Page 102 of 148 FirstFirst ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 3689
    I thought lifties got green pass “tip”...

Anyway, I’m not sure how much more visitors increase because of the new ikon pass. If someone told me I could ride Schweitzer for free when I lived in Seattle, I would said no thanks. I can ride here for free and 1 hr drive. Why would I spend 6 hrs driving to a mountain that’s not better? If I have to drive, I would drive a bit more and get to a better mountain.

I think it does create an opportunity for people to say “let’s go visit ___ in Spokane/cda for the holidays and ride Schweitzer while visiting”.

Or people to stop by on the way to better mountain. “Schweitzer is 2 hrs away from I-90. We can get few hours before they close. Let’s go there and we can figure out where to get motel on the way to big sky”. Red Mt. is even farther away than Schweitzer from I-90.

However, it does create a huge incentive to get Schweitzer ikon pass if you live locally. Red and Schweitzer? Day tickets are cheap around here enough that people will pay $40 to ride with their buddies if they want to ride other hills around here.

Spokane/valley/cda is a sizeable population and post falls and rathdrum getting bigger by a minute unchecked, Schweitzer on ikon is a good move for them. Not sure how Red made any money before but maybe they can break even with ikon partnership. It’s a long way from anywhere but Spokane and it’s still 3 hrs away....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anybody still out hiking for spring turns?

We're all busy riding bikes before it's total moon dust. (which some spots are already getting there, yikes.)

Ha yeah, Beacon Hill was already getting pretty dusty last time I was over there. Canfield was weird as it was real dry in spots and then mud from snow melt. Been a few weeks since I’ve been up there. Looking forward to the bike park at Silver opening at the end of the month.

Been thinking about trying to find some spring ski turns up north but I may just have to make the trek West and ski a Cascade volcano if I can carve out the time. Those are always epic days. Long climbs but nothing like a 5k vert descent!

We're all booked up in the west. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by jimmiepoison View Post
    .... nothing like a 5k vert descent!
    5K vert descent naked on acid

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    5K vert descent naked on acid

if you're wearing a pack are you really naked?
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Quote Originally Posted by jimmiepoison View Post
    Anybody still out hiking for spring turns?
    I went and found some turns north of sandpoint this weekend. There's snow but way less than normal. There was significantly more snow in June last year than there was this weekend. Melting crazy fast. Comparing the snow on the road from morning til afternoon, melted 6"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    I went and found some turns north of sandpoint this weekend. There's snow but way less than normal. There was significantly more snow in June last year than there was this weekend. Melting crazy fast. Comparing the snow on the road from morning til afternoon, melted 6"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6653.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	375058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6640.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	375059

Name:	IMG_6641.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	375061

This is from the top of Scotchman’s on Saturday. Didn’t bring my skis but there is definitely some areas up there that still look in decent shape. It’d be a long approach without much skinning though.

2013/14 Inland PNW thread

What a killer day at Silver Bike Park with a solid mag contingent! Chair three was open along with top to bottom gondy runs. Things were riding FAST!

Name:	IMG_5308.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	376571

Name:	IMG_5314.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	275.9 KB 
ID:	376573

Name:	IMG_5336.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	376574

Name:	IMG_5342.JPG 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	376575

A couple shots from Friday night at Beacon.

Name:	IMG_5280.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	376579

Name:	IMG_5270.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	400.6 KB 
ID:	376580

Photo cred : @NWSkier

Name:	IMG_5297.JPG 
Size:	886.1 KB 
ID:	376576

Name:	IMG_5296.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	441.7 KB 
ID:	376581

Nice! I gotta get up to Silver and get some bike park laps in. How was the dirt out at Beacon? Last time I was out there it was really dry.

2013/14 Inland PNW thread

Yeah upper 2/3rd are really good. Lower 1/3 already dry.

I don’t ride there much after July for that reason... that and I’d rather ride the alpine under human power.

went for a mild hike today on the nordic trails @ 49. at one point i heard a loud, aggressive-sounding snort coming from the forest around a turn. the kind of snort you can feel, like from a bull.

needless to say, my instincts kicked in and i ran 30-40 yards back up the trail--envisioning defense plans--before looking back. nothing following.

what do y'all think i heard?

Moose

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Moose

that makes sense.

so what do folks do/pack to feel safe hiking out here? this was a vanilla trail near human activity--road, resort w/construction. what can I expect venturing a little deeper into the wilderness?

Bear spray is always a good idea around here. It would deter a moose, too, if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Bear spray is always a good idea around here. It would deter a moose, too, if necessary.
    i think I'll start with that and a loud whistle. thx.

Tower footings for the new speed quad staged in the main lot @ jackass N

Hucks are early and the bears are out. And, stressed. We were in the Swan Lk area when a biker was mauled and killed this past weekend by Griz. Carry spray, make lots of noise and better yet, avoid areas with huckleberries so the bears can get some calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    Hucks are early and the bears are out. And, stressed. We were in the Swan Lk area when a biker was mauled and killed this past weekend by Griz. Carry spray, make lots of noise and better yet, avoid areas with huckleberries so the bears can get some calories.
    so Huckleberry Mountain is out.

that's some scary shiz. terrible.

spray on order. whistle next. considering one of those bells but my self-respect is interfering.

neighbor says he packs a glock in addition to spray. I'm not there yet.

hiking alone - fine, bad idea, or get ready to die?

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post

spray on order. whistle next. considering one of those bells but my self-respect is interfering.

Get the bell. What's a whistle going to do? Scare them? Kinda want to avoid that. If you really want to be stylin get a giant, melodious cowbell. Or one with a stick, if you prefer to get your Blue Oyster Cult on.

I won't ask what the glock is good for, but someone should.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Get the bell. What's a whistle going to do? Scare them? Kinda want to avoid that. If you really want to be stylin get a giant, melodious cowbell. Or one with a stick, if you prefer to get your Blue Oyster Cult on.

I won't ask what the glock is good for, but someone should.
    cowbell. heh. it helped them not fear the reaper, so there's that.

guess i need to read more about the whistle idea.

the glock guy is from Alaska and hikes a fair bit so i give him some instant cred. seems extreme and dangerous. but I'm gathering info and it's info.

It was more than likely a whitetail doe as they have fawns right now and get very vocal when danger is present to alert other deer and their fawns.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post

Spray? Good. Whistle? Not so sure. Bells? Do you mean dinner bells?

As for a pistol, by the time you get it out and take a shot (which would serve to piss off most grizz), you're down.

Hiking alone? Meh, free country but I wouldn't. Better to bring someone along who can't run as fast as you...

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    As for a pistol, by the time you get it out and take a shot (which would serve to piss off most grizz), you're down.

Hiking alone? Meh, free country but I wouldn't. Better to bring someone along who can't run as fast as you...
    i gather the idea behind the bell is to broadcast "I'm coming your way and have hilarious ways of showing it". but I've not read any literature on efficacy--just a single ad on Amazon.

for solo I'll stick to the well-worn trails for now while I seek out a partner with short legs. thx.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    It was more than likely a whitetail doe as they have fawns right now and get very vocal when danger is present to alert other deer and their fawns.
    makes sense. amazing how much resonance they can generate with their snout. it was really robust.