Thread: K2 Shaxe

K2 Shaxe

http://www.earnyourturns.com/21596/f...xe/#more-21596

http://k2skis.com/tools/rescue-shovel-plus-ice-axe

“Shaxe”, a rescue shovel with an interchangeable Ice axe head that meets CE standards for B-rated ice axes. Also comes with Rescue Kit hardware for sled construction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k2rescueshoveliceaxe-6.jpg 
Views:	859 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	144993

I'd been wondering if these were compatible with older K2 shovels. See from the EYT link they're not... makes sense. Pity they lost the hoe handle option for the shovel though.

Seems a good idea. Might have to go on my letter to Santa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I was also interested until i picked one up, pretty heavy....

I seen this end of last season andd ist been on my geardar so elaborate, is it heavy for a shovel, how substantial is the axe, is the shovel heavier because a shovel handle must double as an axe handle ?

I could do with a better shovel than my voile mini, I don't have an ice axe and I wouldn't be a big user of it BUT it would be nice to have an axe and to tick all the boxes off in one go
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

After comparing my shovel weight to the Shaxe i take it back, the shovels not any heavier than my current shovel because the shaft does not extend, i do like the extendable shaft if you ever need to dig out anyone it certainly would be better, then again if you ever need the ice axe nice to have.
    I ended up buying one at 20% off with the holiday sales going on and i can say that it is a very high quality product that is now part of my collection of shovels.

Not worried about the (remote) possibility to lose the axe and then need the shovel?
    I for one don't think I would dare use such a thing, kind of the same as storing shovel shaft or blade on the outside of my pack..

If i was making a climb and had to use my axe i would use a leash.

I wouldnt trust an axe with a removable head in a fall arrest situation.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Indeed. Cutting corners to save space, weight, and money is nice. But not with safety gear.

I'd no sooner use this axe, than lead climb with a 3mm rope.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Indeed. Cutting corners to save space, weight, and money is nice. But not with safety gear.

I'd no sooner use this axe, than lead climb with a 3mm rope.
    I was talking to Volken about these a week or so ago.

He's been using one for a year and he's completely satisfied with how it performed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

not to mention it has a cutoff shaft for a spike. Not the best for climbing icy couloirs or faces.

I used a sample last year on a few trips, while I was with K2, and I really like it. It's heavier than an axe, yes, but lighter than an axe and a shovel separately. The design is solid, with quite a bit of redundancy in the attachment of the axe head (pin/clip attachment that has to rotate and pull to open, with a rubber sleeve that slides over it to keep it from moving). The axe has been tested to and passes the CE standard for B-rated ice axes. I don't do any technical ice climbing with it, it's a steep-snow-climbing and self arrest tool when I take it out, and I trust it fully.

I've used a whippet and before that a Ramer Claw. The Shaxe is more for climbing confidence and arrest than those, i will still ski with the Whippet on the down, better to have something rather than nothing if one needs an emergency arrest.

Plus it also makes into an emergency sled......

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I presume everyone is making these statements without even seeing the product? My lady just got one...look plenty strong enough for a snow axe to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    I presume everyone is making these statements without even seeing the product? My lady just got one...look plenty strong enough for a snow axe to me.
    I saw the picture. Here in TGR that makes me the resident historian in all things k2 shaxe. Duh....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Do you reckon the axe is solid enough for around these parts? I need a new shovel for my new pack anyway (current one's blade is too tight a squeeze for the avi pocket), so this might be worth looking at although I don't like short shovel shafts or t-grips.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Do you reckon the axe is solid enough for around these parts? I need a new shovel for my new pack anyway (current one's blade is too tight a squeeze for the avi pocket), so this might be worth looking at although I don't like short shovel shafts or t-grips.
    Its UIAA B-rated, so for ski stuff and the odd classic alpine route in the summer I would say so. They claim to have made it stronger than some other B-rated axes so they are obviously pretty confident in it. I'd use it.