows the child to move perpendicular to the fall line and into the path of the snowboarder.

I'm not a lawyer, but common sense says that this is 90%+ the fault of the father.

How would I handle this situation if I was one of these people? As the father, I would avoid taking my small child out on a high traffic trail in early season conditions, period. I see people stopped in dangerous spots at Killington, and I go as far as stopping to talk to people and ask them to move to a safer stopping location. As the snowboarder, I would be a bit more careful at rollovers and choke points, while making sure my board was well tuned and I could edge with it effectively.

If I was skiing this trail, I would probably come to a full stop off the side of the trail, at the top of the rollover and look at traffic, similar to how I would deal with the lower bittersweet rollover at Killington.
    Highway Star! Still Killing It at Killington I see; good for you. When are you coming West for a ski off?

Agreed with most points, snowboarder was riding under relative control but under the conditions with multiple young ones, you have to recognize the unpredictability and choke point and pull up short and let stuff settle out. This is a fairly complex decision making process that requires experience and decision making skills that a teenage rider on a nice sunny day early season wouldn't necessary have. Nor did kid seem like a good enough boarder to come to quick stop.

Father didn't see anything but his child being barged into, didn't see little girl cut off snowboarder, so he is understandably confused as to why this kid just slides into his child.

BUT hitting the young boarder was way out of line. Think of if boarders dad saw adult whacking his kid. That could have gotten ugly in a hurry.

Bottom line, relatively fault free accident with no injuries. Father makes an ass of himself and exposes himself to legal action, young boarder will probably think twice when he sees young children in tight spot. Skiing has inherent risks.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

So, What's the consensus here???

....looks Teal to me....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    So, What's the consensus here???

....looks Teal to me....
    Are you fucking kidding? It's turquoise.

Here watch this so you know what ski areas mean by right of way and merging

It's not what you think it is.
    No, it's exactly what I think. 2:20 in the video. Merging is merging, it doesn't matter if you are doing it from one trail into another, from a stop, from the woods, or from one part of the trail into the main traffic flow of another part of the trail.

Here's perfect example: there's a wide intermediate slope with a mogul line on the side about 20-30 feet wide. The remainder of the slope is groomed. You start to ski the bump line but don't like it, so you turn into the groomed line half way down and are struck from behind by a skier on the groomed who was not expecting your line change. Should you have followed point #4 and looked above you when exiting the moguls? Absolutely - you are looking to merge with the main traffic flow on the groomed portion of the trail. Is the hitter at fault? Possibly, but only to the extent that they were skiing out of control and in a manner in which they could not avoid someone skiing in a somewhat reasonable manner.

If you are crossing the fall line in some manner (not linking turns), which is dangerous, and you should sight behind you to avoid getting run into.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 12-05-2013 at 04:30 PM.