Page 61 of 148 FirstFirst ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 3689
    Silver closed for the day

was just looking at the website, you'd think they'd mention that?
    embrace the gape
    and believe

The updated article has two deaths.

So sad. My heart goes out to the INW ski community.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Silver closed for the day
    As I expected. Good move on their part. Patrol is mentally and physically exhausted. A day well deserved to decompress and process. My heart goes out to them and everyone involved.

lots of booms coming across the valley from swizz; they were lucky no one got caught in the lakeside slide inbounds last year that covered colburn lake.

A real wakeup call for powder hounds, those nasty raincrust layers aren't goin away any time soon
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Deciding to be closed at 7:45 after saying they'd be open on the news and thier website wasn't the right call, wish they'd just gone with being closed. At least I didn't have the long drive some did this morning.

2013/14 Inland PNW thread

Quote Originally Posted by teledance View Post
    Deciding to be closed at 7:45 after saying they'd be open on the news and thier website wasn't the right call, wish they'd just gone with being closed. At least I didn't have the long drive some did this morning.
    Understand the frustration but give them a break! Pretty shitty situation and the staff/patrol need some time to decompress and reset to make sure things are safe for the public.

Edit** looks like there is another missing person who was skiing at silver yesterday that they are searching for today.

Totally the right call

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by SkiLyft; 01-08-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Understand the frustration but give them a break! Pretty shitty situation and the staff/patrol need some time to decompress and reset to make sure things are safe for the public.

Edit** looks like there is another missing person who was skiing at silver yesterday that they are searching for today.

Totally the right call[/url]
    +1

I come from a SAR background and have been on many searches/recoveries. Even for pros, decision-making is greatly affected in these situations, and fatigue means you’re bound to make mistakes, so it’s good to see the resort put health/safety over profit. It would be really easy for them to try to justify opening to make some funds, but stepping back and reassessing is the right decision, one that many corporate managers wouldn’t make.

Lookout is another 20 mins up the road and cheap, so it’s not like the people that drove up have no other options. . Let these folks breathe for a bit.

Ughh, an additional person missing? Where are you seeing that SkiLyft?

Edit: Nevermind info can be found on Silver's FB page. Sounds like a missing skier was reported this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    +1

I come from a SAR background and have been on many searches/recoveries. Even for pros, decision-making is greatly affected in these situations, and fatigue means you’re bound to make mistakes, so it’s good to see the resort put health/safety over profit. It would be really easy for them to try to justify opening to make some funds, but stepping back and reassessing is the right decision, one that many corporate managers wouldn’t make.

Lookout is another 20 mins up the road and cheap, so it’s not like the people that drove up have no other options. . Let these folks breathe for a bit.
    Exactly. Silver absolutely made the right call to close the hill today.
    Another missing person, ugh.

oh fuck

Terrible news.

If true, this would be the 6th person to pass away in the BC in the past week.

- 2 snowmobile riders in the recent MT avalanche
    - 1 rider that fell into a tree well in UT
    - and the 3 rider at Silver Mtn

This is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post

This is insane.
    4 of the 6 were in bounds..... which I find more insane. Just a total nightmare.

This is insane.
    Yeah we’re coming into our own tree well time now, finally getting enough snow.

Totally agree it was a good decision, but 2.5 hours of news they would be open a update to the website at 7:39 it's 6" not 5" and come on up, then to decide at 7:45 to close, well 4 of us were there in memorial to our friend who passed yesterday.
    P.S. Lookout is boring as hell, said by one buddy who is on Vaca from Cle Elum and was also there in memorial. Vibes to the families of the departed.

Fuck, so sad to hear this. Thoughts going out to the families of the snow sliding victims...

On the runs report nothing was going to be open on Ch 4 today, not one run.

I have read that at 730 this morning they received a report that a person skiing yesterday had not come home last night. I don't think they posted the closing the minute the found out... This is absolutely terrible! I know they work hard to keep that area safe for everyone. I know they routinely bomb that area and there were reports they had done it that morning. This is a crazy event and is soooooo sad. I can't tell you how many times I have skied that exact same spot

So so so Sad

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1080Rider View Post
    I have read that at 730 this morning they received a report that a person skiing yesterday had not come home last night. I don't think they posted the closing the minute the found out... This is absolutely terrible! I know they work hard to keep that area safe for everyone. I know they routinely bomb that area and there were reports they had done it that morning. This is a crazy event and is soooooo sad. I can't tell you how many times I have skied that exact same spot
    Female skier. Have yet to locate her.

It really fucking sucks and is txtremely sad that multiple people have died last week. Particularly those that died (2?) inbounds, that definitely leads folks to question the idea that skiing is mostly safe. Especially for a lot of folks that don't frequently downhill ski like we do.

This is insane.
    5 people dying from one storm in a low populated area is really the most insane part of this. Probably unprecedented in modern recreational age, unless from a multiple burial scenario.

So sorry for your loss tele.

Sharing a photo that I was sent of the situation on the ground today. Such a tremendous site of dedicated volunteers. Hoping for closure for the loved ones family. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1332.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	309776

Tremendous group of volunteers. Closure is hoped for.