Tech-toe touring boot for a wide foot... advice?

Made the switch to Dynafit this season so I'm looking for new boots (I'll also be riding them w/ Barons, and if alpine soles are available that would be nice). I've got a wide last and not much of an ankle (my calf muscle goes down pretty far ), normally wear a 25.5.

Looking for something that's not super high end or stiff, but a good comfy touring boot that will get me started. Weight isn't a huge concern I guess, but lighter is always nice. I'm pretty light (150lbs) and like to ski hard but I'm also into a more forgiving boot and I'm usually not doing anything too gnar while touring... Haven't ridden anything stiffer than 110.

I've been looking at the Black Diamond Slant/Prime (I like the 3 buckle, especially with my wide foot, less pressure points) and also found a decent deal on some Dynafit ZZero 4 PX-TF's... Anyone with a wider foot riding these or something similar who can point me in the right direction or give me some advice on what to look at?

Black Diamond boots pre-2013/2014 will probably be a good match for a wide/high volume foot. BD changed their last this year; the successor in terms of fit is the Atomic Waymaker line - check out the Waymaker 110 Tour.

Scarpa Mobe. More of a sidecountry, short tour boot but they seem to have a wide toe box.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Scarpa Mobe. More of a sidecountry, short tour boot but they seem to have a wide toe box.
    I have a EE width foot and the current BD Quadrant works for me. I tried the Factor's first, no way.

Titan seemed pretty wide to me. 102mm last I think.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using TGR Forums

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Technica cochise. 3 buckle low hight on calf. Tech and alpine interchangeable sol's

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums

ya, cochise is a VERY wide 100mm shape in the toes, replacable soles, and fits cankles well

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    ya, cochise is a VERY wide 100mm shape in the toes, replacable soles, and fits cankles well
    100 mm is not wide, 102, 103 are wide.

Thanks for the advice... Tried on the cochise last week at my local shop (they don't have a great selection of touring boots) and they felt pretty good... still some significant pressure on the outside of my foot, although with proper fitting it could be punched out a bit. Another shop in town sells a few Dynafit models so I'll have to check those out. Right now I want to spend less than $400, theres some decent options on STP w/ coupon codes and gearx...

I need to find a shop that sells BD boots around me since I keep hearing they fit wide and I also like the lace-up liner, 3 buckle, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    - wide last and not much of an ankle (my calf muscle goes down pretty far ), normally wear a 25.5.

Looking for something that's not super high end or stiff, but a good comfy touring boot that will get me started. Weight isn't a huge concern I guess, but lighter is always nice. I'm pretty light (150lbs) and like to ski hard but I'm also into a more forgiving boot and I'm usually not doing anything too gnar while touring... Haven't ridden anything stiffer than 110.

- looking at the Black Diamond Slant/Prime (I like the 3 buckle, especially with my wide foot, less pressure points) -
    I tried the Prime when it first hit the market, ankle, heel, instep is very wide/lots of volume, much to much for me. Also tried the first generation Salomon Quest boots, they too where stupid wide everywhere along with a toe shape that was to (football like) rounded for me. Can't say how the latest generation's fit, i have read that the 2013/14's will have a tech sole option. Other then that based on what i tried, i'd say give the Atomic and possibly the 100mm last K2 a shot, both had to much ankle/instep volume foe me so may work for you.

I'm currently walking around the house in the Dalbello Sherpa 5/5. Wide around the metatarsal and narrower/less volume at the heel/ankle/instep which won't work for you if i'm reading you correct and you have cankles ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cankles ). For me the 5/5's arch hugs my foot like no other, something i really like, its the way a good fitting speed skate fits and where the control comes from. My only complaint is that the big toe area while wide enough for me at the metatarsal, angles inward from there putting some pressure along the entire length of my big toe causing it to angle slightly inward, enough to be bothered about how it'll pan out with use. Not so bad when i do a deep knee bend, but i never subscribed to that theory of boot fit as it hasn't worked for me in the past. Will try a few other boots before deciding, may even wait it out another year or two and see what comes next.
    Last edited by neonorchid; 11-10-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Just got a pair of Dalbello virus. Do not have numbers to back it up but the toe box seems roomy to me. I need a roomy toe box as well and I am liking the Dalbello only been out on them once admittedly. You could get your chosen boot blown out as well. Narrow boots are not the end of the world.

