Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    DAY 136 : SATURDAY 12 APRIL 2014

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The upside of the Kiroro Snow World gondola being closed during the week is the snow that fell this week covered up and smoothed out the spring crunch.

Expecting a day on the groomed runs, Ian and I were pleasantly surprised with the 5-15 cm of untracked powder in 'Hangman'.

A great way to finish the season at Kiroro.

Ian

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    DAY 137 : SUNDAY 13 APRIL 2014

For my final day on snow this Hokkaido winter I drove 90 min south west to the coastal fishing village of Shimamaki, the gateway to the Kariba Mountainous District.

In the winter months the road beyond Chihasegawa Hot Spring onsen is closed, so it was a 9km (2hr) skin on a very gradual gradient to the car park area for the Garo-no-Taki waterfall and the base of Higashikaribayama (1319 m).

A further 2 hr skin took me to the summit of Higashikaribayama and fantastic views of Mt Kariba (1520 m), the Sea of Japan, and the Niseko Range from Iwanai to Mt Yotei.

Mt Kariba

The Sea of Japan and the Shakotan Peninsula

Mt Obira (I think)

There was a crew of snowmobilers out who rode to the top of Higashikaribayama and if you had access to a snowmobile the travel time from Chihasegawa Hot Spring onsen to the summit would be about 30 mins.

The skiing was great.

A light covering of dry powder up high and corn down low.

Higashikaribayama

Mt Fumonnai

The Kariba Mountainous District

The Hokkaido Backcountry Club are hoping to offer cat & heliskiing in this area in the future and it certainly has the above treeline terrain suitable for all ability levels.

Who knows, it could become the 'Haines of Hokkaido'

Seasons in the Sun

DAY 138 : MONDAY 14 APRIL 2014

I took the day off snow cleaning MQ and sorting out what I'm taking back home to Wales.

DAY 139 : TUESDAY 15 APRIL 2014

Homeward bound after another fantastic winter in the Shiribeshi area of Hokkaido.

The total snowfall I recorded at MQ in Higashiyama, Niseko Resort Area (~ 300 m) this season was

13.58 m (535")

The mean for the 8 winters I've been measuring is 14.27 m (562").

So slightly below "average"

Late November into mid-December we had three rain events which wiped out the snowpack down low. Took a while for all the sasa (bamboo grass) to be covered up.

Biggest change this winter was the increase in wind events resulting in lift closures and sometimes whole resort closures.

Despite the above, the powder was excellent.

I skied 100 days, of which 63 were knee deep or deeper powder days.

Not many areas in the world have that consistency.

The 2013/14 List :

Ski Areas

Asarigawa Onsen (2), Kiroro Snow World (38), Niseko Moiwa (10), Niseko United (30), Rusutsu (9), Otaru Tenguyama (1), Sapporo Kokusai (3), Sapporo Teine (1)

Heliskiing

Shiribetsudake with the Hokkaido Backcountry Club (1)

Ski Touring

Kariba Mountainous District (1), Mt Eniwa (3), Tengudake (1)

Many thanks to all those I skied with for their patience when I was taking pics and video.

And it might not be over for this winter.

I'm hoping for a late season ski in the Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales.

Last season I skied on 15 May

SR : Wales 2013 / 14
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-Wales-2013-14