Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    people like me would be in the other kayak

Well played.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    people like me would be in the other kayak
    Exactly. Unless your a woman or a complete retard these things have gotta be a nightmare. I picture a floating bingo hall/walmart.
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I went on a cruise aboard the USS Nassau. We started in Camp Lejeune NC...went to Rota, Spain. Then Lisbon followed by Barcelona and Toulon, France...then floated around the former Yugoslavia watching mortar fire...and on to Haifa, Israel. Then reversed it to go home.

I'd have to say that a cruise pretty much sucks...and I haven't been on a boat since then.
    Yep I did a couple meds and feel the exact same way. The difference here is you don't sit around and get fat and you also get to see a funner, drunker version of foreign ports.

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    Exactly. Unless your a woman or a complete retard these things have gotta be a nightmare. I picture a floating bingo hall/walmart.
    Exactly!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by mobygrape View Post
    how many cruises have an outbreak of sickness? Seems like you hear about it more than in the past, but you hear about more of EVERYTHING lately, even things that happen rarely.

but it's something to research/consider if you're bringing a babe.
    As you'd expect, they're super paranoid about outbreaks and do a good job of isolating anything suspicious.

I was doing the Dr Bricker thing on the ship with the first H1N1 outbreak. the amount of Tamiflu they got their hands on in 24 hours was astounding.

I'd be more worried about getting trampled at feeding time

Quote Originally Posted by spicy cha cha View Post
    As you'd expect, they're super paranoid about outbreaks and do a good job of isolating anything suspicious.

I was doing the Dr Bricker thing on the ship with the first H1N1 outbreak. the amount of Tamiflu they got their hands on in 24 hours was astounding.

I'd be more worried about getting trampled at feeding time
    They basically drown you and shower you in hand sanitizer by the bucket full. There is probably a higher risk from eating local foods when in port of a third and second world country.
    Last edited by Labcabin; 11-29-2013 at 11:00 PM.

ya, but still....lots of vomit on those things
    get paid

It was pretty funny watching herds of drunk people trying to get down the halls to their rooms in high seas!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
    Does the cruise roam around raping local young women and spreading syphilis all over like a plauge? Dude was hell of an artist but a fucking lunatic can't believe there is a cruise company named after him.
    Heh. Still, think if anyone is, he's the poster for TGR. Moon and Sixpence.

Cruises are big boats without much to do except stare at distant scenery, eat, drink, talk to people, fuck and interact with your e-device. AK, Patagonia, Caribbean, same shit, barely different setting. My sister loves cruises.

Yeah, well.....

I pretty much thought the same thing. I considered myself the anti-cruise king. What with the climbing, mountain biking, backpacking, etc. lifestyle, I was pretty much dragged on to my first cruise. And had a great time.

Since then I've been on a bunch. I've gravitated towards the Transatlantic crossings, Lauderdale to Barcelona or reverse. Crossings are made in fall and late spring, and unlike Titanic, take a southerly / warm route. The boat makes a bunch of stops in Spain.

I enjoy Royal Caribbean's Freedom Class of ships. There are usually 30 or so surfers who ride the Flowrider all day every day on the Transatlantic crossings. Generally you end up hanging with this crowd, the other 3000 fat / old / sedentary are really not part of the day. Every evening is spent partying like a rock star with said group.

The Freedom class also has one of the best gyms anywhere, complete with a boxing ring. Also a great climbing wall and great pools. There are soccer tournaments that are fierce (Brits), and adult dodgeball and climbing competitions.

On my last crossing a bunch of the surfers took a cab to the monster waves outside of Lisbon.

If you have the time it's a great way to get to Europe. No jet lag after all. A suite or balcony is a great way to do it, but you can evidently get a ton of sleep if you get an inside cabin. They're the cheapest, and it's pitch-black when the lights go out.

Cozumel, Roatan, and Grand Cayman? Diving heaven! DO NOT go on organized ship off-boat activities. Do your own thing. If you pre-arrange it dive shops will meet you at the dock. Rent a car, walk, but whatever you do don't get on a bus with your fellow cruisers unless necessary to get out of the port and into town. It will suck the life out of you!

Seriously, I've always done my own thing off of the ship and have had great adventures diving, hiking, urban hiking, etc. It's what you make of it. Look at it as a hotel that moves. You only need to unpack once .
    Last edited by itsnowjoke; 11-30-2013 at 08:37 PM.

sounds like you know how to party on these kind of gigs.

surfing in a toilet bowl and drinks on hand sounds like a fine way to spend the time between ports

I have a client who does epidemiology for the cruise industry...his advice: "Never get into a hot tub, or us the ice bucket."

