Fiss, Austria (mostly pics, little TR ;))

Finally I went skiing.. After a season behind the books, finishing up on my study I only managed to get a week in. Fortunately, we scored some pow

A nice deep day in Fiss, Austria.

Mrs. AH.

Familyresorts rule.. Most of the tracks in this shot are ours. We've managed to hit this sweet little bowl three or four times without ANYONE joining in..

While everyone kept saying: "gosh, nice pistes!"

The runout, on to the next bowl.

2nd day, still plenty of powder to be found..

Especially in the trees. Temperatures went up, but the upper part of the mountain remained in very good shape. The lower parts turned nice and creamy. Reminded me a bit of Powder Mountain

And another random treeshot..

Nothing like a good Zipfer to end those sweet days!

Nice picts. The place looked like it would be fun with more snow when I was there over Christmas. We had the worst icy gaper slalom week for most of the time, but there is definitely some decent terrain. Family resorts do rule, except when they don't have snow! Problem I see with that place is it doesn't get a lot of snow on average otherwise it prolly wouldn't be a family resort. Way to git sum.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Those the thunders, AH? Gotta love that Die-Cut base

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Very, very nice! That fourth shot down in the bowl looks absolutely devine. My jealousy is rising...

I'm just curious - what type of skis are those with the apple on the base? I can't remember seeing anything like that over on this side of the pond. Are they Euro-trash specific?
    Fighting foot fungus one public bath house at a time!

My site

They're Movement Thunders (www.movementskis.com), from a little swissbased company that used to make snowboards (wild duck) and now uses that knowledge for the good of the skiing community

Nice shots, it's great finding those Austrian family hills with old lifts, no queues and fresh tracks all day.

http://www.nobleboards.co.uk/acatalog/Movement.html

Yeah, there are still a couple around. Gotta love 'em.

F
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Gotta say, Fiss isn't a small place and actually has very moderm lifts and a lot of them. Its just the clientel has no idea or inclination how to ski off piste.
    He who has the most fun wins!

I learned to ski near Achenkirch, in a tiny hamlet called Steinberg. It rocked.

Movement skis are great, i have demoed the Thunders and the Joysticks. Looking to try out the big air this year and make a purchase. So sweet and such a smooth ski.
    Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of resume's in the bin without reading them.

The FreeHeels (G3 Ticket in the US) rip too. The Asymmetrical sidecut stuff actually seems to work - all you have to do is put them on edge and they'll fly off in massive, arcing turns

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

YO BART! I'm posting this to epic!

Sweet little TR.

What's a Zipfer?
    Dunno.
    Me neither. I just pissed my pants.

It's in German but there's prize for the first one to work out what a "zipfer" is

http://www.zipfer.at/index.php?Seite_ID=35

http://www.audi-quattro.at/images/zipfer.jpg
    Last edited by DB; 03-18-2005 at 06:19 AM.

Cool pictures!

Was that last week in Austria?

Looks like much of the same snow we had in Gastein

Jup.. Last week, we were actually quite fortunate not to be in the Salzburgerland or a bit more in the western part of Tirol, because those regions got absolutely hammered (I'm talking about bases of about 5m) and had very unstable snowpack. On the second day, we even saw some stupidass snowboarders setting of an avalanche that roled out on the piste while hitting a closed area (but hey, at least they had fun...). The day we got back in the Netherlands, we read about a dutch guy in Mayrhofen (also Tirol) being killed in an avalanche in the same day these pictures (the last ones) were shot..