Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1670
  1. #1526
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Motown
    Posts
    569
    +++vibes from Utah for the entire community.

  2. #1527
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    305
    The search will continue tomorrow. Horrible situation that we all hope closure happens for soon.

  3. #1528
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    7,671
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    The search will continue tomorrow. Horrible situation that we all hope closure happens for soon.
    Just read that mike. Ugh. Can’t imagine being up there and having to pull off for the night.
    Closure soon please. Long two days.
    Mad props to Silver Patrol, SAR and others!

  4. #1529
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kellogg
    Posts
    75
    Live in the Silver Valley and got this forwarded to me today. Still cant believe this happened at Silver. Pretty lucky that these guys survived for 50 min under the snow
    01/07/2020
    Personal Summery by Bill Fuzak
    Avalanche burial at Silver Mountain Ski Area / Wardner Traverse / 16 to 1 run
    On Tuesday Jan 7, 2020 around 11 AM I was involved in and consequently fully buried for approximately 50 minutes in an inbounds avalanche at Silver Mountain Ski and Snowboard Park. The avalanche occurred in a recently opened part of the ski area where over 20 inches of new snow had fallen in two days.
    I was part of a group of 10+ skiers and boarders that had entered the Wardner Traverse area and started setting a ski packed path on the Traverse. We had been waiting for the rope to drop for the area and entered the traverse only after the closed sign had been removed and with a Silver Mountain Ski Patrol member giving the verbal ok to “start cutting the traverse ourselves or wait for a Ski Patroller to break trail on the traverse”. I personally heard the conversation with the 3 lead skiers and the patroller as I was the 4th person going out onto the newly cut traverse. Our understanding was avalanche mitigation with explosive charges had been completed off the top of Wardner Peak before skiers and boarders entered the then uncut traverse.
     
    The going was slow and all but 6 or 7 riders of the original group dropped into glades prior to reaching the run named 16 to 1. The three lead skiers dropped in to ski the fresh snow about a third of the way across 16 to1. The rest of us, appx 4 or 5 people, dropped in closer to the tree edge. After only one or two turns the snow started to fracture above us as well as below us and the slide started to propagate and accelerate. I heard a female voice over my right shoulder, I think it was Rebecca, say calmly that “it’s giving way, try to stay on top”. I lost my left ski almost immediately and fell backwards while trying to release my right ski to no avail. A few seconds later while swimming to try and stay on top of the slide it slowed and pulled me down completely under the snow. As the moving snow ground to a halt and compressed around me I started punching upwards with my right fist to create an air hole above me. I was able to successfully reach the surface with my right fist and then started creating space around my mouth and face to get air. When I had air flowing unobstructed into the hole I had created I started waving my gloved hand out the air hole hoping someone would see me. I also shouted for help for several seconds before calming down. I was glad to have air and thought I had a good chance to be rescued.
     
    Within seconds, another, more powerful slide hit and buried my breathing hole under what felt like feet of snow. I heard and felt the snow compress around me and I was unable to move anything but my right hand to clear my face and mouth. At this point I tried to calm my breathing and conserve air. I don’t know how long I stayed conscious after that. I had already relegated myself to the inevitable as I knew the air would not last long. I was in no pain and knew I wasn’t injured. I’m really surprised how calm I felt but knew there was nothing I could do but wait and pray.
    The first thing I remember when coming back to consciousness was a group of rescuers cheering that a survivor had been located, me. I cannot express the surprise and relief I felt to hear and see other people digging me out. Ski patroller Bill held my hand and helped keep me calm as he and the others helped dig me out as I was buried upright in the deep snow. Apparently, my lips were blue when they unburied me and I was initially unconscious. My hands and feet were extremely cold but I was uninjured, breathing and moving well. I was elated to still be “here”. I was more than ready to get out of my encasement, afraid that a 3rd slide would bury me again. Bill asked me about other members of the party I was aware of. I thought there were at least 3 others buried in my general vicinity. I believe Ski Patroller Maya Pardue found me with her probe then other volunteers came over to help dig me out. Maya, thanks for sticking to it, finding me and consequently saving my life. I am eternally grateful to you and your group of patrollers.
     
