Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    This is something that has been discussed for a long time... adding sensors to monitor levels of impacts and base lining all players motor/cognitive skills. I remember 8, 9, 10 years ago, they were already talking about this (maybe not monitoring it wirelessly through an app, but all other things the same). I guess I'm not convinced this has much tangible use though - because in 10 years of data monitoring (at least on a some level), there have been no major benefits coming out of this type of research. I don't think any new hypothesis about how to reduce the risk, or new products developed based on information learned. I haven't read everything on X2's website, but what conclusions are they trying to reach? The only benefit to this type of tech is to remove a person from activity after the first concussion, to eliminate the risk of a 2nd subsequent concussion. If that is their value proposition - I understand.

But I still think it's like having an engine overheat warning light in your car, turn on only after you've blown your motor....

It'd be interesting to find out if there has ever been a study of how different brains/heads react to identical impacts, but from a cognitive standpoint, and an MRI standpoint. For instance, does my brain bruise more easily than your brain in a similar impact, just like certain peoples skin bruises more/less easily than others. Anyone know/seen anything like that?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gointhedistance View Post
    But I still think it's like having an engine overheat warning light in your car, turn on only after you've blown your motor....
    What kind of answer other than "don't hit your head" are you expecting? A flashing light to flare up in the google "you are now heading for a concussion, gird for impact" Other than a sport like gridiron football people don't hit their head on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by gointhedistance View Post

It'd be interesting to find out if there has ever been a study of how different brains/heads react to identical impacts, but from a cognitive standpoint, and an MRI standpoint. For instance, does my brain bruise more easily than your brain in a similar impact, just like certain peoples skin bruises more/less easily than others. Anyone know/seen anything like that?
    I will put this study together , do you want to sign up? I am looking for 100 participants, who will submit to MRI before and after I wack them in the head with a sledge hammer. The ethics board frowned on my idea, so we are going to have to run it on the DL.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

^^prolly has been done in monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    What kind of answer other than "don't hit your head" are you expecting? A flashing light to flare up in the google "you are now heading for a concussion, gird for impact" Other than a sport like gridiron football people don't hit their head on purpose.
    The way google is going with google glass, that might not be that crazy of a prediction. Scary.
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowSKI View Post
    The way google is going with google glass, that might not be that crazy of a prediction. Scary.
    Rumor has it, they are building it into the 2018 Oakley Airwave.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Hugh Conway Guest
    the text would be surrounded with ads for lawyers.

the text would be surrounded with ads for lawyers.
    Velocity/accelerometer/proximity sensors connected to helmet airbag as well as a 4G connection to an iPhone notification app for ambulance chasers. Our poor children.

I'm simply saying - that I still hope the helmet tech envelope can be pushed further... I'm not looking for a precursory warning system, obviously - just stating that time/money invested in prevention is still more worthwhile (IMO), than data collection post incident. I still think there is room to improve helmet material/combos that could improve upon today's helmets... Not safeguard againts ALL impacts, but more so than current ones do.

I guess I was expecting interesting conversation on possible helmet compositions that could help. To hear people's ideas different than my own. I got some of that, and then I got the same old "don't hit your head" argument again. I get it - but shit happens.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I will put this study together , do you want to sign up? I am looking for 100 participants, who will submit to MRI before and after I wack them in the head with a sledge hammer. The ethics board frowned on my idea, so we are going to have to run it on the DL.
    I'm not signing up - but I'm sure we could find at least that many... and if not living humans, maybe donated brains from deceased, or I'm sure some lab would be willing to plunk a couple monkeys. Not sure how well those translate to living human analogies, but it'd be interesting.

I found it interesting in this video that bell doesnt even think about protection. Its all about looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSF6...e_gdata_player

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

spook Guest
    they should just put airbags in every helmet that can be reinserted (automatic suction function) and recharged between each play.

Having read this thread, post Schumacher's injury, I conclude:
    1 Wear a helmet, despite the limited, if any, protection against concussions. POC seems favourite
    2 Ski in and on soft materials: snow or prepared slopes. Avoid ice, rocks, trees, walls and other constructions. Choose your path carefully
    3 Slow down. May I suggest telemark skiing?
    4 Buy the next technology. ODS from 6dhelmets sounds promising.

Quote Originally Posted by klimgeyt View Post
    3 Slow down. May I suggest telemark skiing?
    You're the life of the party, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by klimgeyt View Post
    POC seems favourite
    Pourquoi?

Other than marketing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    You're the life of the party, aren't you?
    god forbid someone propose something that's simple (slowing down) and you can do without buying shit

pnw - perhaps marginally better design in a few areas, but yes, mostly marketing.

Some of the biggest head whacking whippets I've taken have been somewhat low speed telemark ing. Skis stop, face/head drives forward into snow. I'm seeing little birdies just trying to remember
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

5 mouth guard 6 butt plug

New POC lid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1388428335.532552.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	147513
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Some of the biggest head whacking whippets I've taken have been somewhat low speed telemark ing. Skis stop, face/head drives forward into snow. I'm seeing little birdies just trying to remember
    your solution to prevent injuries is .... ski faster? That you roj? Kinetic energy is square of the speed. It all goes somewhere.

god forbid someone propose something that's simple (slowing down) and you can do without buying shit

pnw - perhaps marginally better design in a few areas, but yes, mostly marketing.
    You'd have to slow down significantly. I thought I remember reading that even certified ski helmets were only tested to velocities up to 15km/hr. I could be wrong. I guess skiing way steeper terrain would be of assistance but for the vast majority of even the most gaperific skiers, 15km/hour would be super slow.

You'd have to slow down significantly. I thought I remember reading that even certified ski helmets were only tested to velocities up to 15km/hr. I could be wrong. I guess skiing way steeper terrain would be of assistance but for the vast majority of even the most gaperific skiers, 15km/hour would be super slow.
    Ski helmet will probably help if you hit the snow with your head. If you're skiing 40mph (don't know about this kph stuff) your head doesn't hit the snow at that speed. But if you hit a solid object head on at even 20 mph you will die. So not sure how much slowing down will help.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Ski helmet will probably help if you hit the snow with your head. If you're skiing 40mph (don't know about this kph stuff) your head doesn't hit the snow at that speed. But if you hit a solid object head on at even 20 mph you will die. So not sure how much slowing down will help.
    Exactly. It won't help. Helmets are for keeping your goggles fog-free when not on your face. They also guard against punters carrying skis in the parking lot.

That you roj?
    no, I don't fall. you should know this by now. not falling is much better than a helmet

rog

Did Rowger's HANS device help keep his sunglasses on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Did Rowger's HANS device help keep his sunglasses on?
    you talking bout that ex racer singer ballet skier?

rog