Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2013/14 Vancouver Island. Anyone out there?

Let's do it right this season.

Went up to Washington Saturday - starting to fill in and get a solid base. Just spent a few hours skinning around and doing some beacon searches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131109_103345.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	1,012.0 KB 
ID:	144420
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131109_103733.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	805.6 KB 
ID:	144421
    Last edited by shafty85; 11-11-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I need to make my way there some time , those trees look like a lot of fun
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Cain is looking very similar, except parking lot, bottom area is still very thin. Curious to see what last night's storm brought.

still pretty thin, but you gotta start somewhere.

Kyle, we got a spare room if you ever do make it out this way.

Looking good, JC
    Last edited by shafty85; 11-17-2013 at 09:13 PM.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Skinned to Helen Mackenzie Lake today. Base is about half of what it was last weekend and made of icy, refrozen, mank. But, temps were good and our friends just to the south seem to have the goods so start burning skis and pray to Ullr that some comes our way.

Skinned up to the top of Mount Cain ski area last night. The bottom half still has lots of sticks poking through, made for an interesting descent. The top half (above the first t-bar) was glorious! Llots of powder above. We need another good dump to make things right. Full moon was out lighting the area. It was awesome.

Glad to hear there is snow somewhere - the forecast is looking mighty grim right now. I'm away this weekend (Fernie ) but may have to head to the mainland next weekend if I hope to get any turns in.
    Last edited by shafty85; 11-20-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Skinned up to the top of Mount Cain ski area last night. The bottom half still has lots of sticks poking through, made for an interesting descent. The top half (above the first t-bar) was glorious! Llots of powder above. We need another good dump to make things right. Full moon was out lighting the area. It was awesome.
    right on, i'm surprised there was any decent snow up there. probably would have made the trip if i'd known, can feel the desperation seeping in...

Glad to hear there is snow somewhere - the forecast is looking mighty grim right now. I'm away this weekend (Fernie ) but may have to head to the mainland next weekend if I hope to get any turns in.
    this is dedication ^^^ can't say the thought hadn't crossed my mind either.

ugh, gonna be warm in the alpine for awhile around here...

I am really hoping the alpine forecast is dead wrong. It doesnt correlate well with the forecast down at sea level, which is showing normal temperatures for this time of year...

I was hoping that after the last storm there would be skiiable snow on higher ground and it panned out! By the way, i am looking for touring partners if anyone is interested in doing a night run during the week at Mt. Cain or another accessable North Island area.

why is everyone so obsessed with cain? It's nice up that way but the south island needs some love. I've got more then a few lines between lake cowichan and arrowsmith picked out.

Quote Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
    this is dedication ^^^ can't say the thought hadn't crossed my mind either.

ugh, gonna be warm in the alpine for awhile around here...
    Heading there for work, but fortunate enough to be staying an extra day so should get an afternoon and a day of skiing in - couldn't afford to do it on my own $.

Quote Originally Posted by jonashka View Post
    I am really hoping the alpine forecast is dead wrong. It doesnt correlate well with the forecast down at sea level, which is showing normal temperatures for this time of year...
    By the way, i am looking for touring partners if anyone is interested in doing a night run during the week at Mt. Cain or another accessable North Island area.
    Yeah - everywhere seems to be calling for inversion (some more extreme than others). Hopefully they are wrong. I'm down in Nanny-moo so Cain isn't a night option for me

Quote Originally Posted by raym View Post
    why is everyone so obsessed with cain? It's nice up that way but the south island needs some love. I've got more then a few lines between lake cowichan and arrowsmith picked out.
    I'm guessing it has to do with access. I've only been here for a season and haven't been to Cain but I learned last year that, on the island here, access here is a bitch. If those lines ever fill in this season, consider me interested.

Arowsmith Definetly has some great lines on it! I would love to do a weekend trip in the area. At the moment, I'm based out of Port McNeill so Mt Cain is the best access to island alpine during the week. I'm in Bowser on the weekends, so let me know if anyone is up for a weekend trip.
    The setting around Mt Cain is absolutely stuning though and it does precipitate mire in the north with colder temperatures.
    Too bad we lack a backcountry hut on the island. Imagine kicking your ski boots off by the stove in the alpine...

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jonashka View Post
    Arowsmith Definetly has some great lines on it! I would love to do a weekend trip in the area. At the moment, I'm based out of Port McNeill so Mt Cain is the best access to island alpine during the week. I'm in Bowser on the weekends, so let me know if anyone is up for a weekend trip.
    The setting around Mt Cain is absolutely stuning though and it does precipitate mire in the north with colder temperatures.
    Too bad we lack a backcountry hut on the island. Imagine kicking your ski boots off by the stove in the alpine...

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using TGR Forums
    have you been up cain recently? is the base surviving this inversion?

looks like a bit of snow this weekend up there, wondering if it's worth the drive to scrounge a few turns...

thanks

have you been up cain recently? is the base surviving this inversion?

looks like a bit of snow this weekend up there, wondering if it's worth the drive to scrounge a few turns...

thanks
    If you wind up heading up there this weekend, let me know. The gf and I might wind up in the Whistler area, but if not we'd definitely be down to check out Cain. If the predicted temps hold, and the precip comes, I'd be shocked if there was anything left on the hills. BUT, if the temps fall just a couple degrees we could be in for a white weekend (temps and visibility-wise)! Hopefully the temps work in our favour.

I was at Cain for the last few days. Terrible, plus 8, dripped all night. Ground is showing again at lodge elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Metal View Post
    I was at Cain for the last few days. Terrible, plus 8, dripped all night. Ground is showing again at lodge elevation.
    did you check out the top half of the mountain? is there enough of a base to safely ski on after the next dump?

thanks

I didn't climb at all this time, but last week before the big melt it was skiable. I wouldn't use your favourite skis though.

I would say make the decision to go to Cain closer to the weekend. You will likely need to hike the bottom to get to the middle. Up above, there should still be good snow and hopefully it starts dumping overnight now.

Just moved to island at the beginning of November, and I have sometime off between this Saturday and when Washington opens. I was thinking about spending some time up at Mount Cain exploring and camping. If anyone going up this weekend or the next couple of days could report on the conditions it would be greatly appreciated.
    SROAM 2014

Looks like we'll head up to Cain this weekend - not because it looks like it'll be good, but more because nowhere looks good enough for the effort. Will report back. If anyone else is heading up, let me know.

fyi, you'll likely have no cell past cr and of course none up on the hill.

fyi, you'll likely have no cell past cr and of course none up on the hill.
    Cell is achievable if you hike up to the golf clubs and stand on your head holding it just so...
    Sayward has some spotty reception as well.
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Looks like we'll head up to Cain this weekend - not because it looks like it'll be good, but more because nowhere looks good enough for the effort. Will report back. If anyone else is heading up, let me know.
    so, how wet was it?

I'm sure no one just hangs out at mt cain... but would you guys say there is something there even if just one turn.... or am I better off just knowing I have to pay the ferry this weekend,
    on that note, anyone skiing anywhere on the island? or keen to car-up for the mainland?