Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Geeking out on ramp angle/delta.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    That just shows how delta is such an individual thing as many are doing the opposite.
    Yeah for me I think I’m more sensitive to forward lean.

My Cochise in Jesters is what I’m used to for alpine.

My Zero G in Alpinist was more upright and I felt like a beginner!

Zero G in ATK matches the forward lean to my alpine setup and I don’t really notice a ramp difference.

It could be worse. My wife absolutely loves her Nordica Dobermann Aggressor 130, 95mm lasted boots with full length length abduction. Just try to find touring boots that fit or ski anything close.

After eight year bump I don't feel bad about a 10 month bump!

What I'm interested in is two primary questions:

1) what's the order of operations?

Set ramp angle, then forward lean, and finally delta (via boot sole grinding or binding shims.)

2) I read a post by Bud Heishman addressing question number one above, where I think he reccomended setting ramp angle first based upon one range of dorsiflexion and having some achilles tension at rest. Ski "... can't remember the website that is no longer in existence quoted early in the thread or elsewhere..." I think talked about setting ramp angle for "dynamic tension" which makes sense from a physiologic perspective. A slight stretch and activation of the golgi tendon apparatus would turn on proprioceptive neural activity and Preload muscles for action.

So how does one determine the appropriate ramp angle? Just to clarify, forward lean and delta can be set later. That is to say all three do different things but still affect center of mass I'm the saggital plane.

Unfortunately, I broke my boots last spring and am working through a new pair if boots. I have a 295 bsl and 130 flex boots so I'm sensitive to the fore aft balance thing. I don't race and therefore don't need crazy forward lean angles.

I just started working with a new to me boot fitter in our new locale.

Fuch epicski.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post

So how does one determine the appropriate ramp?
    I used a low ramp angle binding and a ski with Binding Freedom inserts.

Big bag of different length screws, various home made shims and a range of different canting shims.

Took me about a week of skiing to figure out what worked best for me.

I appreciate the input ocean; however, what you are discussing is delta not ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    I appreciate the input ocean; however, what you are discussing is delta not ramp.

My main point was that it is easier to try things and see how they feel, rather than trying to predict the outcome of a change.

When I spent my week fiddling with binding shims and binding cants I also had some variable heel lift shims that I taped to the boot board inside my boot shells.
    Last edited by Ocean; 01-02-2022 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Brevity

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
    My main point was that it is easier to try things and see how they feel, rather than trying to predict the outcome of a change.

When I spent my week fiddling with binding shims and binding cants I also had some variable heel lift shims that I taped to the boot board inside my boot shells.
    You are absolutely right. I can admit that due to my professional training and likely genetic/nurtured bent I am prone to making certain that everything is correct before launch. Skiing can clearly afford some trial and error . Good reminder

That being said, I am still curious as to how one determines an efficacious internal ramp angle. Fwiw I have plenty of ankle dorsiflexion.

From what I understand, if you have a lot of dorsiflexion you should start with less internal ramp angle and more forward lean. Then you can adjust binding delta.

Best discussion on ramp angle and forward lean I've found... @ 59:00

https://youtu.be/Ke6SkVwd8QI
    If you want to nerd out

Dropped the ramp angle in my new boots... night and day difference... not perfect yet but soooooo much better.

My results from dropping ramp angle: more forefoot (1st met head) pressure with obviously increased ability to pressure the front of the ski and be centered forefoot and aft.

Thanks for sharing, very interesting conversation and all makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Thanks for sharing, very interesting conversation and all makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    For another interesting dive into boot alignment check out cantology series on the tube.