    During and after extrication Patroller Bill checked me over and concluded I was not severely injured. I was able to walk and with help load into a toboggan attached to a snowmobile. A snowmobile driver and Ski Patroller Bill transported me down to the snow cat maintenance facility to be checked out by local medical professionals and warmed up. I sat with and spoke with another rescued local skier named Ken who had also been buried for 50 minutes. He also survived by creating an air space and through the incredible efforts of Ski Patrol and other volunteers on scene. I was interviewed extensively by the Sheriff as well as the head of Silver Mountain Ski Patrol in the Ski patrol office.
     
    I cannot give enough thanks and compliments for the effort shown by the Silver Mountain Ski Patrol, Search and Rescue volunteers as well as other skiers and riders that played a role in saving my life and the other riders lives. My family especially wants to thank them all for saving us. My heart goes out to the families of the two riders that did not survive.
    Sincerely,
    Bill Fuzak
    All ways look out for Jerry

  5. #1530
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    2,389
    50 minutes under the snow. terrifying.

    condolences to all of those involved.

  6. #1531
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,586
    Man, what a helpless feeling. Sincere thoughts to all of those affected.

  7. #1532
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,507
    Quote Originally Posted by wordbird View Post
    It really fucking sucks and is txtremely sad that multiple people have died last week. Particularly those that died (2?) inbounds, that definitely leads folks to question the idea that skiing is mostly safe. Especially for a lot of folks that don't frequently downhill ski like we do.


    5 people dying from one storm in a low populated area is really the most insane part of this. Probably unprecedented in modern recreational age, unless from a multiple burial scenario.
    don't take this the wrong way, but, what led you to believe skiing is mostly safe? skiing, even without the threat of avalanches, is mostly dangerous. you pretty much have to sign something any time someone else could be responsible for your injury that you know skiing is an inherently dangerous sport, and avalanches are just but one of those dangers.
    it's not unprecedented, and this is obviously a multiple burial scenario.

    But you are right that it sucks and sucks even more about the girl still missing. Can't send prayers all i can send is tears.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  8. #1533
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,507
    Quote Originally Posted by teledance View Post
    Totally agree it was a good decision, but 2.5 hours of news they would be open a update to the website at 7:39 it's 6" not 5" and come on up, then to decide at 7:45 to close, well 4 of us were there in memorial to our friend who passed yesterday.
    P.S. Lookout is boring as hell, said by one buddy who is on Vaca from Cle Elum and was also there in memorial. Vibes to the families of the departed.
    I just think you have to give everyone's decision making process a break here. You guys were hurting. They were obviously already crushed over all this too and imagine getting that call first thing the next morning that someone (who they possibly know) is still missing.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  9. #1534
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    don't take this the wrong way, but, what led you to believe skiing is mostly safe? skiing, even without the threat of avalanches, is mostly dangerous. you pretty much have to sign something any time someone else could be responsible for your injury that you know skiing is an inherently dangerous sport, and avalanches are just but one of those dangers.
    it's not unprecedented, and this is obviously a multiple burial scenario.

    But you are right that it sucks and sucks even more about the girl still missing. Can't send prayers all i can send is tears.
    Fatality rate of less than 1/million ski days is a safe activity imo. Less than .5% of skiers will die even assuming very generous 50 resort days a winter over their skiing career and more risk taking activity than average skier. Backcountry skiing on other hand is more dangerous by at least a magnitude if not more.

    In-bounds skiing ~~ swimming and biking in risk.

  10. #1535
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Udapimp
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Canesfootball View Post
    Live in the Silver Valley and got this forwarded to me today. Still cant believe this happened at Silver. Pretty lucky that these guys survived for 50 min under the snow
    01/07/2020
    Personal Summery by Bill Fuzak
    Avalanche burial at Silver Mountain Ski Area / Wardner Traverse / 16 to 1 run
    On Tuesday Jan 7, 2020 around 11 AM I was involved in and consequently fully buried for approximately 50 minutes in an inbounds avalanche at Silver Mountain Ski and Snowboard Park. The avalanche occurred in a recently opened part of the ski area where over 20 inches of new snow had fallen in two days.
    I was part of a group of 10+ skiers and boarders that had entered the Wardner Traverse area and started setting a ski packed path on the Traverse. We had been waiting for the rope to drop for the area and entered the traverse only after the closed sign had been removed and with a Silver Mountain Ski Patrol member giving the verbal ok to “start cutting the traverse ourselves or wait for a Ski Patroller to break trail on the traverse”. I personally heard the conversation with the 3 lead skiers and the patroller as I was the 4th person going out onto the newly cut traverse. Our understanding was avalanche mitigation with explosive charges had been completed off the top of Wardner Peak before skiers and boarders entered the then uncut traverse.

