Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Cool. Thanks. I got the toe & heel to hole dimensions from davieboot. With a G3 ION Jigarex plates due in the next week or so, I'll also double check the template relative to the plates. For my Maestrales RS's, I had a discrepancy between stamped BSL and horizontally measured BSL, which the Jigarex plates are relative too.
    I checked my quest and they were right on the mark.

These are pretty nice bindings by way, no problems at all skiing the wrod today. I really like the "neutral" ramp compared to similar Dynafits w/o a toe shim.

Nice. Looking forward to that neutral ramp.

Will be obsessively checking this thread before my mid-march Euro trip to see if there are any tales of v1.0 catastrophic failure.

So can all the 220+lb guys please put about 100 days on them & huck everything before then. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CarveMan View Post
    Nice. Looking forward to that neutral ramp.

Will be obsessively checking this thread before my mid-march Euro trip to see if there are any tales of v1.0 catastrophic failure.

So can all the 220+lb guys please put about 100 days on them & huck everything before then. Thanks.
    I'll do my best but only small airs.

Quote Originally Posted by indyjones View Post
    Yes as described. Four screws on the corners and two additional near the heel pins, boot side. I dunno if the latter come all the way up to the top piece though
    https://www.wildsnow.com/11763/ion-g...kcountry-tech/

6 machine screws into the aluminium top plate should be way more reliable than what amounts to 4 wood screw into the delrin plastic main body that Dynafit uses . I would bet the ION also uses a plastic main body but IMO the use of plastic is not an issue whats key is that G3 holds it all together with 50% more fasteners having machined threads
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Looking at a set of Ion's for my lighter weight Touring setup (probably on a set of Carbon Converts).
    2 quick questions - 1. w/ a 105mm waist should I go for the 115mm version or try to bend the 95mm option? 2. My Vulcan's have the Beast heel insert for my resort setup (GPO's w/ Beast 16s), will the Ion's still work w/ the Beast heel insert?
    Thanks a Ton!

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    Looking at a set of Ion's for my lighter weight Touring setup (probably on a set of Carbon Converts).
    2 quick questions - 1. w/ a 105mm waist should I go for the 115mm version or try to bend the 95mm option? 2. My Vulcan's have the Beast heel insert for my resort setup (GPO's w/ Beast 16s), will the Ion's still work w/ the Beast heel insert?
    Thanks a Ton!
    To the second question I used vulcans with Beast inserts with Ions without issue

The G3 ION Jigarex plates arrived today and I compared them to my mount and the template. There is a 2.5mm or so discrepancy due to the difference between where the boot sole heel ends relative to the heel hardware. So compared to the Jigarex plates, the template matches and the critical dimensions are from the toe pins to the heel hardware measured vertical from the ski if using the template versus the Jigarex.

I'll tweak the template by adding a note when i get a chance in the near future.

I'm still wondering about the amount I had to adjust the binding forward after mounting them. In order to mount the heel pieces, the holes under the brake need to align with the binding base, then you adjust forward. Note there are tick marks under the brake that I did not notice at first:

Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I think G3 hit it out of the park with this one. It is the only binding on the wall that the shop guy actually knew how to work. The Beast ... had trouble demoing that one, the Marker Kingpin ... well, we discovered that it does not lock the retractable brake without using hands, The Dynafit Radicals ... okaym, that was almost as easy as the G3 Ion. The Ion looks great, does what it says, and is easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    I think G3 hit it out of the park with this one. It is the only binding on the wall that the shop guy actually knew how to work. The Beast ... had trouble demoing that one, the Marker Kingpin ... well, we discovered that it does not lock the retractable brake without using hands, The Dynafit Radicals ... okaym, that was almost as easy as the G3 Ion. The Ion looks great, does what it says, and is easy to use.
    It just comes down to reliability/durability now. The ions have so many cool features that address all the issues I have with my verticals.

I bought a pair today from MEC. Hopefully I won't be using their return policy...

