Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggest a soft snow ski for the GF, wants to take it off piste.

I'm seeking suggestions from the collective; the GF would like to venture off the runs more frequently this winter and ditch the skinny skis. No budget for new boards, preferably something from recent years she can get the ball rolling with. She is 5-8, 150 lbs, a competent skier with a good foundation but not aggressive at all and skis on the slower side. She does have the will to get better at this though- venture into the trees, crud, etc. I'm thinking 95+ with some tip rocker? I'd like to keep things on the more versatile side, no pow-only tail rocker rigs please.

Thank you any and all for your suggestions.

Dynastar paradise. I got a set for my GF last season and she loves them. Same as slicer? Seems like an underrated ski. Build quality seems better that most other mas produced skis. Lots of options in the 98mm waist range. S3s have been available cheap lately too.

praxis mt. jibs
    b

K2 Gotbacks. Soft flex, tip rocker only, 102 at the waist, EZ skiing.

She's kind of big for the available ones here, but with coupon codes you can get 'em cheap.

My sister loves her Blizzard Crushes from a few years ago, and her runner up was the Nordica Nemesis. She said the Nemesis was turnier, if that makes sense

a friend is selling these skis, might be good for her...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I got my gf a pair of 2011-2012 Nordica Nemesis last year, and they instantly made her about 30% better vs the floppy hand me down skimo setup she was on for her first two seasons. She's very similar size, and the 169s have been working pretty well for her. Got a great deal on them from Sports Authority of all places...

Armada TSTw fits that description well. There should be some good deals on the last year model.

Atomic Century. Soft, light, forgiving, not too fat, tip rocker, no tail rocker. Has been a game changer for Mrs. Shin in the pow.
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"

Quote Originally Posted by Shin-to-Win View Post
    Atomic Century. Soft, light, forgiving, not too fat, tip rocker, no tail rocker. Has been a game changer for Mrs. Shin in the pow.
    Like he says...Mrs Spotted calls them her superman skis.
    "Dad, I can huck that"

Dynastar Paradise is a good bet you might be able to find them for cheap at evo ($302 169cm also 161) Also Blizzard Samba, good deal on STP (159 and 173 available) and they usually go for 45% extra with coupon I paid $300 on them for the wife and got $15 gift card back in the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Shin-to-Win View Post
    My GF has those and loves em.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Gonna need pictures of the girl to be sure, but, despite your prejudice (that's what it is!) against tail rocker, not much will beat this year's S series shapes for what you describe. Saffron looks great, though if it's a second ski, Savoury is not as much work as the 106mm would imply.

Buy her some snowshoes and go have fun skiing.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Definitely on the fatter side, but my girl loves the Nordica La Nina. She skis those and an Atomic Century as her inbounds low snow stick. But even with less snow she is opting more for the La Nina over the century. Tip and tail locker, but they can still arc a turn.

another vote for atomic century -- the wife loves them

Thank you all for the great ideas, much appreciated!

Since Sir Splat doesn't make a 167 Fat Bro... got the wife a pair of these: K2 Sidekicks... and the price didn't hurt either
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

My wife spent 2 years on the Atomic Century and really liked it, Last winter she skied the Line Pandora and LOVED it, She feels it's much more stable, you can charge harder on it, carved really well on groomers, and floated great in powder, after 2 days on the Pandora's she sold the centuries.

Wifey is in a similar boat, any thoughts on the Rossi S3W for a do-everything ski for Whistler? Seems like there are decent reviews and also killer deals on 2013/13 abound.

Good deals on last years Pandora as well, but it sounds a bit burlier? She is not a charger.

I picked up a used pair of Volkl Kiku's and my wife progressed very rapidly on those, coming from the Line Prophet Flite (90mm). I think a small amt of tail rocker really helped her bring the skis around and allowed more confidence in quick turns through tighter areas and bumps. The Century was another that I looked hard at, but couldn't find a good price at the time.

Might add the Blizzard Black Pearl to your list.

OK, thanks again everyone -found a great deal on some Dynastar Paradise's, anyone know if there are any differences in the last three model years other than top sheets? Other good ideas here too, but these are a good deal.

2012 163 praxis protest $299 right now on praxisskis.com. Just do it, don't overthink it. Super easy to ski. It will change her entire outlook on skiing pow/crud.

You're welcome.

VJJs just because the name is awesome
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care