Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Was it dry too? More frequent snowfall can make a big difference, as fresh snowfall keeps the top of the snowpack warmer, and thus reduces the gradient. The amount of fresh snowfall (not just frequency) can also make a noticable difference. Heck, even cloud coverage can make a difference (a clear sky is a huge heat sink). Also, you say it was plenty shallow, but certainly not as shallow?
    Cloud cover I think has helped in the Bridgers, but I just wasn't thinking there has been a big difference between the two zones. Definitely dry in November in both areas. Cloud cover likely helped in the Bridgers for sure.

I suppose I'm not surprised and it's nothing new to have these changes close by. Just bringing my observations for conversation's sake. Yes the Ruby/Irwin zone sometimes has a different snowpack than CB, but they still get the same cold clear nights, persistent problems, and winds as a continental climate. Vail is actually an interesting one also. According to some renowned snow geeks - they have had 13 out of the past 25 winters classified as an intermountain climate. The other 12 continental. The rest of the state is overwhelmingly continental with the exception of Wolf Creek and Purgatory. Thought that was interesting.

I would have figured that the cold snap we had would have done damage to the snowpack in the Bridgers, but it really didn't do anything terrible. Just an interesting contrast between the ranges in a weather pattern that was generally the same for both areas. A bit more snow on the ground seems to do a lot of good. I would have figured that the snowpack in the bridgers would not have been deep enough to hold off a significant temp gradient, but maybe it was?
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    In complex mountain ranges, like out here in CO, orographics can create huge differences in frequency and amount of snowfall in very small geographic areas. Not sure what orographics and ranges are like in MT though.

Depends. The Bridger Range is classic positive Orographic terrain. Bulk of the range extends N/S and prevailing favorable weather usually comes from the west/NW.

The Madison Range and the Big Sky area are more a set of very large peaks separated by broad valleys.

Also there are quite a few ranges that wring moisture out before it reaches the Madison's, less so for the Bridger's.

I think another difference is elevation, Down near Big Sky the summit elevations are 10K+ while summit elevations in the Bridger's are a good bit lower.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I get what youre saying but i dont agree that the cold didnt hurt. We now have widespread, unstable facets below the recent storm slabs, and there have been numerous R2 sized slides recently if you look on the gnfac site
    long live the jahrator

From the Avalanche Guys at GNFAC:

Yeah, definitely seeing more activity lower in the pack the past few days.
    Drive slow, homie.

had an ECTP22 near Texas today. Skinned in from Brackett and got close to the ridge. Heard what sounded like whumpfs/settling.. but unsure. Confidence in snowpack = low
    long live the jahrator

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I only wait 71 hours.
    dude. new sig.
    long live the jahrator