Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Props for doing this. So many people toss their old skins. Seems like such a shame and waste in a sport that tries to be environmentally friendly

Yeah happens way too often. Though I love when I get jobs for those old old orange BD skins with the fold over (non riveted) tip loops. I like seeing people get all the can from something.

an added data point ...

I have another pair of BD skins for different sticks. Pulled them out today and they had failed in the off season as well. About the same age as the ones that drove me to this thread a dozen posts upstream.
    the kicker .. my Pom's are stored in the exact same spot, same 'drying-before-folding' system out of sunlight and never above room temp. So I pulled the Pom's out, and they're a-ok.
    Not a study of statistical significance, but ....

Today, Bro at the local shop said BD recalled a buncha skins lately for this exact issue. Any of you queens hear about that recall? I hadn't.

So I just bought a new set of Pom's. $210 bones or clams or whatever you call them.

I'll still recruit Drufus when I make UT, as I'd like to not toss my 'old' skins, but for now I'll see if I get better success without BD.
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    an added data point ...

I have another pair of BD skins for different sticks. Pulled them out today and they had failed in the off season as well. About the same age as the ones that drove me to this thread a dozen posts upstream.
    the kicker .. my Pom's are stored in the exact same spot, same 'drying-before-folding' system out of sunlight and never above room temp. So I pulled the Pom's out, and they're a-ok.
    Not a study of statistical significance, but ....

Today, Bro at the local shop said BD recalled a buncha skins lately for this exact issue. Any of you queens hear about that recall? I hadn't.

So I just bought a new set of Pom's. $210 bones or clams or whatever you call them.

I'll still recruit Drufus when I make UT, as I'd like to not toss my 'old' skins, but for now I'll see if I get better success without BD.
    Yeah I've heard about the recall fixed up many pairs from it. Customers have reported zero problems after the reglue.

You were probably bit by that recall bug.

But for real hit me up if you're out this way for long. Or you can drop skins in the mail and I'll send them back. I'm flexible for sure on that stuff.

Sarge, you must buy your Goldlabel by the case any probelm getting the stuff with covid shortages ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Hi, just wondering what people use for a rip strip? I have some older skins for a wide ski, 126 in the waist, and originally they didn’t come with the strip, and are tough to get apart without it. Last reglue I used a strip of clear packing tape folded on itself, and also with other skins have used the green paint tape folded, but both turned out less than ideal…the paint tape much much less, lol.

Thanks very much.

After regluing skins, I toss them. I've tried to re-use them or glue around them and it never went well. But, I do use cheat sheets. I cut a piece so that it's about 1/3 the length and narrower than my skins, and then I just fold the skins around the sheet.

[Actually, I just do this for my wife and don't use cheat sheets myself, but I didn't want to call you a pussy. ]

Quote Originally Posted by germs View Post
    Hi, just wondering what people use for a rip strip? I have some older skins for a wide ski, 126 in the waist, and originally they didn’t come with the strip, and are tough to get apart without it. Last reglue I used a strip of clear packing tape folded on itself, and also with other skins have used the green paint tape folded, but both turned out less than ideal…the paint tape much much less, lol.

Thanks very much.
    I just pull off the glueless strip, clean it a bit with wax remover or acetone ( I forget which ) and stick it back into the new glue cuz IME they are pretty strong

I have often wondered what could be used to replace that strip if need be, some kind of heavy duty ribbon ??

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Sarge, you must buy your Goldlabel by the case any probelm getting the stuff with covid shortages ?

Last year was tough I ended up just buying whatever brand and type of glue I could get my hands on.

This year I've been able to get gold label when I need it just have to shop around a bit. I probably should contact BD about buying it in bulk. I usually buy about 5 tubes at a time and 1 tube does 2.5 to 3 pairs of skins depending on length and width.

But yes I buy a lot of glue

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    Last year was tough I ended up just buying whatever brand and type of glue I could get my hands on.

This year I've been able to get gold label when I need it just have to shop around a bit. I probably should contact BD about buying it in bulk. I usually buy about 5 tubes at a time and 1 tube does 2.5 to 3 pairs of skins depending on length and width.

Damn dude I hope you have a good VOC cartridge mask that glue is powerful. Otherwise I’d guess you’re down a couple brain cells. Maybe the funky colors make up for it?

A poor glue supply will eat into your bottom line, I'm not even in the bidness but I always stock a couple tubes of gold label for personal cuz a sealed tube doesnt go bad and usually you need glue end of season and the stores are out of stock so think ahead

a blasting engineer from Kitsault gave me sage advice " buy yer liqour by the case and yer pot by the lb... do er right eh "

I had some Pomoca skins that were struggling, especially I thought in cold temps. Added some BD glue in strategic locations and then melted the BD glue into the remaining Pomoca with the parchment paper + iron and it's been working great. Saved me a trip to the Sargent.

BTW, Sargent, do you offer reglues with Euro glue?

Speaking of euro glue - I reglued with colltex due to limited gold label availability in Europe this fall. Despite my work looking, at best, like a sack full of smashed assholes, the glue has proved to be surprisingly robust in cold temps. I might be using this from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    I had some Pomoca skins that were struggling, especially I thought in cold temps. Added some BD glue in strategic locations and then melted the BD glue into the remaining Pomoca with the parchment paper + iron and it's been working great. Saved me a trip to the Sargent.

BTW, Sargent, do you offer reglues with Euro glue?
    I did last year more out of supply reasons than anything but if someone prefers Pomoca glue to BD glue I have no problem doing that.

I've thought about offering such things but it seemed an unnecessary hassle for the time being

Anyone know if gold label sticks to glue already on skins well? I used the G3 glue renew sheet and didn't have my iron turned up high enough on initial reglue so had some spot tear away on other side...

Reheated them and rolled em with a rolling pin but still have some spots with no glue and want to just touch em up with the gold label? Would that do the trick?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Try reading the quote in the post literally right above yours.

Quote Originally Posted by rigbone View Post
    Anyone know if gold label sticks to glue already on skins well? I used the G3 glue renew sheet and didn't have my iron turned up high enough on initial reglue so had some spot tear away on other side...

Reheated them and rolled em with a rolling pin but still have some spots with no glue and want to just touch em up with the gold label? Would that do the trick?

You can go right over the top with BD Gold label no problem

here goes nothing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1643163231.950508.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	402874

I did the sheet G3 glue renew for a buddy, used 320 F on my toko T-12 iron so that is lots of heat, I'm not really sure WTF happened cuz he took off on a 4 yr bike tour but his kid used the skins and said something about the glue not sticking, its unclear but i think the G3 glue sheets dont stick very well SO I would go with tubes of gold label which are also WAAAAY cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I did the sheet G3 glue renew for a buddy, used 320 F on my toko T-12 iron so that is lots of heat, I'm not really sure WTF happened cuz he took off on a 4 yr bike tour but his kid used the skins and said something about the glue not sticking, its unclear but i think the G3 glue sheets dont stick very well SO I would go with tubes of gold label which are also WAAAAY cheaper
    Unfortunately none of the shops in town had gold label otherwise thsts the route I would have gone. I will say, after running over them again at max heat on my iron they seem to be holding up great so far

Unfortunately none of the shops in town had gold label otherwise thsts the route I would have gone. I will say, after running over them again at max heat on my iron they seem to be holding up great so far

Contour and Pomoca's glue are almost as far as I can tell identical, and they work just as well as the Gold Label, the only difference is Gold Label is less sensitive to mistreatment, mean if you say Dawn Patrol and left your skins in your car not fully dry and the temp got a bit warm the Gold Label won't break down as quick/easy. But if you can find Contour or Pomoca glue in a tube pay the extra 5 bucks and avoid glue sheets.

In my experience G3 Glue Renew sheet’s don’t work, so don’t waste your $. BD Gold Label sort of works, but it’s a lot of work and you’ll take years off your life sucking in xylene (slightly less toxic than the tolulene used previously), and you still won’t get anything close to the durability of factory applied glue. I currently just flip my skins every couple of years to maintain maximum performance, but (although I haven’t tried them) sending your skins to Big Sky Mountain Products for reapplication seems an environmentally responsible move.

Got 98% of the glue off last night, really wasn’t that bad.

Name:	Image1643212554.171977.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	402919

Name:	Image1643212572.344255.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	402920

Question: What do I do with the strip? My skins were a mess so I had glue on the strip that I did my best to get off. At this point do I remove the strip to get any glue left under them, then iron the strip back in once the reglue is complete?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Got 98% of the glue off last night, really wasn’t that bad.

Name:	Image1643212554.171977.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	402919

Name:	Image1643212572.344255.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	402920

Question: What do I do with the strip? My skins were a mess so I had glue on the strip that I did my best to get off. At this point do I remove the strip to get any glue left under them, then iron the strip back in once the reglue is complete?

Just peel it off and chuck it and get all the old glue off

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    In my experience G3 Glue Renew sheet’s don’t work, so don’t waste your $. BD Gold Label sort of works, but it’s a lot of work and you’ll take years off your life sucking in xylene (slightly less toxic than the tolulene used previously), and you still won’t get anything close to the durability of factory applied glue. I currently just flip my skins every couple of years to maintain maximum performance, but (although I haven’t tried them) sending your skins to Big Sky Mountain Products for reapplication seems an environmentally responsible move.

I've got people going on a second season on a reglue. ~50 tours per year from them. Haven't seen a factory glue get really much further especially if you're touring a lot.

Just peel it off and chuck it and get all the old glue off
    Thanks, this is what I needed to hear