Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

fatal slide in japan

Last edited by HansJob; 11-24-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

vibes is right. quite the terrain trap

couldn't quite make out the report due to it not being in merican words, but i'd love a translated copy.

rog

^^^As would I. That is quite a crown for this early in the season.

Wow that is some heavy stuff.

wow - that is pretty sad. What is up with that hudge tent city at the base of that mtn in that guys pics?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Thanks for the link hop. Quite the sobering read. I will try and get some good from it, maybe some more search and rescue practice.

thanx hop.

"But what I do want to say is that when you wear a beacon on your chest its not there to save you- its there for you to save some one else. With out being too over dramatic- you need to treat the beacon like a badge a fireman wears and understand that when the alarm goes you better be ready to run in to the fire."

yup.

rog

I was looking for more info on this avalanche so thanks for the link.
    Holy moly is all I can say
    The whole issue with the stander-by's is insane

spook Guest
    as far as the bystanders were concerned, i thought maybe when they first got there or were wherever they were when they saw a huge avalanche that the bodies were getting pummeled in the snow plus all the blast cloud. maybe they didn't know there was anybody there until the actual rescuers arrived. still doesn't excuse not helping dig but it's weird. maybe they were in shock.

Yea I gathered that they were in shock too and were essentially petrified
    Can't blame people for that after seeing something so insane but it's still crazy that so many people were around and couldn't react.
    the high res photo was crazy

Also random side note, but I'd never heard of this area. Seems like a cool place, aside from the tragedy that happened yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    whew...Heavy. Thorough, engaging and horrifying write-up.

Vibes to those affected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Seems like a lot of speculation from the report. Glad that guy did as much as he could.

a few possibilities . I am sure there are many more.

1. The people on the sidelines did not have beacons.

2. they were shellshocked and froze.

3. they were fucking idiots who left their beacons on while people were searching ( hence the guides showing up and yelling for everyone to switch from send to receive).

super sad, that range looked like the ultimate shitshow with hundreds of tracks.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

if you look at this tent city, i gotta believe there were hundreds of people around there ill prepared for disaster

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tent city.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	145434

I count almost 100 tents and it looks like that might only be half of them.

they really worked that left side of the mtn -

edit to add this pic of that area at night - looks like special place to hang in right conditions

http://www.modestbike.com/dlp/index....oing/tateyama/
    Last edited by NoPostholio; 11-26-2013 at 08:57 PM.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    if you look at this tent city, i gotta believe there were hundreds of people around there ill prepared for disaster
    That particular weekend is an annual event of sorts. It attracts a wide variety of people with a wide variety of skills and experience.

Two weeks earlier - not much/enough snow. One week later, mechanised access to that area shuts. That is why you get so many people in one place at one time on that one weekend, which often coincides with a public holiday.
    Life is not lift served.

for perspective, what is elevation gain from tents to summit ish?

Tents at 2300m. The highest ground in that photo is 2800m or so.
    Life is not lift served.

Shit hop... that is a heavy read.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Crazy crazy happenings. Thoughts out to the fam and friends and CMH skiing.

Very sad. And wow, that’s quite the early season crown line, and as Rog said, quite the terrain trap. Vibes and best wishes to all involved and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    thanx hop.

"But what I do want to say is that when you wear a beacon on your chest its not there to save you- its there for you to save some one else. With out being too over dramatic- you need to treat the beacon like a badge a fireman wears and understand that when the alarm goes you better be ready to run in to the fire."

yup.

rog
    situational awareness is not the strength of most humans.
    sad situation indeed.
    b

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    situational awareness is not the strength of most humans.
    b
    tragedy brings that strength to the forefront for a short time till the dust settles. then it all comes round again..........slowly ramping up the phenomenon that is complacency.

rog

Seems like a fascinating place - if you look at one of the pics in this article, it looks like the bus terminal that I guess you can basically commute to by mass transit, pops right out the side of that mtn? And it seems like it has the summer tux kinda shitshow appeal since one video had about 80% of the people with skis racked and hoofing it up a low angle snowfield. Looks like nice place for summer hut trip. Makes sense what NB said, now that I read this - I guess there were so many peeps camped b/c the way to get out there would be closing soon.

http://www.poachninja.com/wiki/tatey...ama-prefecture

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    about 80% of the people with skis racked and hoofing it up a low angle snowfield. [/url]
    In Tateyama, virtually no one boot packs their skis on their shoulder, if that is what you meant. Not important either way, just clarifying.

Also, looking at it through avalanche eyes, there is actually very little worthwhile low angle terrain that is usable during elevated avalanche danger. A lot - but not all - of the worthwhile low angle has (multiple) steep start zones above and is exposed to overlapping runouts. What it does have in its favour is plenty of ridges and high-ground features allowing you to reduce exposure if you are willing to thread them all together.

None of this post is a commentary on the incident, just in general regarding the Tateyama area.

Note: I classify terrain as "low angle" and "steep" from an avalanche's perspective, not a freeride movie perspective.
    Last edited by neck beard; 11-27-2013 at 08:57 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

I boot pack with skis on shoulder quite often

this line was close to 1500 vert. did it 5 times before lunch. shouldering my skis.

twas an early morning.

packs are heavy.

rog