Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbyfiliatreault View Post
    I'm sure no one just hangs out at mt cain... but would you guys say there is something there even if just one turn.... or am I better off just knowing I have to pay the ferry this weekend,
    on that note, anyone skiing anywhere on the island? or keen to car-up for the mainland?
    head on over to Cumby and go for a rip on Thirsty Beaver? Probably as deep as anywhere on the island right now
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Just checking in... I am in Nanaimo and usually ski on the mainland, but am up for carpools to Cain or other touring. Anyone else in Nanaimo?

not van island related at all, but ^^ PM me when you're on the mainland. I'm in van mid-jan til end of march. will be skiing a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by eknomf View Post
    Just checking in... I am in Nanaimo and usually ski on the mainland, but am up for carpools to Cain or other touring. Anyone else in Nanaimo?
    I'm in Nanny-moo, awaiting snow.

Some stoke from a trip to Roger's Pass (as there is none to be found around here, yet) last weekend with Capow. Can't say enough how awesome it was. The guides (Marty, Chris, Greg and Kevin) were amazing. So much fun. None of the photos are of me (thankfully, you can't see my terrible skiing) but it was GOOD skiing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131214_095421.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	684.0 KB 
ID:	146932

Name:	20131214_111206.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	746.9 KB 
ID:	146933

Name:	20131214_124955.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	534.4 KB 
ID:	146934

Name:	20131214_151407.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	575.6 KB 
ID:	146935

Name:	20131214_151539.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	146936

Name:	20131214_151635.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	146937

Name:	20131214_151641.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	294.9 KB 
ID:	146938

Name:	20131214_151716.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	606.4 KB 
ID:	146939
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Way to get after it, Rogers is on my short list...
    Lets hope thats the last of the non-island stoke in this thread tho.
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Stoked to be spending my first Christmas at home in BC. Heading to the Island to celebrate with family. Skibrain and I were hoping to ski Mt Washing to over the holiday ... no packing ski gear for us

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Stoked to be spending my first Christmas at home in BC. Heading to the Island to celebrate with family. Skibrain and I were hoping to ski Mt Washing to over the holiday ... no packing ski gear for us
    Yeah. It's a tough start to the season out here. On the bright side - back to the interior for me this week!
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Anyone have any information regarding snow depth at Cain? Their website, updated New Years Eve, claims 60cm but it has said that for a couple weeks now. Looking to get up there this weekend for some exercise skinning and grab some turns.

Rogers Pass was DEEP the past few days! (I'll post a couple pics once home)

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Anyone have any information regarding snow depth at Cain? Their website, updated New Years Eve, claims 60cm but it has said that for a couple weeks now. Looking to get up there this weekend for some exercise skinning and grab some turns.

Rogers Pass was DEEP the past few days! (I'll post a couple pics once home)
    Not much snow. 6 inches fresh yesterday up high. About 6 inches total in parking lot. Coverage is pretty good from top of first t bar up. A couple feet up there. Actually got some pow turns in.

Sweet - thanks for the info. How were the winds? Strong here in Nanny-moo and moderate with strong gusts at Washington.

Looking forward to it - we're heading up first thing in the morning. If you're up there again, ask for change for a nickel

Didn't go up today, but yesterday was minimal wind at base and some stronger gusts up top.

Finally, some stoke from the island.

Name:	DSC_0405.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	352.6 KB 
ID:	147906

Name:	DSC_0422.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	459.8 KB 
ID:	147907

Name:	DSC_0416.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	914.2 KB 
ID:	147908

Name:	DSC_0426.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	522.0 KB 
ID:	147909

Name:	DSC_0435.JPG 
Views:	423 
Size:	442.1 KB 
ID:	147910

Snow is in the forecast, looking like it will be good again next weekend.

Good to see winterlike conditions at the top of Cain. How was the approach from parking lot to mid mountain?

Good. Skin up from parking lot - no hiking required. Skiing down, take the route created by the snowmobiles - too much exposed brush down most runs to bother trying to ski it.

The snowpack is definitely not ideal. ~8cm wind slab on 12cm of powder on top of an IMPENETRABLE 3cm rain crust with multiple rain crusts under that. Total snowpack depth at top of tbars is 95cm. The rain crusts could create some interesting backcountry issues as we get more snow, though I'd love to have been on the snow today to see what the warm temps did for the bond. Anyway, be careful as the snowpack gets loaded up later this week.

potential for a bunch of snow this week/weekend, some tough choices based on wx and that snowpack description above...

anyone been up cokely or other southern island areas? i have a feeling the north has a deeper pack, and will likely receive more snow in this system too...

ETA: good info shafty, thanks.
    Last edited by BCJC; 01-06-2014 at 12:57 PM.

North island definitely has a deeper base currently. I am trying to decide what to do with the weekend as well. I suspect Washington will push to open, which may require me putting in some patrol days depending on what the rest of my month looks like. I'd like to stay away from the hill and get some more turns in away from the crowds, though. Cokely has been shrouded in cloud/fog/darkness every time I've driven by the past few weeks, but I suspect the lower elevation will have a shallow snowpack that may not be skiable (depends how much this storm brings). Keep in touch what your plans are and maybe we can meet up around there.

A reminder the Bulletin Party is this Saturday in Cumberland. The gf, a friend and I will be there - anyone else? We'll see what this system brings and base our weekend on that, keeping in mind we have be at the party Saturday night.

you have any info re washington opening?

i'm considering letting this storm cycle through past the weekend, then seeing what's up, and getting after it somewhere mid week after it's settled and the sun is out. that being said, i might just drive up to cain last minute fri night...

No info/knowledge re: washington - just a guess if the snow actually comes as forecast. I'm guessing they need $$$ bad and will make a push to get at least a few runs open and get the lifts turning.

Let us know if you head up to Cain - we might be interested. Looks like the faucet is being turned on there for the weekend.

Was up in the mountains around lake cowichan last weekend, shold have been in well over 6' of snow where I was but didnt even find any frost, still lots of dry wood up where I was. Looking accross the lake to whymper/landale area and they seemed pretty bare.

yeah, arrowsmith is a bare, low tidey, crusty place right now...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1150153.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	909.8 KB 
ID:	149099  

Quote Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
    yeah, arrowsmith is a bare, low tidey, crusty place right now...

that makes me sad

http://50shadesofvan.com/

Heres hoping we can salvage some winter...

Well, that makes sense. I'm off for a week in the Pass and the Rockies. Makes sense it would snow here. Stoked to come back to it, though!

Yeah, it would have to be a dump of biblical proportions to create a skiable base here...

BUT, I'll be keeping my eye on it!

Hope it warms up a bit for you by then Shafty cause its way to fuckin cold for a west coast boy here in Fernie..