Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Plan on punching them, they aren't very wide.

I was at Mec in Calgary last week, but they had very limited sizes in stock (pretty sure only a 27). I was shocked how light the boot was, but I didn't try it on for fit so I can't comment there.

Does anyone have an idea on BSL length's for the shell sizes? I'm normally a 25 or 25.5 in dynafit (mercury, vulcan, titan etc.) which is approx a 284-286mm shell.

In talking with a mec rep they said the 25 was a 277mm length, which is tough to wrap my head around. I would love to try them on first, but there only bringing in 1 or 2 pairs of 25's to Canada, and they wont be here until Christmas time (according to the mec rep) so I'd probably need to order in advance.

Thoughts?

27 is 304 mm
    Aggressive in my own mind

Mercury, One, Scarpa RS and the Spectra here are all 28s and all have a 314 BSL. Which I thought very cool

At least in the 27/28 they are matching up to the Dynafit ONE/Mercury. Email La Sportiva in Boulder they know for sure.

dynafit size chart
    http://media.dynafit.com/PDF/Conversion_Chart_Boots.pdf

Damn, I have sore legs and now a racoon face

me happy...
    Last edited by Dane1; 11-20-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Has anybody played with the tongue adjustment on these? I have read a few comments about the fact that you can adjust them, but I would be interested to hear how it changes the fit, and whether it has any impact on flex etc.

Also does anybody know when the full range of sizes will be available? I have seen loads of size 27s and 28s, but nothing else. I did manage to get my feet into the 28, but I would not want to ski it. Very impressed with the amount of adjustment, and just how solid it felt for such a light boot.

I was really excited when I first saw/heard about this boot. This thread got me even more excited.

I tried the Spectres on along with TLT6Ps, Vulcans, Freedom SLs, and Mastrale RSs. It is BY FAR the softest of the bunch. You can literally fold the tongue in half...compare that to the tongue on the TLT6 or Vulcan, both of which are pretty solid, and its easy to understand why this boot is so soft.

I personally think they failed at this concept with the flex tongue...I liked everything else about the boot. Granted, I didn't ski them but from flexing them in the shop I know they won't be able to handle the way I want to ski. I understand that this design gives you a huge range of motion in walk mode, but it is essentially like having no tongue in ski mode...the flex goes both ways. I'd rather have seen them go with a removable but solid tongue a la the TLT/Vulcan. If they offer a solid tongue then this boot might end up being legit...

Euro site claims it's a 120 flex, US site claims it's 110, I think it's a 100, max. The buckles seemed cool.

On a side note, I was surprised at how soft the Freedom SLs were. I think their rating of 120 is pushing it. I'm not sure why'd you go for a boot with that much bulk and weight over something like the RS or Vulcan, both of which are lighter and stiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Powdurr View Post

On a side note, I was surprised at how soft the Freedom SLs were. I think their rating of 120 is pushing it. I'm not sure why'd you go for a boot with that much bulk and weight over something like the RS or Vulcan, both of which are lighter and stiffer.
    Reserving judgment on the Spectres. The Freedom SLs felt softish (not soft) in store but on the snow --- wow! Bit stiffer than Maestrale RS - at least as stiff as say a Mercury but maybe less stiff than a Mobe. But flex quality was high - nice and progressive not abrupt like the Mobe And the walk mode is unreal. I can see why Scarpa patented it

Quote Originally Posted by Powdurr View Post
    I tried the Spectres on along with TLT6Ps, Vulcans, Freedom SLs, and Mastrale RSs. It is BY FAR the softest of the bunch. You can literally fold the tongue in half...compare that to the tongue on the TLT6 or Vulcan, both of which are pretty solid, and its easy to understand why this boot is so soft.
    This does show how subjective some of these things are. I tried them on side by side with a TLT6, a Solomon Quest 120 BC and a Scapra Freedom SL, and I felt like they were as stiff as any of them. I am used to skiing 130-150 flex race boots, and I did not feel like these were going to be so soft that they would ruin my day. I think the 110-120 flex is about right for how it felt on me.

Maybe our different findings were down to how they were tightened, if that makes such a drastic difference to the flex as was mentioned previously in this thread.

I've skied the freedom SLs and I agree with the above post that they are soft. I would compare them to the maestrales. With all that bulk, it does indeed seem like a failed concept. I usually ski on tecnica cochise pros as my go-to boot. I'm looking to get a lighter vertical-oriented boot for long days and fitness touring. I've skied a lot of boots and nothing has compared to the rideability of cochise pros. They do however suck at climbing and have as terrible walk mode/range of motion. I skied a few days on the maestrales and they seemed almost sufficient in terms of stiffness but would have liked something a bit more. If the Spectre can do that, I might just pick up a pair. If not, looks like I'll have to drop moar coin for some TLT6Ps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100592.jpg 
Views:	4082 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	145277
    cuff height comparison of a 28 Spectre and RS

Fedex is a pain in the ass. Got some Size 27. 1450g. Liner is 260g. More spew to follow

The flex of the boot does not come from the tongue but from the back rib. I have a pair and have skied them a few days, and they are definitely at 110 or above out on the mountain. Also, the magic of these boots is the lateral stiffness that is far above any of the boots you mentioned.

