Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Too many 2013/2014 "my ski area happenings" threads?

I know it has been a few seasons since I've posted in these parts, but it seems now the "Ski/Snowboard" forum is just full of local area threads. The amount of TRs, at least it appears to me, have gone down significantly because people are just posting stoke in the local area threads.

We've gone from JONG beatdowns on the main page to geographic maggot clicks are are relegated to their own threads.

So, if you got a some good pics, or a good TR, don't be afraid to start a separate post!

Here are the 13/40 on the front page now:

2013/2014 Canadian Rockies Thread
    And so it begins...Teton Area, 13/14 happenings.
    2013/2014 Whistler Blackcomb - South Coast - Duffey Lake Thread
    2013/14 - Mt. Bachelor/ Mt. Hood
    2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread
    13/14 Tahoe Thread -- Raddest Thread On The Internets!!!
    Lucky #7 EC Roll Call 2013-14!
    Eastsider's (Wasatch) Report - 2013-14
    2013 Midwest Chatter Thread
    2013/14 Inland PNW thread
    2013/14 Vancouver Island. Anyone out there?
    Loveland tomorrow?
    Berthoud Pass 2013-2014 Observations, Conditions and Stoke

Second Page:

2013/14 Crested Butte Stoke/ Conditions/ Info
    Ski AK: The Official 2013/20014 Thread
    13/14 Summit - Eagle - Clear Creek - Grand County CO Stoke & Conditions
    Roaring Fork Valley/Aspen Happenings 13-14
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

that's evolution, can't fight it. if it didn't work, it'd die off.

now shut your pie hole, you fucking fruit booting JONG-ass Texan ball muncher
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

I have the solution:

For each existing local thread, we form a "Is this necessary?" exploratory thread, where we can debate the value of the existing threads. Then, if people are still using the local thread, we make a third thread, to determine if the "Is this necessary?" thread is the best way to handle the situation. Eventually, we'll reach critical thread density and the forums will implode. The weak threads will be consumed by fire, and we can build a new stoke-posting utopia amongst the ashes.

you didn't even pay heed to the padded seats on chair 2 thread
    bF

Hugh Conway Guest
    No one posts TRs anymore, so that's where you'll find stoke. Occasionally. Betwixt incessant babbling.

Local threads have filled the void that the chat room took up.

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Are Cargo Shorts the 'death of American fashion?'
    You decide.
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Are Cargo Shorts the 'death of American fashion?'
    You decide.
    Only if you're wearing polypro underneath.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

It has been years since I did anything cool enough for its own thread (pre-daughter) and since maggotdom became so huge everyone turned inward anyway because who wants to be bro-brah with the whole world? I like the regional threads and I'm comfortable posting lame ass boring stoke in the midwest thread because nobody browsing this forum from outside of the midwest is going to bogged down by it. JMO.

You know I didn't even think about the old tr posts and how it's all locational now. If I get a good enough one I will post a tr outside of the sw thread but we shall see since this is Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    Here are the 13/40 on the front page now:

2013/2014 Canadian Rockies Thread
    And so it begins...Teton Area, 13/14 happenings.
    2013/2014 Whistler Blackcomb - South Coast - Duffey Lake Thread
    2013/14 - Mt. Bachelor/ Mt. Hood
    2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread
    13/14 Tahoe Thread -- Raddest Thread On The Internets!!!
    Lucky #7 EC Roll Call 2013-14!
    Eastsider's (Wasatch) Report - 2013-14
    2013 Midwest Chatter Thread
    2013/14 Inland PNW thread
    2013/14 Vancouver Island. Anyone out there?
    Loveland tomorrow?
    Berthoud Pass 2013-2014 Observations, Conditions and Stoke

Second Page:

2013/14 Crested Butte Stoke/ Conditions/ Info
    Ski AK: The Official 2013/20014 Thread
    13/14 Summit - Eagle - Clear Creek - Grand County CO Stoke & Conditions
    Roaring Fork Valley/Aspen Happenings 13-14
    i think you missed about 3 or 4 wasatch threads
    shoot and they haven't even begun to start wasatch threads to cover the areas of that small range outside of the "pigpen"

i like the area specific conditions threads. it provides an easy searchable history of ski conditions for an area and makes planning trips easier. individual threads still happen on occasion and seem to more awesomer than before but less frequent

well fark I'm trying to keep it alive,

I'd like to start a trend of the 3 pic TR.

surely everyone who tours could find 3 pic's worth posting.

this place seems to breed more hate than stoke
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

If they don't contain "Wasatch' in the header, I never notice.

Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    I'd like to start a trend of the 3 pic TR.

surely everyone who tours could find 3 pic's worth posting.

this place seems to breed more hate than stoke
    Agree and think the local threads do a good job of this. The RatBaggers thread is a great example of local stoke and three photo TRs. Posting each (mis)adventure from you guys, while always entertaining, might over clutter the board if done as separate threads

Ignoring H8trs maxes the stoke ratio.
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

If I actually think a trip/tour is worthy of s full TR, then I'll post it separately. Regional babble is good to figure out what's going on in your area, snow conditions, etc. But a *good* trip will still get it's own TR.

Now I just need to go do something I think is worthy of its own TR...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I totally agree.... the Ski/Snowboard forum is pretty much worthless because of it.

And go figure, with all the idiots in Colorado, we actually post about the weather and conditions in the... wait for it... weather and conditions forum. The regional forums should get their own section.

I think a lot of it is that the bar has been set so high over the last decade that unless it is an epic trip or day that people don't want to get ridiculed if it is not epic. It seems the demographic on TGR has changed to a higher percentage of trolls and haters and less doers. If you post a few pics in your local area thread then it will be seen by people that you actually ski with and know and it doesn't need to be world class hence ridicule in its own thread. My 2 cents

PS I love having local threads as I have gotten fantastic beta on current conditions and also beta on new places that I travel to.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Regional threads are great. They keep the coloRADo peeps from posting a TR in the main forum every time it snows a bit.

I follow a bunch of the regional threads and get plenty of TR stoke. Posted some pix in our Cnd Rockies thread of skiing three feet of new. Really not of interest to someone in say CA or down East, so no reason for me to post a whole thread on it.
    "Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." Elena

For me it's just become easier to go skiing than stop constantly for photos and then all the work editing and writing TRs. It was really fun for a long time and then it turned into a whole lot of work. I also feel like the younger/newer people to the forum have more infatuation with the novelty of it all and the energy to go with it. Let them have their time in the spotlight, it's all good.

After all these years, this forum still feels like home, like a place where people understand me in a way that my own family couldn't. Understands me as a skier. As someone that wants to spend hours and hours climbing up the side of a cold mountain just to slide right back down. Either you get it or you don't.

Just get your a$$ out there and ski like you mean it. Post wherever, whatever inspires you. Because you all inspire me.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Question

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    And go figure, with all the idiots in Colorado, we actually post about the weather and conditions in the... wait for it... weather and conditions forum.
    What is this place of which you speak?
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

'Just get your a$$ out there and ski like you mean it.'

A succinct message!
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    The regional forums should get their own section.
    That's actually a solid idea.

Doesn't anyone use the new posts button? I never even look what forums topics are in and it skips right over poly bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by SkreeDaProw View Post
    That's actually a solid idea.
    Nope, it's not but he'll keep fucking that chicken along with a few others and new peeps will think it's a great idea. The "stoke" is posted in the regional threads but people are too lazy or pretend to be too busy while accumulating thousands of posts. The CO weather thread is a butt hurt Alabama fan telling us what it's doing outside his condo. I'll bump one of the missed ones since we've got two.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Doesn't anyone use the new posts button? I never even look what forums topics are in and it skips right over poly bullshit.
    Apparently not.
    Last edited by concretejungle; 12-05-2013 at 06:06 PM.