Never have, nor likely to get on a massive cruise ship, but have been on three small boat cruises, 12-50 people and had a great time. You go to places the big ships can't get to, are much more laid back, and you get to know the few people well enough to have a good time.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
    Yeah, well.....

I pretty much thought the same thing. I considered myself the anti-cruise king. What with the climbing, mountain biking, backpacking, etc. lifestyle, I was pretty much dragged on to my first cruise. And had a great time.

Since then I've been on a bunch. I've gravitated towards the Transatlantic crossings, Lauderdale to Barcelona or reverse. Crossings are made in fall and late spring, and unlike Titanic, take a southerly / warm route. The boat makes a bunch of stops in Spain.

I enjoy Royal Caribbean's Freedom Class of ships. There are usually 30 or so surfers who ride the Flowrider all day every day on the Transatlantic crossings. Generally you end up hanging with this crowd, the other 3000 fat / old / sedentary are really not part of the day. Every evening is spent partying like a rock star with said group.

The Freedom class also has one of the best gyms anywhere, complete with a boxing ring. Also a great climbing wall and great pools. There are soccer tournaments that are fierce (Brits), and adult dodgeball and climbing competitions.

On my last crossing a bunch of the surfers took a cab to the monster waves outside of Lisbon.

If you have the time it's a great way to get to Europe. No jet lag after all. A suite or balcony is a great way to do it, but you can evidently get a ton of sleep if you get an inside cabin. They're the cheapest, and it's pitch-black when the lights go out.

Cozumel, Roatan, and Grand Cayman? Diving heaven! DO NOT go on organized ship off-boat activities. Do your own thing. If you pre-arrange it dive shops will meet you at the dock. Rent a car, walk, but whatever you do don't get on a bus with your fellow cruisers unless necessary to get out of the port and into town. It will suck the life out of you!

Seriously, I've always done my own thing off of the ship and have had great adventures diving, hiking, urban hiking, etc. It's what you make of it. Look at it as a hotel that moves. You only need to unpack once .
    So, you sit on a big boat and get drunk and "surf" something shitty with the 30 cool kids, without any ports across the atlantic, really changed the opinion there. been on big boats, it's boring, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    So, you sit on a big boat and get drunk and "surf" something shitty with the 30 cool kids, without any ports across the atlantic, really changed the opinion there. been on big boats, it's boring, to me.

I'd cruise with Hugh Conway.

Could you imagine the fun!
    get paid

Ditto on the Foster Wallace essay. I read it after coming back from a family cruise celebrating my mom's birthday. I found exercising the bloody mary option at breakfast made the rest of the day go by easier. The downside was the ridiculous bar tab I ran. Do it to preserve family harmony, to make the otehr person feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    So, you sit on a big boat and get drunk and "surf" something shitty with the 30 cool kids, without any ports across the atlantic, really changed the opinion there.
    Exactly what I thought when reading that post too.... if you're just going to get drunk and surf, why not go somewhere with good scenery and real waves minus all the fat obnoxious people?

Make sure your boat is not out of Miami and packed with newly minted latins, with spoilt kids and nanny's squawking radios between themselves, or you will kill yourself.

I’m impressed that folks still get on cruise ships.

What a perfect sample size to study covid transmission and asymptomatic carriers.
    . . .

Never been. And recent developments are a good reminder why not. I had already made the decision at the time the Norwalk virus hit the news. Thousands of people in tight quarters sharing germs. Plus the environmental impact, coupled with unhealthy patterns of tourism. No thanks. I'd rather be in the mountains or on a beach. And now this.

Quote Originally Posted by spicy cha cha View Post
    That post aged well.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I’m impressed that folks still get on cruise ships.

What a perfect sample size to study covid transmission and asymptomatic carriers.
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/...reliable-data/

I predict lots of mothballed cruise ships even after there's a vaccine for COVID-19. This probably won't kill the industry, but it's going to contract it bigtime.

Dock the ships and use them as homeless shelters.

Are you trying to kill the homeless?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Dock the ships and use them as homeless shelters.
    This will never happen because it makes too much sense. Just like how homeless in LV have been herded into parking lots despite the fact there are tens of thousands of hotel rooms sitting vacant.