Broken Vertical ST Heel Piece

Before I take the plunge on cool new aftermarket (B&D) plates & volcanoes (cones), it occurred to me that somebody ahead of me has also broken a heel piece & purchased a pair of plates & cones from B&D. I'm looking for that skier because they have one Vertical ST heel plate in unbroken shape. PM me if you have one of those laying around for me. They are oddly hard to find, given that most of us probably break one and replace it with a pair of upgrade hardware. Thanks. New bits are $55.

You can probably get them from Dynafit for pretty cheap.

Happened to me last year. I took a photo and emailed Dynafit asking for price on a replacement. They mailed me a new one for free. YMMV.

thanks I'll try them again. they told me they sent their last one to a guy named skimaxpower ! (j/k!)

I did this a couple weeks ago and they sent me twice as many as I needed (They were white ST heel caps, but exactly the same as the FT in function). If Dynafit can't help you out, PM me and I can send you one.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Happened to me last year. I took a photo and emailed Dynafit asking for price on a replacement. They mailed me a new one for free. YMMV.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

hey great thanks JT! I seem to be on track awaiting a package. I'll put you down for a spare if Plan a falls thru. I appreciate it.

I'm glad I contacted salewa again. they sent me an entire heel assembly. I was able to replace the top plate held down by 4 screws - AND a difficult roll pin. Wow, that thing is a challenge. here is the crux; drive the roll pin thru with a nail (& hammer) so you can remove your top plate by lifting it vertically. Pro tip; while driving roll pin leave your screws at least partially installed to retain all the important bits. Then remove the 4 screws and top plate. Now using needle nose pliers, grab the roll pin which has begun to burrow into another hidey hole & lift it out of there. It can take a little abuse & won't bend. Then replace the top plate with the new one and drive the roll pin back in again from the outside after the 4 screws are reinstalled.

Step 1 back off small spring to lowest setting plus one full turn
    2 drive roll pin thru
    3 back out 4 top screws
    4 lift top plate to remove & replace; remove roll pin before replacing
    5 replace 4 screws not too tightly
    6 drive roll pin home
    7 reset spring to original setting
    Last edited by anemic; 12-10-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: remove roll pine step 4

Got a picture of this "roll pin"? I've taken apart plenty of Dynafit heelpieces and have no idea what you're talking about.

Confused. Did you take the parts off a good new heel from salewa and put them on an old heel. Or do you now have two good heels?

Greg, I think anemic is talking about this

^ Yup.

Taking apart Dynafit heels is scary. They have a tendency to explode, sending small springy metal bits everywhere. Advice not noted above is: turn down the release setting as much as you can before opening these tiny cans of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Advice not noted above is: turn down the release setting as much as you can before opening these tiny cans of worms.
    FTR, he's talking about backing off the vertical release screw before unscrewing the top plate fixing screws.

BigSteve for the win! thanks - yes, you can see the rollpin in those pics, at the bottom of the pic, bisecting the trapezoid cavity, into which seats the mating part of the top plate, which we break with out ski pole tip!

Mr Cat,

Yes I requested a top plate & received a heel piece assembly, which requires top plate removal in any case in order to deploy. Not possible to slap the new heel assembly onto the ski without partial heel piece disassembly. In order to free up the new top plate, I had to remove the rollpin from the new heel piece. I then drove out the rollpin & removed the busted top plate from my binding. Then I reinstalled the new top plate on my binding & drove home the roll pin. I began by reading Lou's Vertical heel piece webpage. Cheers, skiers.

Got it, thanks Steve.