G3 is sold out of IONs, should be lots of good feedback this season

Any opinions on locking the toe while skiing vs leaving them in 'ski' mode as recommended by G3?

After skiing a few runs on a very firm WROD the IONs felt solid. On another day, at the tail end of a tour in 12" of fresh after confidently and aggressively skiing the second lap, I went to make a basic 180° step turn and the ski flung off. I'm not sure if I simply didn't get the toe engaged properly at the top of the run due to the powder or the added force of flipping the ski laterally may be an issue.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

I never skied Dynafits with the toes locked and never had an issue, don't think I will with the IONs. I'd chalk it up as a fluke, ice in the toe fittings?

after confidently and aggressively skiing.
    That shit's pretty much just a given around here.

Any opinions on locking the toe while skiing
    It can be a good idea... until it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    That shit's pretty much just a given around here.
    Based on good info and experience or ignorance and testosterone?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    It can be a good idea... until it isn't.
    ....or the reverse.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

With Ion's on skis and the ski season already underway - anyone spent much time inbounds w/ the Ions so far? Thoughts and feedback?? The only other Tech bindings I've skied inbounds were Radical FTs a few yrs back and I never jived w/ the ramp angle and they felt like they transmitted every vibration etc...

FYI, They will mostly be used on groomers with the kids and on crud/pow days. My back and knees no longer tolerate the bumps so I try to avoid those if at all possible.

I was thinking of swapping my heavyish resort/sidecountry setup (181 Nomad RKRs w/ TourF12s) over to the Ions to knock a chunk of weight off and be a bit more hike friendly. My everyday boots are Dynafit Vulcans

I honestly thought the IONs were transparent on hardpack groomers. I put them on some Lhasa Pows that previously had STH14s on them and they felt about the same. Nice neutral ramp, about the same as STH14 it seemed, probably measures a cunt hair more.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I honestly thought the IONs were transparent on hardpack groomers. I put them on some Lhasa Pows that previously had STH14s on them and they felt about the same. Nice neutral ramp, about the same as STH14 it seemed, probably measures a cunt hair more.
    Unless they have really thick cunt hairs in Wenatchee, that sounds pretty promising.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Unless they have really thick cunt hairs in Wenatchee, that sounds pretty promising.
    There are some pretty shaggy hippie chicks in Leavenworth.

G3 ION tech binding

I've got a few days of touring on ions now. My history is seven seasons on the verticals with fritchi free rides before that. I usually run my gear into the ground and only buy new when there is a real step change in technology etc. the ions appeared to have a lot of improvements over verticals.

Anyway, here are my ion thoughts so far.

The toe springs clamp down like a Venus fly trap. Noticeably more positive than my verticals. I don't feel the need, at all, to lock the toes out when skiing (or when touring!).

When I do remember to lock out the toes, it's a little more difficult to do with a my bd pole grip. A minor annoyance.

The snow clearing channel is legit. It's a safety feature I really appreciate.

The brakes are fully functional and impressive. As good as alpine brakes. Another a big positive for me.
    On my first transition I did send the plastic plate on top on the brakes flying. That was user error though and the spring has been replaced.

When transitioning from skin to ski mode, it is possible to rotate the heel with a pole. It's a little tricky and takes some time to master. The verticals were much easier.

I have more confidence in these when skiing over the verticals. The few inbounds runs I've done, they feel much more like alpine bindings.

So far I'm really digging these. Time will tell if they can prove to be reliable.

I'm still wondering about the amount I had to adjust the binding forward after mounting them.
    I borrowed the shop's jigarex, and damn I had to adjust the heelpiece fwd for hours before I closed the gap with the boot. The good news is that if a seven foot tall Russian basketball player borrows my skis, they'll adjust for his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I borrowed the shop's jigarex, and damn I had to adjust the heelpiece fwd for hours before I closed the gap with the boot. The good news is that if a seven foot tall Russian basketball player borrows my skis, they'll adjust for his feet.
    Jigarex and IONs here. After mounting I had about 7mm to adjust the heel forward. I noticed that even after the heel piece makes contact with the boot, the adjustment screw keeps turning.
    Life is not lift served.

The G3 ION Jigarex plates arrived today and I compared them to my mount and the template. There is a 2.5mm or so discrepancy due to the difference between where the boot sole heel ends relative to the heel hardware. So compared to the Jigarex plates, the template matches and the critical dimensions are from the toe pins to the heel hardware measured vertical from the ski if using the template versus the Jigarex.

I'll tweak the template by adding a note when i get a chance in the near future.

I'm still wondering about the amount I had to adjust the binding forward after mounting them. In order to mount the heel pieces, the holes under the brake need to align with the binding base, then you adjust forward. Note there are tick marks under the brake that I did not notice at first:
    Hi Terry,

I just posted my mounting experiences over on Lou Dawson's Wildsnow blog. Since I'm a new forum member (long time lurker), I can't post URL's yet, but search on "G3 ION Binding Template and Screw Layout" and the post will pop up for you.

I found what you did.

With meticulous placement of a paper template, I had to move the heel forward after mounting. I'm going from memory. While I reported about 1.5mm on the above blog, I now recall that after measuring the plum distance from the top edge of the boot heel, I then moved my mark forward by about 1mm. So, that plus my 1.5mm adjustment after mounting gets you the 2.5mm.

None of this truly matters unless you're trying to get cute and accommodate two wildly different boot lengths, like (for example) a Dynafit TLT 5/6 and a Scarpa Maestrale. The mm's really count then as I explain the math in the blog comments on Wildsnow.

The contact point of the heel unit and the boot seems to be near the top of the boot fitting. A very slight bump on the metal fitting of the binding is the point of contact.

Cheers,
    Thom

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    I noticed that even after the heel piece makes contact with the boot, the adjustment screw keeps turning.
    Yes, that's because the forward pressure is maintained by a spring, and you're just maintaining contact as you "over" tighten. The spring is the reason you don't have to set a "tech spacing" of ~6mm (which in a normal tech binding accommodates reverse camber situations).

Start with space between the binding and the boot (heel too far from toe) and stop tightening (shortening) when the heel piece makes contact with the boot and you should be fine. At least that's what G3 states ;-)

Cheers,
    Thom

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Start with space between the binding and the boot (heel too far from toe) and stop tightening (shortening) when the heel piece makes contact with the boot and you should be fine. At least that's what G3 states ;-)
    Hi Thom, thats what I did, though first time I expected the screw to stop, since it doesn't, it is easy to overtighten. As per the ION mounting instructions I backed it off a touch after making contact, then screwed it in that last hair to make contacts

And agree with others: Venus Fly Traps! Not sure that holds me in that much better (slamming a door shut doesnt keep it closed any more firmly), but psychologically it feels good. And it must indicate some dynamic power in those springs that my Radicals did not have?
    Life is not lift served.

It took me a bit to figure out as well.

My journey of discovery began while playing with the length adjustment prior to mounting. While trying to find the min/max limits of the length adjustment, I didn't see anything moving while spinning the screw. Of course, I was watching the wrong part ... must have been a bad day

One other thing folks need to be careful with (if looking to mount for two widely different boot lengths), is that determining the limits on the "short" side isn't obvious. When I adjusted the heel to what I thought was the shortest setting, I couldn't figure out why the brake stayed retracted.

It ends up that by going too far (short), you end up engaging the touring latch for the brake. IOW, there's no stop on the binding before reaching that point.

I basically backed off incrementally until the brake released, and then backed off another mm or so for good measure ... calling that point the minimum length. The reason I backed off that extra bit was the small hook was still touching (but not engaging) the brake. I figured there would be less wear on the part that way.

There are definitely a few new tricks for this old dog, but I'm extremely impressed with the design. I'm going to try them out on Tuesday for the first time.

Cheers,
    Thom