    The going was slow and all but 6 or 7 riders of the original group dropped into glades prior to reaching the run named 16 to 1. The three lead skiers dropped in to ski the fresh snow about a third of the way across 16 to1. The rest of us, appx 4 or 5 people, dropped in closer to the tree edge. After only one or two turns the snow started to fracture above us as well as below us and the slide started to propagate and accelerate. I heard a female voice over my right shoulder, I think it was Rebecca, say calmly that “it’s giving way, try to stay on top”. I lost my left ski almost immediately and fell backwards while trying to release my right ski to no avail. A few seconds later while swimming to try and stay on top of the slide it slowed and pulled me down completely under the snow. As the moving snow ground to a halt and compressed around me I started punching upwards with my right fist to create an air hole above me. I was able to successfully reach the surface with my right fist and then started creating space around my mouth and face to get air. When I had air flowing unobstructed into the hole I had created I started waving my gloved hand out the air hole hoping someone would see me. I also shouted for help for several seconds before calming down. I was glad to have air and thought I had a good chance to be rescued.

    Within seconds, another, more powerful slide hit and buried my breathing hole under what felt like feet of snow. I heard and felt the snow compress around me and I was unable to move anything but my right hand to clear my face and mouth. At this point I tried to calm my breathing and conserve air. I don’t know how long I stayed conscious after that. I had already relegated myself to the inevitable as I knew the air would not last long. I was in no pain and knew I wasn’t injured. I’m really surprised how calm I felt but knew there was nothing I could do but wait and pray.
    The first thing I remember when coming back to consciousness was a group of rescuers cheering that a survivor had been located, me. I cannot express the surprise and relief I felt to hear and see other people digging me out. Ski patroller Bill held my hand and helped keep me calm as he and the others helped dig me out as I was buried upright in the deep snow. Apparently, my lips were blue when they unburied me and I was initially unconscious. My hands and feet were extremely cold but I was uninjured, breathing and moving well. I was elated to still be “here”. I was more than ready to get out of my encasement, afraid that a 3rd slide would bury me again. Bill asked me about other members of the party I was aware of. I thought there were at least 3 others buried in my general vicinity. I believe Ski Patroller Maya Pardue found me with her probe then other volunteers came over to help dig me out. Maya, thanks for sticking to it, finding me and consequently saving my life. I am eternally grateful to you and your group of patrollers.

    During and after extrication Patroller Bill checked me over and concluded I was not severely injured. I was able to walk and with help load into a toboggan attached to a snowmobile. A snowmobile driver and Ski Patroller Bill transported me down to the snow cat maintenance facility to be checked out by local medical professionals and warmed up. I sat with and spoke with another rescued local skier named Ken who had also been buried for 50 minutes. He also survived by creating an air space and through the incredible efforts of Ski Patrol and other volunteers on scene. I was interviewed extensively by the Sheriff as well as the head of Silver Mountain Ski Patrol in the Ski patrol office.

    I cannot give enough thanks and compliments for the effort shown by the Silver Mountain Ski Patrol, Search and Rescue volunteers as well as other skiers and riders that played a role in saving my life and the other riders lives. My family especially wants to thank them all for saving us. My heart goes out to the families of the two riders that did not survive.
    Sincerely,
    Bill Fuzak
    double whammy,sobering, thanks for sharing the 1st hand account. vibes to all
    embrace the gape
    and believe

  11. #1536
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N. ID
    Posts
    146
    Jeff G. Was walking the parking lot Wed morning checking vehicles and license plates, so knew something was up, told him the Spinter Van had moved from the day before, hopefully they find the woman today and no one else is missing. Going to miss the Honeybadger.

