Page 18 of 148 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

2013/14 Inland PNW thread

Quote Originally Posted by wordbird View Post
    Burke? that's a fun and easy access place to ride. I was thinking off using lookout lifts to get me to above 5000' tomorrow, and probably riding something that's not your normal SE facing/steep regis line.
    Yeah we rode Burke. Lookout lift bump is a nice way to avoid the flat slog on the way out. Personally, I’m not super interested in being in st Regis, Stevens or copper lake basins when the avy danger is this high. Though there is obviously fun and safe mini golf terrain in each. You’ll definitely find fun, smooth turns if ya go, just don’t expect blower

Well now it's supposed to be 40 degrees for the next 2 days and then turn into rain/snow then snow. Hoping for another pow day next weekend. Mlk is going to suck due to weather and people but hey, a day in the mountains is better than in town

Make money. Buy toys.

Out of Schweitzer gate, CTE 16 on Sunday. Still not trusting everything. Low angles yesterday, stopping above convexities and skinning back up. Experienced a moderate whumpf on the way up on last run. Snow was nice on NW aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Out of Schweitzer gate, CTE 16 on Sunday. Still not trusting everything. Low angles yesterday, stopping above convexities and skinning back up. Experienced a moderate whumpf on the way up on last run. Snow was nice on NW aspect.
    CTE was in the low 20's on ESE aspect at 6300' in Regis today, no propogation, we fucked up our column a little bit with ski brakes when cutting though. No signs of instability besides roller balls on east/south facing stuff, lots of sled tracks that seem at least a day, likely 2 days old. Unskiable easily breakable crust all the way down to the basin. Skinning up, we thought north facing might be better, so maybe copper basin is holding some good medium effort lines if somebody wants to get after it before the next storm rolls in.

Forecast is looking decent for the days leading up to Saturday according to the NOAA for Silver Mt. I'll probably head up for first chairs Saturday morning

Make money. Buy toys.

Rain/Snow mix at lodge level at Schweitzer this morning. 1" new there but Snotel is showing 8" new overnight at 6,100' with a temp of 31 and dropping. Triple might be good today with 2-4 more expected. Backside of the mountain is closed today and the avy report is showing High at all levels. I imagine avalanche control work will be ongoing today in prep for tomorrow. Snow is predicted pretty much through the weekend. If anyone is thinking of going bc, think again. If you do, be sure to ski something that hasn't slid in the history of mankind; low angle and stay away from the usual traps. Stay above convexities, out of the gullies, stay on top of the ribs, etc. It's touchy but looks like over the next couple of days that it should consolidate and the danger lessen. Could be a great weekend, just not a great day today.

LO reporting 18 inches the past 24 hours,
    49N reporting 2 ....
    MOTHERFUCKER!
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot View Post
    LO reporting 18 inches the past 24 hours,
    49N reporting 2 ....
    MOTHERFUCKER!
    Silver got 8 in the last 24 and we are hoping for 2 to 4 more inches to add on to tmrw

Make money. Buy toys.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Rain/Snow mix at lodge level at Schweitzer this morning. 1" new there but Snotel is showing 8" new overnight at 6,100' with a temp of 31 and dropping. Triple might be good....
    Didn't make it Thursday, but today the wind had flattened everything up there pretty well and the fog was hiding the goods. Couple times I could've sworn Sam musta left the only other tracks in that Alley. If it's not all wind-chalk by tomorrow it should still be worthwhile up high. Down low today's 2" skied like 2 mm.

^^^Don't punch through, that rain crust is nasty. That 7" claim in the report...hmmmmm

49N today: frozen chickenheads, chickenlegs, whole birds
    buried under 2 inches of fresh, made for a bumpy ride;

Shwizz today was really good. Depending on where you went,anywhere between 4 to 8 fresh. Really fun but vis was a bit flat. Went out the gates for a couple this afternoon. Stability is much improved, stuffs not slabs on convexities with things that concerned me last week having already gone. 8 to 12 deep and silky. Really nice sliding. Snowed hard this afternoon picking up a new 3. Tomorrow should be good again.

Headed back out tomorrow GM? Easter egg colors somewhat muted by a grey pack tomorrow, but beater moves should be in full effect.

Oh, Hey.... I just got back home (Spokane) and hadn't checked in. Skied this morning with my crew, out at lunch.

Headed to Schweitzer Thursday. Orange trew jacket, black bibs, black and orange helmet, protests or Lhasa on my feets.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Headed to Schweitzer Thursday. Orange trew jacket, black bibs, black and orange helmet, protests or Lhasa on my feets.
    Ill be the guy in the green, silver and pink speed suit with a full faced Jofa helmet, see you at the NASTAR hut.

I've totally seen you! You're so rad!

Schweitzer is continuing to get pounded. 12"Tuesday night, 8" yesterday, and 7" overnight last night. Another 3-5" today and tonight, 3-6" tomorrow day/night, 4-9" Saturday/night, 3-5" Sunday....then it warms a bit and the 'R' word shows up. "Get it while you can before the shit hits the fan."

Back-country is the same old story for this season. Heavy wind-loaded pack on top of weak layers. ENE aspects most susceptible. Rating is High above treeline and Considerable at and below. Mellow slopes below 5k feet, watch for overhanging cornices and stay the hell out of the terrain traps. Things will be twitchy the next several days.

To add to my post above, this happened this morning during control work. Lakeside Chutes slid to the 12/16 layer with a 12' crown, taking out trees and pushing the ice out of the lake when it bottomed out. Be careful out there!! And thanks to Schweitzer Ski Patrol for their hard work in mitigating these issues.

Another angle. Note the explosives still being tossed.

Schweitzer skied insanely well today. Best day of my season. Great vis and mid thigh snow.
    The slide aftermath was intense.

ditching work tomorrow, taking out my first gen S7s
    im gonna rip the shit out of it .........

Can confirm 2FUNKY skied the shit out of it today. What a blast...

Silver claims to have gotten another 6 inches last night for the 3 feet this week!

Make money. Buy toys.

Are any of y'alls going to the Doug E Fresh this weekend at silver?

Make money. Buy toys.

No but skiing tomorrow with NWskier and kopi red in tow.