Page 1 of 148 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2013/14 Inland PNW thread

Stayed mellow but it felt damn good to stretch the legs. Thompson Pass has the goods...if they only plowed the road!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6242.jpg 
Views:	25945 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	145436

Name:	IMG_6269.jpg 
Views:	20081 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	145437

Name:	IMG_6243.jpg 
Views:	19169 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	145438

Name:	IMG_6280_1.jpg 
Views:	19122 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	145439

Name:	IMG_6227.jpg 
Views:	14863 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	145440
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6241.jpg 
Views:	665 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	145435  

Sweet! Can't decide if I want to ski or ride bikes tomorrow, any idea when they close NF-9? Looks like nice skiing up there.

I see BRUTAH got a new hat.

But still has the same stache.

You guys should road trip out here in a few weeks.

Can I contribute my NW montana pics here?

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    I see BRUTAH got a new hat.

But still has the same stache.

You guys should road trip out here in a few weeks.
    Kevin, some things are just constant and BRUTAH's stache should be constantly rad.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Can I contribute my NW montana pics here?
    We need see some NW Montana stoke in here! All the more persuasion to get the road trip out your way going.

When were you up at T pass?

I was there this past Monday and it looked nothing like your photos (obviously).. but I did find good skiing above Revett Lake.

Road closes around thanksgiving weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by spknmike View Post
    When were you up at T pass?

I was there this past Monday and it looked nothing like your photos (obviously).. but I did find good skiing above Revett Lake.

Road closes around thanksgiving weekend.
    11/17

Yep. We need it to start snowing again.

Happy thanksgiving

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1385697070.770364.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	145506

It's snowin' boys!

Just bought some skis, gonna drill em tomorrow, doa little lift served at Schwitzer Sunday. Supposed to dump Sunday morning

Schweitzer was great, yesterday. We skied Saturday and it was okay for being my first day on snow. However, it got a little boring. Then the snow started to fall.... 11" new between Saturday night and Sunday. Headwall, Near Stiles and the traverse over to Snagline were excellent. We skied the triple for a few runs to start with then migrated over.

Saw this note from Tom Eddy on Facebook so be careful if you're going up this week:

For anyone thinking about hiking Schweitzer on Monday, please be aware that we received 11" of snow that started out light and ended with some warming sitting on 1 meter + of some weak, unconsolidated snow. This means heavy slab over deep weak layer = potential for large avalanches. Please do not ski in areas not previously open this season. Please make sure you have the right equipment- beacon, shovel, probe, partner, brain. The parts of the mountain not opened yet are backcountry conditions. We have not looked at them let alone mitigated any hazard. Use your brains, it's a long season.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Schweitzer was great, yesterday. We skied Saturday and it was okay for being my first day on snow. However, it got a little boring. Then the snow started to fall.... 11" new between Saturday night and Sunday. Headwall, Near Stiles and the traverse over to Snagline were excellent. We skied the triple for a few runs to start with then migrated over.

Saw this note from Tom Eddy on Facebook so be careful if you're going up this week:

For anyone thinking about hiking Schweitzer on Monday, please be aware that we received 11" of snow that started out light and ended with some warming sitting on 1 meter + of some weak, unconsolidated snow. This means heavy slab over deep weak layer = potential for large avalanches. Please do not ski in areas not previously open this season. Please make sure you have the right equipment- beacon, shovel, probe, partner, brain. The parts of the mountain not opened yet are backcountry conditions. We have not looked at them let alone mitigated any hazard. Use your brains, it's a long season.
    Yeah I pulled out a little slab on Sunday up there, bout 15' wide, down to the last crusty layer, didn't really propogate but woke me up a little.

North Spokane Costco has discount tickets for Red, $99 for two includes discounts on lodging as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayuse View Post
    North Spokane Costco has discount tickets for Red, $99 for two includes discounts on lodging as well.
    Lots of 3 for $99 codes floating around out there from the Snowlander Expo. I may have 1 or 2 left if somebody is heading up there soon.

Schweitzer skied much better than I expected yesterday. Coverage is decent. There definitely is a crust off piste but it is highly skiable if you stay on the steeps and better yet in the already chopped up stuff. Groomers are good and not hard pack icy... beware of some surprise rollers and dips.

It's still frigid and 45 minutes of this doesn't help.

^^^ Oh man, that sucks. Great Escape?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    ^^^ Oh man, that sucks. Great Escape?
    Felt more like Great NO Escape.

Or...The Great Mistake as we tend to refer to it.

Wow. Stayed home with a cold in my head yesterday and kinda glad I didn't push my luck now that I see that.

On the Red note, if anybody's looking for a couple days of AST 1 course this weekend, Big Red Cats probably still has at least two spots open for a couple hundred bucks; Friday and Sunday class, and Red opens Saturday. Not affiliated in any way, just giving them a shout out because they were gracious enough to give my wife and myself a rain check for that class for an extreme hardship (no, not the head cold). That and it seems like a good deal after scouring the options; $209 Canadian with a cat ride seems like it might be good for keeping the group moving together.

Bigredcatskiing.com

Quote Originally Posted by bumski View Post

It's still frigid and 45 minutes of this doesn't help.

This is similar to my experience at 49 on Friday stuck on the chair for 40 minutes at -20 deg windchill. Fortunately they got it moving prior to rope evac. Had a hard time warming up after that.

Anyone going to Silver this Thursday. Headed up there myself. Should be good with the new snow and more on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Anyone going to Silver this Thursday. Headed up there myself. Should be good with the new snow and more on the way.
    I'll probably go up for the morning. Not sure I'm as optimistic on conditions though..

BTW $10 tix at Schweitzer on Friday, $20 on Saturday.

Hearing the backside opens tomorrow?

if anyone is interested in some exercise tomorrow morning let me know. looking for a morning skin, hopefully in a little fresh

Quote Originally Posted by spknmike View Post
    I'll probably go up for the morning. Not sure I'm as optimistic on conditions though..
    Yeah, looks like the forecast changed. Oh well, should still be soft. I'm wearing TNF all black,"anti skittle", get up. 187 PM Gear Fats. Ugly gold frame smiths, no helmet. I am probably only skiing till 12 or so.

BTW $10 tix at Schweitzer on Friday, $20 on Saturday.
    That will be a fuckin zoo, been there done that.