Another "WTF to do in XXXX" Thread

Gonna be in San Antonio next Monday night, then Austin for 24 hours on Tuesday before heading to Killeen (yay) for Thanksgiving. Any recommendations?

Que for lunch in Austin area would be cool. I know there are oodles of choices (Franklin and Stubbs are near our hotel - the Driskill) but what's your favorite? Anything sightseeing-wise we shouldn't miss in the Capital?

Pretty set with the Alamo and River walk areas in San Antonio, but I'm assuming there's a favorite Tex-Mex spot in that city with the TGR crew. What say ye?

SA= Henry's Puffy Tacos (will need car/taxi from Riverwalk)
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Most of us are trying to have fun, not be Luke Skywalker and blow up the fucking death star, save the galaxy, and be the coolest Jedi at the next movie premier.

South Congress Cafe is good for breakfast with typical austin type shops up and down congress in the area. Could easily burn a couple hours there.

Zilker park is pretty classic for austin shit to do. Nice park, but really its just a park, nothing particularly spectacular about it unless its summer, then it's fucking cool.

As far as Tex-mex goes, Torchy's is super popular and good, but heavier on the Tex side of the texmex. For the Mexican side of Austin, head over to east Austin and find a hole-in-the-wall mexican joint. A good one is Las Cazuelas.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/las-cazuelas...tuarant-austin

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by givethepigeye View Post
    SA= Henry's Puffy Tacos (will need car/taxi from Riverwalk)
    huh. thats not a stripclub

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bangers-saus...-garden-austin

That place is good too in the more Germany tradition of that area of Texas. Rainey Street in general is pretty cool. Mostly bars and restaurants. Good place to get drunk.

"One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

SA= Henry's Puffy Tacos (will need car/taxi from Riverwalk

^^I think this is what you get when you pay for a date with a tranny girl in San Antone

Thanks guys. I'll run these by the boss and ask her what sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    SA= Henry's Puffy Tacos (will need car/taxi from Riverwalk

^^I think this is what you get when you pay for a date with a tranny girl in San Antone
    I know it will be hard but river walk is the equivalent of mccarron airport on a layover. Unless you are a total tourist who jacks off at state fairs you will be bored.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    I know it will be hard but river walk is the equivalent of mccarron airport on a layover. Unless you are a total tourist who jacks off at state fairs you will be bored.
    so, slutty drunk girls? that's a bad thing? fuck, TGR is so fakely suburban facebook whore these days what the fucks the difference?

For que, look into heading out to the Saltlick. Definitely not in Austin, but worth it, and that's coming from a KC guy. http://www.saltlickbbq.com/

For in Ausitin, I can second congress cafe and torchys. You're probably good just wandering 6th st and popping into whatever looks good. Home Slice is good for pizza, Doc's on S. congress is a good spot for an outdoor patio/bar it the weather cooperates.
    Kansas - First Of The Rectangle States

Salt Lick is the shit. Not the best, but far up there on the list.

Will likely hit the Salt Lick in the Airport for lunch on Friday.

Food trucks in Austin are really good - poke around.

Uchiko is insanely good but Le Bernadin prices (and worth it).

Paul Qui just opened up his new place "Qui" and I've heard good things.

Quality Seafood has never done me wrong either.

Noble Pig for gourmet sandwiches.
    I still call it The Jake.

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. Here's how it went down:

Landed in San Antonio on a rainy, cold Monday at 11:30am. Checked into the hotel (Drury Inn & Suites River Walk - nice place for the price) and walked the River Walk for a bit.

Stopped for lunch at Acenar, which was close and pretty highly recommended by both a friend of mine and the concierge. Had a variety of appetizers - Guac, Ceviche, Chips & salsa - followed by two soups (Azteca and Pozole Verde, both delicious) and split a plate of Carnitas between us. Food was delicious. Highly recommend the place if you want something right on the river.

Walked up to the Alamo and did the tourist thing. Nice place, no crowds thanks to the weather and it being Monday. Took some pix, but nothing special. Walked around downtown more and then took a nap.

Hit up "the oldest bar in San Antonio" for dinner - The Esquire which was right across the river from our hotel. Great food and cocktails, and nice ambiance. Kids loved the stuffed animals on the walls.

Woke up on Tuesday, grabbed some coffee and baked goods, and headed to Natural Bridge Caverns out in the Hill Country to do the "Secret Passages" tour. Really interesting and a great way to spend a couple hours. Only 8 of us in our group so the guide had plenty of time to answer all my son's questions. A 10yo can really come up with a shit-ton in a place he finds fascinating.

Camera foggedf up pretty hard when we entered the 70deg. 99% humidity cave from the chilly outside:

Finally got it somewhat cleared up...

After the tour we decided to do lunch in New Braunfels instead of driving all the way to Lockhart, our original plan. Found Cooper's BBQ on google maps, had good reviews, so decided that would be the place. What a great call... I ate probably 1.5 lbs of beef ribs (wet) on my own, along with some jalapeno bacon mac & cheese and pickles. So fucking good. Then we hit I35 and drove the hour into Austin.

Checked into the hotel (The Driskill - awesome place) and after a short nap headed out for what turned into the highlight of the trip. We had been teasing the kids since getting on the plane in Baltimore about how we were going to blow their mind on Tuesday afternoon... and that we did. We had booked the Family package at iFly Austin, an indoor skydiving facility, and it was worth every single penny. 3.5 minutes total flying time = the free-fall time of about 4 jumps from 10000ft without the gut-check factor. We watched 4yo kids doing it, as well as their 70yo grandfathers. 95 out of 80 stars... would do again tomorrow.

Still full from the meatgasm that was lunch we just stopped into the Iron Cactus for dinner, mainly for the kids. It was "meh" at best, but their margaritas were good and the location on 6th street was handy.

Afterwards the wife and kids went to bed and I went bar-hopping. That area is ridiculous - probably 12 bars with live music within 3 blocks of our hotel. Found a crowded place (The Chuggin' Monkey) with a decent Texas Blues cover band, drank some brown liquor, and flirted with the hot bartender (mmmm... Kyra.) At midnight, after being called "Sir" by nearly every yoga-pantsed blonde in the place and doing shots with some decked-out Australian rugby players who were on tour, I decided that I could definitely live in Austin if I was forced to move to TX. Great town.

Other than hanging with our friends and having some great meals at their house Killeen (well technically Harker Heights) sucked. Fuck that place.

So thanks again for your input. I did have Salt Lick BBQ at the airport but honestly it paled in comparison to Cooper's. I'm sure the real deal restaurant is much better, and it was great for airport food, but there you have it.
    Last edited by Tippster; 12-01-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Great TR to read while watching football Indoor skydiving sounded great!!

Added photos.