Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    ok, so for problem 2 I investigated and the axis for the climbing aids is broken, so the bigger part of it comes loose... really annoying. I stuffed it back in place and filled the whole where it comes out with glue and hope it stays there untill I can figure out how to get and install a replacement part.

did you try for warranty, I think g3 is preety good for that
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    did you try for warranty, I think g3 is preety good for that
    I asked for spare parts... they want the dealer to take care of it - will have to contact the guys. But it's all a bit difficult with beeing in europe / having bought in germany, living non-EU and covid... will get there. Did a quick fix with a bit of glue so it stays moreless in place for now.

little update of my struggle:
    the climbing aiders are back to functioning (put in glue to stop the axis coming out... works solid so far).

the problem of the heels snapping back to downhill persists and is getting worse and worse... shop is not really helpful as I can not go see them (covid) and they are not that deep into dyi stuff.
    Now I wantet to swap for ATKs but there is some conflicting holes going on and I wanted to ask here (before taking it to the swiss cheese): anyone ever swapped the stoppers and or / heel turrets to solve the snap to downhill?

Is there an option to buy spare parts I should know about?

Thanks again for helping, need to keep touring the big skis as this winter delivers here in the alps!

Do your ions have a metal or plastic top? If they are metal, they are the 1st year production and switching heel turrets will help with auto rotating to ski mode from walk. Also double check your heel spacing is correct.

they are metal indeed. Did they change the design of the mechanism or will replacements just be less worn out?

The heel lifters were redesigned after the 1st year due to auto rotation problems.

now that you pointed it out I found some info about this - do you even notice the up, down movement while skiing with the redesigned heels ( https://www.wildsnow.com/24589/g3-io...10-12-changes/ -> comments)

Thanks for the support! I could track down some heel turrets as replacements and exchanging them is really easy. Unfortunately all the powder is gone so the fats will have to wait to show they are all good now. But already testing just to switch into walk and ski mode at home I can feel the resistance being really strong now in contrast to how it felt before.

Has anyone had the brake springs break on their Ion 12s? It happened to one ski towards the start of the season, so I was then more careful to make sure there wasn't snow/ice in my binding when I was clicking the brakes down. But yesterday I ended up breaking the second brake spring in the exact same place!!

It must be something else I am doing wrong for it to happen to both, maybe kicking down too hard - but it really doesn't feel like I am being too tough on the bindings.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210322_200846.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	373.3 KB 
ID:	368596

Fortunately the brakes kind of still work as the other side of the spring is still somewhat functional.

I'm getting the brakes replaced soon, but want to make sure this doesn't happen again.

I'm looking at mounting a pair of these this evening. I'm trying to understand the heel piece, does it pop free of the holder on the left when the heel is rotated or do I need to adjust the heel screw before rotating?
    Just fondling the binding I'm not sure if I have trouble twisting because of the catch or because it's not mounted and I don't have enough leverage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210507_120356.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	373793

It’s hard to rotate the heel piece if it’s not mounted...and sometimes it’s hard when it’s mounted. It’s got a pretty firm detente. But it’s just a rotation movement, you shouldn’t have to loosen anything.

there is a micro lock mechanism that I didn't know about until recently. The tower moves up and down maybe 2-3mm. so give it a good tug away from the baseplate before trying to rotate. it will go with enough force but it certainly makes it easier if it isn't "locked"

Does anyone have a DIY fix to the heel risers flipping around?

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Does anyone have a DIY fix to the heel risers flipping around?
    A touch of epoxy (on both sides) kinda helps to reduce wiggling
    Name:  20220918_114023.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  112.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    A touch of epoxy (on both sides) kinda helps to reduce wiggling
    Name:  20220918_114023.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  112.1 KB
    Good one! Thanks. I thought i remembered seeing mention of a plastic piece that goes under there but good chance im mistaken and that was somewhere else on the binding they were talking about the plastic piece. Little dab of epoxy seems like a simple thing thats ez to reapply as needed

Yes, if you can disassemle axle/climbing aids on your turrets and easily access that springy plastic piece you can put some foam pad material under plastic plate to improve its "springiness", which will work better IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    Yes, if you can disassemle axle/climbing aids on your turrets and easily access that springy plastic piece you can put some foam pad material under plastic plate to improve its "springiness", which will work better IMHO.
    Ok, ill have a look at that as well. That mightve been what i had skimmed over reading along one day. Thanks again

Shop just told me they need to order G3 Ion specific mounting screws?

Does that make sense?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Shop just told me they need to order G3 Ion specific mounting screws?

Does that make sense?
    My old toes use 16.4mm flathead & heels 14mm pan heads w/9.1mm x3.3mm heads:

Name:  ION_screws.jpeg
Views: 276
Size:  83.2 KB
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

^ Yeah, those flathead screws… I can see a shop not having them handy.

I assume the Zeds have the same heel riser flopping around issue that my older Ions have? Anyone else tried inserting foam? Seems like G3 should’ve fixed this issue by now but TBH I haven’t been paying much attention so maybe the newest versions are better?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

G3 ION tech binding

What is the foam fix? One of my Ions went flaccid a few years ago and I’ve been just using the lower riser since then.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    What is the foam fix? One of my Ions went flaccid a few years ago and I’ve been just using the lower riser since then.
    I swabbed in a few coats of Plasti Dip with a Q-tip. Let dry between coats. So far it's been working well enough.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    I swabbed in a few coats of Plasti Dip with a Q-tip. Let dry between coats. So far it's been working well enough.
    Forgive my stupidity- where did you put the plasti dip specifically