Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 34 of 34
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denver/SoCal
    Posts
    467
    Hard to think of a field that is a worse match for your first criterion (enjoyable stress-free life) than banking. Also makes it hard to enjoy your hobbies, since most likely you end up in NYC. I do know some folks who made it work in LA, SF, Denver - where at least in theory you have access to decent skiing, but you'll have no time as an associate to actually partake. Maybe down the road you would, and it would help you pay off your student loans for sure, maybe buy a ski house you visit once a year. What kind of school are you graduating from and with what kind of grades?

    If you enjoy finance I say fuck being a financial advisor - seems like you realize that's a sales job and not finance. There are a million real finance jobs on the spectrum between being an FA and being a banker, I don't think you need to jump from one end of the spectrum to the other.
    Last edited by HellgateBasement; 01-04-2021 at 01:40 PM.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    12,085
    Small biz.
    Understanding money and numbers helps.

    Look for local biz run by old farts ready to retire.
    Hope to breathe new life into it.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

    “I got the degree of Stamp-licker from the Bezuzus Mail-order University”
    Babbitt, by Sinclair Lewis

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,040
    Quote Originally Posted by old mexico View Post
    not sure if this thread is dead but id like to revive it if possible and hear from OP. Find myself in a similar position, graduating with my finance major in May and with the current situation my job search has been very quiet. Not sure if I should deviate from my investment banking focus and move into sales or financial advisor positions that are more common, or even just try taking any position within a company I like or in an area id want to live and allow me to partake in my hobbies. big motivator is having an enjoyable/stress-free life and paying off my student loans. sorry if im breaking some rule about posting in old threads, but then again I wouldn't give one if I could find a fuck
    It sounds like you probably want a corporate finance role at some big company. It's not slimy sales, it's not the iBanking pressure cooker. The path to grabbing the brass ring isn't as clear as it would be in banking, but the money is fine.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denver/SoCal
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    It sounds like you probably want a corporate finance role at some big company. It's not slimy sales, it's not the iBanking pressure cooker. The path to grabbing the brass ring isn't as clear as it would be in banking, but the money is fine.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    This was my first thought as well. An FP&A role at a big corporate would provide most of what the OP is looking for - solid pay and career progression, flexibility on location and not completely soul crushing (depending on company) so you could actually enjoy your life. The skills are pretty portable between industries and there's even a vague path from FP&A to corp. dev. if you feel you were just born to do M&A.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    8,552
    Quote Originally Posted by old mexico View Post
    Not sure if I should deviate from my investment banking focus and move into sales or financial advisor positions that are more common, or even just try taking any position within a company I like or in an area id want to live and allow me to partake in my hobbies. big motivator is having an enjoyable/stress-free life and paying off my student loans. sorry if im breaking some rule about posting in old threads, but then again I wouldn't give one if I could find a fuck
    Maybe things have changed in the last few years but, investment banking is the worst career choice ever for an “enjoyable/stress free life”.

    Almost anything in finance or accounting is going to require you to “pay your dues” for a while before you can develop enough skill / value to get a cushy position.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    6,283
    I got a finance degree way back in the late 80's/early 90's and was pretty much in the same boat with regards to what I wanted (low stress/enjoyable life), so I abandoned finance and got into IT.

    Not saying it will work for you... but it sure did work for me.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    2,930

    Accounting Kid Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Small biz.
    Understanding money and numbers helps.

    Look for local biz run by old farts ready to retire.
    Hope to breathe new life into it.
    This. Or a business where finance and accounting are core to the business but not the business itself, like small financial services firms. Frequently these and other small businesses find themselves dependent on finance and accounting without having a functional knowledge of either, and you’ll be godlike dispensing heady nuggets of GAAP without any effort.

    Having worked as the lead of the finance and accounting functions of smaller orgs (between 40 and 130 employees) the last decade or so, the actual finance and accounting were my least favorite parts of the job, which was fine, I was able to focus on team building and contributing positively across the organization.

    It seems that work life balance and “interesting” are often (not always) at odds with each other... have a good feeling for how important each is to YOU.

    Consider developing other skills such that your technical skills and knowledge in finance and accounting augment what you actually do, like management or lending or sales or risk management. A sales manager or lender who truly understands the numbers and how the accounting works can quickly set themselves apart.

    Or adjust your green visor and embrace the rote nature of accounting for what it is. Different strokes and all.
    focus.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    2,930

    Accounting Kid Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I got a finance degree way back in the late 80's/early 90's and was pretty much in the same boat with regards to what I wanted (low stress/enjoyable life), so I abandoned finance and got into IT.

    Not saying it will work for you... but it sure did work for me.
    Right. Or an IT leader who understands capitalization and opex ratios and budgeting? Winning. That’s when you’re able to work into strategic roles (read: interesting). Just acquired an org that had excess liquidity and a minimal fixed asset ratio who was leasing all their copiers and printers because the IT guys who made the call didn’t understand how the numbers actually worked and nobody dug into it. Minor enough, but five figures worth of wasted bullshit there alone.
    focus.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by old mexico View Post
    not sure if this thread is dead but id like to revive it if possible and hear from OP. Find myself in a similar position, graduating with my finance major in May and with the current situation my job search has been very quiet. Not sure if I should deviate from my investment banking focus and move into sales or financial advisor positions that are more common, or even just try taking any position within a company I like or in an area id want to live and allow me to partake in my hobbies. big motivator is having an enjoyable/stress-free life and paying off my student loans. sorry if im breaking some rule about posting in old threads, but then again I wouldn't give one if I could find a fuck
    Hey man, I started this thread 7 years ago. Time flies!

    A few months later I moved to a small ski town in Colorado and worked for a country club as a staff accountant, which really got me into the details and gave me a baseline knowledge to grow upon. After a few years I moved onto a senior role at one of the smaller ski resort holding companies with a bigger team and more going on (multiple entities, currencies, M&A integrations, continuous improvement projects). Spent a few years there and also studied for a year and got my CPA license. I was ready to chew off more when a smaller sporting goods company needed some help turning around their accounting function. So I jumped at that opportunity a few years ago. The progression at my current company is peaking, so its about time for something new.

    Looking back, I would make sure your first real job out of school is with a great boss/coach who can help you progress your career & skills. Just always be asking for more/learning/trying to make your bosses job easier. I've always tried to mix my passions with the businesses I've worked for, but I'm not sure if that's essential. But it does provide you with colleagues that you relate to and a bunch of good friends. Good luck with your search. Where are you located?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •