Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Think about it, you use only the first name "Tiger" in a Lindsey Vonn thread...
    yeah, not that cryptic though. I figure most here are pretty savvy about ski racing. Not hard to figure out, though.
    code name: Shaw (III, the 3rd)
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Glad she at least got the Bronze.

Hope she can keep it up for another year.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    I haven't heard anything on whether the course changed in terms of temp and snow relative to what the skis were prepared for. The venue and weather seem to have been particularly difficult in this regard. Anyway, bronze is awesome and subject to health she still looks set for hitting her numbers next season. Super class act and great to see.
    The Twitter photo of her DH skis afterwards was interesting. Obviously everyone else had the same challenges, but she definitely didn't look like the skis were running super fast for her, and not everyone gets bases worked like that.
    Last edited by GhostofSeasonsPast; 02-22-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    I hear ya girl, life is best enjoyed at a higher speed, but no one escapes the cost of that. I really appreciate what she's done for not just women's ski racing, but for pushing the boundaries of sport and mortality in general. I have a profound respect for her high standards of achievement and her relentless competitive spirit. She doesn't know fear and she has sacrificed her body to the sport. Not many people out there are made of what she is. She also displayed incredible class and respect for the other competitors in this moment, thank you Lindsey.
    ^^^This!!

Great wrap on her season. Hoping her knee and back hang in there just long enough to get it done next year.

IMHO, it is time to put a fork in it. I wish Lindsey well, but she needs a dose of reality. It looks like she got it, but is ignoring it.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

watched part of Lake Louise today. They showed her latest crash. I'd say she's still more viable and competent to compete than Bill Johnson was in his later years. But, she's definitely past her prime. She's kinda like the Tiger Woods of ski racing. Most want to see her come back and dominate another season, but odds are she'll only win a couple times if that on what's left of those knees. The last Olympics was her sign. I still think she'll see the podium several times if she can keep reasonably healthy. This should be her last season of FIS though.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

She is the war horse.

Heal up. Get a couple more WC runs in.

Go find a basketball team to date.

Subbanator is a good match. Both bad asses on ice.

She seemed to survive that crash pretty well. She has more in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Subbanator is a good match. Both bad asses on ice.

She seemed to survive that crash pretty well. She has more in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I was going to say something similar. I like that dude.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Saw something on another ski site she is still gonna try to make it to the start house this season.

Somebody needs to roofie her and take her away from snow for a couple years.

she skied this past weekend in cortina and managed a 9th place in DH
    but she seems very much done

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Watching her she still has it, but like the announcers were saying she was backing off a little compared to her normal aggressiveness. I cannot imagine her body is going to age well.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Watching her she still has it, but like the announcers were saying she was backing off a little compared to her normal aggressiveness. I cannot imagine her body is going to age well.
    While Vonn's most recent injury was to her left knee — she hyperextended it and sprained a ligament while training in November — the American's right knee is permanently damaged from previous crashes. She's racing with braces on both knees and goes through an extensive rehab process each evening to keep competing.

"I've had four surgeries on my right knee. I've got no LCL (lateral collateral ligament) on my left knee. I've got two braces on. There's only so much I can handle and I might have reached my maximum," Vonn said. "

She also skis with an airbag.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Caught the Cortina Super-G, and she was the only one on par with Shiffrin(!) until ran straight into a gate. That was a strange one (lighting issue?), she made it through the part that was sending most people out, and was coming on strong to the top spot at the time. Was going to be a close one.

IMO, until she actually retires*, it is always worth watching her line up**. Just look at the DH circuit last year -> Started with a couple surprises (incl Shiffrin(!)), but then was pretty much Vonn and Goggia trading crashes and wins, with Lindsey having a 4 DH win streak, a super G win, and a couple podiums to end the season. This was after everyone had already written her off. Anyone that judges her 17-18 based on the Olympic results was really ill informed, and missed an awesome FIS season.

* I think she should have retired a while back if simply being a super successful/legendary skier and slipping into an easy lifestyle with most of her body intact were the goal. She's not racing for anyone but herself anymore, and she's been outside of reasonable decision-making for a while. I hope she gets the record, but I really hope it doesn't get her first!

** Also, IMO, always worth watching any races in Cortina and Wengen -> fantastic courses, and both happened last weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I would say she doesn't quite have "it". But her not quite having "it" is better than 98% who do have it. She doesn't have the strength in her legs and the structure in her ligaments to power through some of those high speed turns. You can tell she has just a tad bit of tentativeness and doesn't 100% trust her legs to do what her mind is telling them to do.

Watching her in the super G, where she skied out through the right hand gate, IMO, two years ago, she makes that turn, and accelerates out of there and blazes the rest of that course to take the lead. Not saying her time would have beat Shiff's but it would have been close. I'm thinking she wants to give it one more chance to not DNF for her last race of her career.

Father time catches up to all of us, some faster than others.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I would say she doesn't quite have "it". But her not quite having "it" is better than 98% who do have it.
    Better way of saying what I tried to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    You can tell she has just a tad bit of tentativeness and doesn't 100% trust her legs to do what her mind is telling them to do.
    This as well.

From Twitter:
    lindsey vonn

Verified account

@lindseyvonn
    Following Following @lindseyvonn
    More
    After a lot of physical therapy and time to clearly think things through, we have come to some conclusions about my knee. First, we discovered the reason I had so much pain and muscle shut down in Cortina was due to an impact injury to my peroneal nerve. This most likely came

from the final jump on the first training run in Cortina, but it’s hard to know for sure. After that training run, the pain got progressively worse each day and by Sunday my lower leg was in a lot of pain and my muscles had completely shut down. Now that we know the problem the

next issue is fixing it. So far we haven’t found a solution and as a result I will not be able to compete in tomorrow’s downhill training run. However, since this is a new “injury” per say, I remain hopeful that we can fix it. I’m taking things day by day and we will see what

happens. I know that I might not get the ending to my career that I had hoped for, but if there is a chance, I will take it. Thanks for all of the support you have shown me, it helps keep me going.����❤️
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Sounds like a neuropraxia and that means the season will be over by the time she can train in earnest.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Sounds like a neuropraxia and that means the season will be over by the time she can train in earnest.
    Would be a bummer to go out because of neurapraxia.... but yeah, the lit I see online says 6-8 weeks, which she doesn't have.

Crazy is that she's good enough for those results with all these issues.... after having to take a bunch of time off.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

What really concerns me in these kinda deals (aging downhiller going for it with iffy body) is a Bill Johnson kind of crippling or even fatal wreck. DH isn’t something to play around with...

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    What really concerns me in these kinda deals (aging downhiller going for it with iffy body) is a Bill Johnson kind of crippling or even fatal wreck. DH isn’t something to play around with...
    I almost said this but dodn't want to jinx her that way.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I don't think this is a very fair statement. BJ was 40 and had been out of skiing for well over a decade when he fucked himself up in Montana.

Ask Dale Earnhardt if the wall cares who you are.

Ask Dale Earnhardt if the wall cares who you are.
    Exactly, that's why safety devises are crucial in all types of racing.

...stock car driver Dale Earnhardt altered the seat belt in his No. 3 Chevy Monte Carlo before the Daytona 500...

http://www.espn.com/classic/s/2001/0223/1104412.html

No matter if LV gets any more wins, I hope she can walk by the time she's 60