  12. #1537
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a parallel universe
    Posts
    4,711

    2013/14 Inland PNW thread

    Condolences to the family and friends of those who were lost, hoping for closure for the still missing.

    Also grateful for all the recoveries.

    Sad and sobering.

  13. #1538
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    7,671
    If you guys want to argue that topic, take it to the slide zone please.

  14. #1539
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down on Electric Avenue
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    If you guys want to argue that topic, take it to the slide zone please.
    This X2. FKNA...

    ~~~~~~~~~`

    Wow, this is terrible news. Sad vibes for all of you, especially those connected to this event.

    Thoughts and Prayers from Wyoming,
    Seriously.

  15. #1540
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eburg
    Posts
    13,083
    +2 This is so sad. Time to gather together and mourn. Take the spat elsewhere.

  16. #1541
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    River City
    Posts
    2,375
    I read the account by Bill Fuzak this morning and it sent chills up my spine. I have been in that train on multiple occasions. I have broken trail all the way out to the meadows where I skied down by myself. I could have easily been in this situation, it really hits home. This event will have a profound impact on such a close-knit community as the Silver Valley.

    The patrol and volunteers are amazing for the work they have done! They have worked tirelessly for the past 2 days and have a long day ahead of them today, my hat is off to them!!!

  17. #1542
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    186
    Looks like they found her. Rip. Hopefully this brings some closure to all involved and the entire event. Tragic.

    https://www.kpax.com/news/u-s-and-th...tain-avalanche


    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  18. #1543
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    7,671

    2013/14 Inland PNW thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdubmpdx View Post
    Looks like they found her. Rip. Hopefully this brings some closure to all involved and the entire event. Tragic.

    https://www.kpax.com/news/u-s-and-th...tain-avalanche


    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Edit to add conformation that she is recovered.
    My heart truly breaks for families of the lost and those who were there.
    Major props to the SAR groups and Patrol.

  19. #1544
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Highyak
    Posts
    455
    N. Idaho / Inland PNW mags, let us know if there's anything the rest of us can do. Sucks to lose three folks right off the bat of what's been a slow start to the season. If there are GoFundMe's or avalanche education scholarships or anything, keep us in the loop.
    "Pay your nickel and take your chances"
    "they don't groom Alpental, they just move shit around."

  20. #1545
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    352
    Check out this link: http://www.khq.com/tncms/asset/edito...a-ef94ef1b8a0d


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  21. #1546
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    7,671

    2013/14 Inland PNW thread

    Big snow rolling in this weekend with cold temps. Skiing should be stellar.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 01-09-2020 at 09:43 PM.

  22. #1547
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    305
    Forecast looks like CdA area getting more than 60 miles north. We will see! Gonna be fun wherever ya go. Dress warm!

  23. #1548
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SEA>DEN>Spokanistan
    Posts
    1,368

    2013/14 Inland PNW thread

    Skied Silver today — it was quite special and emotional at times. The gondy ride was filled with conversations from those who knew the deceased. Community day could not have come at a better time as it did add some levity to the day. Chair 4 was closed and so were all runs that let you anywhere near the avy site which was for the best I think.

    The vibe was a mix of stoke and somberness. It was hard to not be stoked about the 1.5ft of fresh that fell this week and was left untouched but I felt my mind really wander when on the chair lift.

    Chair lift chat was really good today, no matter who I rode with conversations about avalanche terrain, risk tolerance, and safety were continually brought up.

    Made some new friends and harvested the goods all with a full kit and beepin’ haven’t seen that many packs on at Silver, ever — also lodge was full of people wearing transceivers.

    While skiing through gate two I did hear someone say “I hope this isn’t too early for an avalanche joke”. Everyone instantly shot a look that said FUCK off. Surprised the pubescent fuck wasn’t laid out.

    Storm rollin’ in as I left, gunna be a gooder this weekend.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #1549
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    305
    Way to get after it Skylift!

    I’ll be back in the game Monday after a weekend of my sons hockey.

  25. #1550
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    7,671
    Nice doood!
    This weekend should be, how would DJ say it,TITAAAYYZZ!
    Rolling in to tram early tomorrow. Feeling a cold coming on so may call in sick Monday.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •