Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Going through this again with an old pair of not very used G3s ( fit a new pair with just a bit of trimming). I use a hybrid technique. Iron on bond paper as have lots around waiting to be burned. Iron till glue penetrates paper then remove and then while still warm use metal scrapper to remove more. repeat. One hack is to use citric acid ( wax remover) to clean hands from stickiness and to soak and clean skim savers. Tried paint remover last year but the stink residue remains so more time wasted to get rid of that. The citric acid works great. Also works on skins to get last bit off.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Wear gloves.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Pulled the skins out for the first tour of the year .. BD skins, on their third season. I stored them with that waffle-y mesh protector thing in between them .. a bunch of big globs of glue stick to the mesh waffley thing and peel off the skin completely. Now there are spots of 'no glue' on the skin. I thought that was the whole point of the protector thing.

Was running late, so I just went with it. No more glue comes off the skin (onto the ski base) and the day goes fine. Not sure this warrants re-glueing (pita).
    I'll prob just fire BD and go with a new set of Pom's. Not enough days on those skins to justify glue coming off.
    north bound horse.

IMO glue gets fucked up when water hydrolizes on the glue and it could happen even to newer skins

If you have a waxing iron you could try ironing the glue that is still there on the skin since you got nothing to lose

use at a higher temp than you wax at, I max out my TOKO waxing Iron at 320F for this but you are probably looking at med temp on a clothes iron

edit: try using cooking oil to get skin glue or any glue off the hands and then wash the oil off with soap
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Pulled the skins out for the first tour of the year .. BD skins, on their third season. I stored them with that waffle-y mesh protector thing in between them .. a bunch of big globs of glue stick to the mesh waffley thing and peel off the skin completely. Now there are spots of 'no glue' on the skin. I thought that was the whole point of the protector thing.

Was running late, so I just went with it. No more glue comes off the skin (onto the ski base) and the day goes fine. Not sure this warrants re-glueing (pita).
    I'll prob just fire BD and go with a new set of Pom's. Not enough days on those skins to justify glue coming off.

Your glue went bad in the off season probably due to improper storage.

The skins are fine and you just need to reglue them which means stripping off the old bad glue if you're in the salt lake area I'm happy to do it for you the 50 I charge is way better than the cost of new skins.

Also stop using the waffle mesh just store your skins glue to glue.

Air them out after each tour to make sure the moisture evaporates before you put them away and then don't let them get above room temp. If you're in the salt lake area again text me 801-708-4714. I do probably a 4-6 pairs of skins per week.

The problem isn't with the BD skins.

Because this happens with Pomoca too

Here are some photos of my handiwork

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211020_054048213.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	397273 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211020_054804405.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	397266 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211018_055310324~2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	397268 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211018_060255275.PORTRAIT~2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	397270
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211020_054050505.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	397265  

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post

The skins are fine and you just need to reglue them which means stripping off the old bad glue if you're in the salt lake area I'm happy to do it for you the 50 I charge is way better than the cost of new skins.

Air them out after each tour to make sure the moisture evaporates before you put them away and then don't let them get above room temp. If you're in the salt lake area again text me 801-708-4714. I do probably a 4-6 pairs of skins per week.

Here are some photos of my handiwork

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211020_054048213.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	397273 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211020_054804405.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	397266 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211018_055310324~2.jpg 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	397268 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211018_060255275.PORTRAIT~2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	397270
    Andrew is the Man when it comes to regluing. His glue blob is legendary.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    IMO glue gets fucked up when water hydrolizes on the glue and it could happen even to newer skins

If you have a waxing iron you could try ironing the glue that is still there on the skin since you got nothing to lose
    I'll try this. I've always let them fully dry before storing, hang them for a day or two before storing them on the mesh. I just figured it was a bad batch of glue, as while yes this happens it usually takes way longer IME.

I'm in CO, but may be out that way a few times this winter. will look you up if I make it, thanks! and I'll get rid of the waffle mesh.
    north bound horse.

Just my data point, but in many years with many pairs of skins over many, many skis I’ve never had a problem with the mesh. We use the mesh all the time, for storage and during tours.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Just my data point, but in many years with many pairs of skins over many, many skis I’ve never had a problem with the mesh. We use the mesh all the time, for storage and during tours.

Yeah the mesh isn't the problem per se, but it just adds bulk and unnecessary fuss, and doesn't in my experience provide significant enough (or any) prolonging the life of the glue.

It can happen with all brands if you let them get hot during the off season. If it's localized spots, don't bother stripping all the old glue off, get a tube of Gold Label adhesive (not the iron on strips) and touch up the bare spots with a brush (in the day, Gold Label came in a can with an applicator brush). Let dry overnight, then iron them flat (you may as well iron the entire skin) using the BD contact paper that came with the skins between the iron and the plush. As other posters have noted, you need to use a higher temp on the iron than you would for wax (max on a real wax iron, cotton on a thrift store iron). Don't bother with skin savers, just store them at or below room temp all the time.