The Tecnica Agent BC120 is massive inside.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Just got a pair of Dalbello virus. Do not have numbers to back it up but the toe box seems roomy to me. I need a roomy toe box as well and I am liking the Dalbello only been out on them once admittedly. You could get your chosen boot blown out as well. Narrow boots are not the end of the world.
    Sherpa is listed as a 100 width, i don't think the last changed from the Virus.
    I'm leery about a modification changing a triangular shaped side (top down profile) to more of a rectangular one, i.e., going from \_/ to |_/ starting from the metatarsal to the tip of the toe. It would require reshaping the profile, not just a simple punch to make room for someones bunion.

Original Salomon quests may work, wide-ish around 101-102. Don't come stock with tech soles but you can buy them aftermarket (don't think they're super popular with the TGR community though). The quest max may work too, but you'd probably have to pad your liners when you form the shells.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I have a EE width foot and the current BD Quadrant works for me. I tried the Factor's first, no way.
    2nd this @ the quadrants! with a molded liner. dynafits are too narrow across the board.
    b

I've got a wide last and not much of an ankle (my calf muscle goes down pretty far ), normally wear a 25.5.

Looking for something that's not super high end or stiff, but a good comfy touring boot that will get me started. Weight isn't a huge concern I guess, but lighter is always nice.

I've been looking at the Black Diamond Slant/Prime (I like the 3 buckle, especially with my wide foot, less pressure points)
    Yeah, BD's are probably your best bet. I've been scouring the boot offerings for something that fits my franken-feet, and BD's mold sounds right up your alley, if it's consistent across their line. True to measured last (which is VERY generous), narrow heel pocket. Slant and Prime are also probably your best bet for finding solid deals on, but don't discount the Quadrant: probably not a true 120 flex, actually somewhat softer. 4 buckle, but very comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Yeah, BD's are probably your best bet. I've been scouring the boot offerings for something that fits my franken-feet, and BD's mold sounds right up your alley, if it's consistent across their line. True to measured last (which is VERY generous), narrow heel pocket. Slant and Prime are also probably your best bet for finding solid deals on, but don't discount the Quadrant: probably not a true 120 flex, actually somewhat softer. 4 buckle, but very comfy.
    I also like the BOA on the Quadrants versus the laces.

Thanks for all the replies, narrowing it down and going to find a place that sells BD so I can try those on or just order from Gearx which has some good deals on the quadrants, slants, primes all under $400 and return whatever doesn't fit best.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I also like the BOA on the Quadrants versus the laces.
    The BOA has always kinda sketched me out since it seems like the wire can just snap and the tightening wheel always came across as not very durable. Any issues with yours? Any reason why you like the BOA over the the other lace up system?

Scarpa's Mobe is a nicer boot than any BD, IMO, though it's walk mode is only OK. And just as wide, if not wider. On sale at STP, get a coupon, try, return or keep.

Doesn't have changeable soles though.

4th'd on quadrants - def more volume in there to play with and good touring boot. Put a lot of miles on mine before they got kicked to the side by vulcans.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

I have the old green/yellow quandrants and they fit my fat feet pretty well without any major work. They were a little snug in the instep with the stock liners so I put some intutions in there and so far so good. They don't ski like an alpine boot IMO, definitely not too stiff. Still figuring out how to drive them softly.
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"

Thanks for all the replies, narrowing it down and going to find a place that sells BD so I can try those on or just order from Gearx which has some good deals on the quadrants, slants, primes all under $400 and return whatever doesn't fit best.

The BOA has always kinda sketched me out since it seems like the wire can just snap and the tightening wheel always came across as not very durable. Any issues with yours? Any reason why you like the BOA over the the other lace up system?
    I just find the BOA gives a smoother closure without the laces bunching up, I have not had a problem with the wires. The Quadrant does not have interchangable din sole blocks if you wanted to use them for Alpine set ups.

I'll add another vote for BD's. I'm splitboarding in the Prime even though the boot du jour in the split community is the TLT5. I really wanted TLT5s to fit me and even picked up a used pair and went to talk to a boot fitter who told me "no way". The Primes fit well with just a liner molding. They're actually more comfortable for walking downhill than my mountaineering boots! My feet are wide enough that I should have taken up swimming.

Thanks for all the advice and info!

Ended up ordering a pair of Black Diamond Prime boots for $199 shipped from Allspeed. They should arrive early next week.

There was a good deal on the Quadrants on STP but they didn't have my size in stock. Allspeed ended up being $100 cheaper than anywhere else I could find new Primes and they only had 2 in stock when I ordered, so I pulled the trigger before they were snatched up.