Got some time on my Spectras this weekend, more standing around then skiing unfortunately. It was -1F and they kept my feet pretty warm over 5 hours, so the liner is warm. Boot felt roomy in the right spots, no discomfort out of the box w/o molding. They also felt pretty stiff to me out on the snow, good enough to get the job done in the back country. They're also easy to get off the feet when the boot is a frozen block of plastic.. Not the most exciting obs I know, but a good start so far for me..
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

I tested them last year and they were likely pre-production because they were total noodles. Softest of everything I tested. Like durr I just cannot comprehend the flex tongue concept, the boot just folded at the rubber accordian. My take was that this boot strived to be a game changer but failed. So much potential, lots of adjustability, buckles clumsy but functional once set. Something with the whole instep curl-in and not enough tongue contour/width just made the whole overlap clumsy. I was surprised how the boot fit pretty well after how much it hurt my instep getting into. With the boots unbuckled I had the tongue catch on the instep while taking longer strides- hard to explain but weird. Light buckling solved the issue and toured better that way. As a disclaimer this is just not my kind of boot to begin with but the TLT6 which I feel is in the same category beat it hands down (I felt confident working that boot and it felt solid for how feathery it was). The Freedom SL won my test, most versatile one boot quiver for my intentions- banging the resort/sled skiing/ski mountaineering. That walk mode bides confidence. Those were unfortunately also pre-production models. I was very, very bummed to break them in half (literally) last week. They beefed up the spine of the upper cuff in the production models I hear!
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife

Why would anyone knowingly bother to post comments or a review on boots that never made production?

Can't see how it does anyone any favors.

To counter these soft claims–I'll post my early impressions.

I've got two days touring on them in terrible variable ice conditions around Chamonix. I'm someone who has always searched a stiffer boot for freeriding. I've been on every stiff touring boot that has come out the last few years including the freedom SL and the cochise 130s.

At first glance this boot seems soft. But it isn't. As has been mentioned, it is extremely laterally/torsionally stiff which is essential in providing control over a ski in variable conditions. Though the front/back stiffness is nothing on the level of the cochise 130s, when buckled correctly this boot feels as stiff – or at least skis as stiff – as the freedom sls. For my needs, this boot is intended for doing big vertical and mixed climbing but still needs to be something that can handle some airs and variable euro crud. It won't replace my cochises as my everyday boot but it certainly significantly more comfortable and walks like a dream. Not to mention it's about a pound lighter per foot. The liner is thick and warm and will provide a better experience than any non thermoform liners. I can also see how it would mod easily to increase stiffness if thats your cup of chai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    Why would anyone knowingly bother to post comments or a review on boots that never made production?

Can't see how it does anyone any favors.

Fwit, i could easily slip my foot in the preproduction spectra, but could not slip them in the final production ones. It might be related to the new liners. I would need fitting, exactly as lou dawson reported on wildsnow, in the same area of the boot.

I have two weeks in the Spectres and they don't feel soft when buckled. I didn't ski the preproduction models so I can't compare them. They are warm and comfortable (punched). Like anything they're not for everyone.

spectra are so easy to customise, the shell (thanks grilamid, I love this plastic, It's the future of skiboots) ,the liner on heaven, and you can remove the buckes you don't need (1 and 4 for
    me).
    also you can remove the foam under the liner, sandgrind it to choose the height you want on the shoe. or change for a polystyrčne one...
    Last edited by buenonda; 12-15-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Been skiing my TLT 6 recently in what I consider a "lwt alpine mode". Green tongue installed, no power strap, and I switched out parts of both buckles to make the boot more user friendly first and drop a gram or two on weight second. I am very pleased with the performance of the TLT6 set up this way even on a 116mm wide ski under foot while skiing lifts. The SIX is well up to the task.

Weight of the TLT 6 in a 29 shell as I am skiing it right now is 1480g with a full length Superfoot Cork foot bed installed. Add the Dynafit power strap and the two bolts need to attach the strap and you are up to 1520g.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100767.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	147051

IMO the La Sportiva Spectre is a step up on the TLT 6 P in skiing performance. Even if you add the black tongue and the Dynafit power strap and resort to the original buckles in terms of ski boot. The Spectre still has a leg up on the down. Certainly close to the SIX's in walk mode. And for my own technical climbing may be the Spectre is even a better climbing boot than the TLT6. Which is hard to fathom for me at the moment actually. And this from a guy who hates climbing in ski boots!

Weight of the Spectre in a 28 shell as I am skiing it right now is 1530g with a full length Superfoot Cork foot bed installed. Pull the front two buckles as I am wanting to use them as a climbing boot and you go under 1450g.

So many really good options these days for the skier who climbs or the climber who needs to ski. Nice to have boots that you can so easily mod to fit your next mission.

Can i get a gauge on the cuff height?

From the pic post #60 it looks like it is on the higher side but i never saw or tried a RS and i'd like to know if it's high enough that it cradles the calf muscle more like the Scarpa Freedom, or is it lowish and almost reaching the base of the calf like the Dalbello Sherpa 5/5 boots i have been carpet toying with?

Closer to the Freedom in height but a tighter fit on the calf for me. It is a pretty tall boot. Just a few mm or two shorter than a TLT6 on the liner and same height on the shell/tongue.

^sounds like they may be a good option if the crossover AT boots don't work out for me, thx.

Never bothered to take a comparison Spectre vs the Freedom but here's some data

In this Spectre is left, Maestrale RS is right

Freedom in middle. Maestrale RS on left

Freedom SL is basically a tiny bit higher but not by much

Thanks Lee, I had wondered. So the Spectre is a good bit taller than the Freedom. Thanks for the sxs. Thought for sure the Freedom was taller than the Maestrale RS. Guess you put that thought to rest.

Must be nice to be blessed with the sample size feet