The grid seemed more about providing an easier (less upper body strength) rip to separate the skins than ever “saving” them.

a ski store owner told me the numbers didnt add up when it came to doing skins but he will sell you another pair,

I did consider doing it for others but IME the fumes were just too fucking nasty at least for my shop area at home

50$ seems more than fair, I hope you got a good setup with great venting Sarge, skin re-gluing is worse than fixing drysuits IME

and I never use the mesh either

a ski store owner told me the numbers didnt add up when it came to doing skins but he will sell you another pair,

I did consider doing it for others but IME the fumes were just too fucking nasty at least for my shop area at home

50$ seems more than fair, I hope you got a good setup with great venting Sarge, skin re-gluing is worse than fixing drysuits IME

and I never use the mesh either
    Yeah venting maybe could be improved but the garage is large and honestly the fumes from the new glue are worse than fumes from the old glue. Except of course when it comes to Contour's hybrid glue, that stuff is the worst to take off, and I am considering either charging more for those or just not doing them, but I hate to see still usable skins go to waste when they can be salvaged.

Last year I made 2k doing it. (Charging $40) This year I'm going to clear that figure by late January/February word around SLC has gotten out and business is about 50/50 people needing a reglue, and people seeing my work/hearing about it from a friend.

While its a bit time-consuming, heating and scraping off skin wax is oddly satisfying for me - the before/after is just so much nicer looking

Yeah venting maybe could be improved but the garage is large and honestly the fumes from the new glue are worse than fumes from the old glue. Except of course when it comes to Contour's hybrid glue, that stuff is the worst to take off, and I am considering either charging more for those or just not doing them, but I hate to see still usable skins go to waste when they can be salvaged.

Last year I made 2k doing it. (Charging $40) This year I'm going to clear that figure by late January/February word around SLC has gotten out and business is about 50/50 people needing a reglue, and people seeing my work/hearing about it from a friend.
    A buddy had his XC ski waxing bench in his basement, he sometimes used the nasty fluoro wax so he scavenged a range hood from the dump which he mounted/ wired over the wax bench with a vent pipe to the outside, it even had a serviceable light and it was free

I did one pair of those glue-less skins for a bud, I would just give those a pass, it was real bitch to get the old stuff off but then none of the gold lablel stuck to the skin it all just rolled off into a 15$ ball of clean glue

So I just reglued my skins with the g3 stuff a couple days ago and peeled them apart today to see big chunks of glue ripped off stuck to the other side....

I noticed there were some spots not sticking great when I applied it and went over with the iron again pressing hard and thought I got it, guess not

Is this job still salvageable or is the pooch screwed? Run over it with the iron again or should I cut spots of the leftover sheet I have?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

how much heat did you use? Waxing is done at about 270 F but I use my Toko T-12 maxed out to 320F on the readout for skin re-gluing

maybe cut pieces for the spots that didnt stick and try again with more heat, also roll over the glue with a wine bottle ?

I'll try that, I used the recommended temperature from G3 which seems too low based off previous posts here, about 100° on the iron

Props for doing this. So many people toss their old skins. Seems like such a shame and waste in a sport that tries to be environmentally friendly

Quote Originally Posted by rigbone View Post
    I'll try that, I used the recommended temperature from G3 which seems too low based off previous posts here, about 100° on the iron

I did a job for a buddy with the G3 sheet glue he provided AND I remember he said some of the glue did NOT stick,

I can only say I'm not really sure about that G3 sheet glue and I only use the Gold label cuz its way cheaper

I did a job for a buddy with the G3 sheet glue he provided AND I remember he said some of the glue did NOT stick,

I can only say I'm not really sure about that G3 sheet glue and I only use the Gold label cuz its way cheaper
    I was considering picking up some gold label when im in the city just in case this doesn't work out haha

Tubes of Gold label are WAY cheaper than that sheet shit, it will often be out of stock ( even before covid supply issues) when you need the stuff, it does not go bad in a sealed tube, so I always have 2 tubes of gold label in the XXX-er gear stash and I suggest you do too

I need a reglue, my skins got fucked when I moved from PHX to Idaho. It probably got to 130F in that damn uhaul.

Pretty confident in my abilities to do this myself, but do know that I don’t have the right tools for the job. What are people using for a heat source? Heat gun?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

if you use your wife's hair dryer you could be in the "I love my wife and all but jhc " thread

OR heat guns are pretty cheap, use one to heat a 4" putty knife and the glue

tacking the skin down with some drywall screws is key to easier scraping,

having somewhere to wipe the putty knife before you are standing there wondering where to wipe the knife is smart

I used a hairdryer when I did my reglue and I was wishing I had a heat gun the whole time. It just didn't get the glue hot enough to scrape large sections clean in one pass