Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Robot vacuums?

Robot vacuums?

Anyone have one of these robot vacuums? Mrs Cruiser has been talking about getting one for a while but I can't say that I have heard much real feedback on them. Do they actually do a decent job of picking stuff up on wood floors? Carpet?

Lay some wisdom on me.

[IMG] http://www.appliancesonlineblog.com....he-Jetsons.jpg[IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TGR Forums
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I've had a roomba for 4-5 years now. Battery life is way shorter than when I bought it and it doesn't find the dock anymore, but still cleans. Doesn't do a good job on carpet, does a good job on hard floors. Realize you will have to do a take a part clean every couple months. If you hate sweeping, this thing is tits. Floors are always walk around barefoot clean ay the touh of a button.

It picks up short dog hair really well. Long people hair will eventually get bound up in the gears. My old roommate had long thick black hair and that stuff would jam it up good.

We also have a roomba. Works great. Battery just died after years but a replacement is in the way.

How does it do with dog and cat hair on wood floors?

or suck on offensive line
    hawks line needs the crap sucked out of it.
    b

Handles pet hair great. We have a dog and cat and the entire house is hardwood aside from be master bed. Like mentioned above you will have to clean it out now and then. Just turn it on when you leave and when you come back the floors clean.

We have a Neato. It was available from Costco, so bomber warranty.

It works well, but battery life is pathetic. Compared with Roombas I've had in the past, it seems to be a little smarter. It won't run into shit constantly and follows a logical back-and-forth pattern rather than the drunken wanderings of the Roomba.

Overall I'd get another one, but if your room is huge or complex you'll curse the shitty battery life.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Neato ftw. Ive got softish wood floors, rug and lotsa cat hair... It does a great job. Doesnt scratch, scans the room and plans a course, not random. Its disturbing how much is picks up from a floor that looks clean

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    or suck on offensive line
    hawks line needs the crap sucked out of it.
    b
    I think you need a stronger vacuum than a Roomba / Neato for that. Might want to start with the big 5 hp shop vac?

Kinda surprised to hear such uniformly positive reviews. I thought these things were mostly a gimmick, although a fairly expensive one considering that they seem to cost as much as our Dyson. Thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TGR Forums
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I have hardwood that have sills separating some spaces, will it navigate over those?
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Funny story; Friend was given a Roomba. He also has a large and very cool dog named Teddy.

Well Teddy got into something bad and had the shits. The Roomba did and excellent job of distributing the brown liquid matter over the entire house.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Funny story; Friend was given a Roomba. He also has a large and very cool dog named Teddy.

Well Teddy got into something bad and had the shits. The Roomba did and excellent job of distributing the brown liquid matter over the entire house.
    Lmfao. Christ I feel like a asshole for laughing so hard.

You have to roomba proof the house before setting it off on its adventure.

We had these long drawstrings on the blinds that the little fucker would always be caught up in.

Watch out for the Roomba Sharks.

Roomba's aren't a replacement for regular cleaning, but they are great at keeping dust levels down esp with hardwood floors. They can go under and around furniture, places where your vacuum or mop can't reach. Usually do a dry mop and then Roomba, then wet mop, then a bunch of roomba cycles in between over the week(s)

As mentioned before, they don't like stringy thing, socks, cords or other random stuff lying around.

They require some maintenance; replacing filters, cleaning brushes etc. but it's totally worth it for the effort you save.

I've owned a couple over the years; the newer models are a lot easier to clean, and have better battery life as well.

Costco sells the pet series at a considerable discount to what you can get online.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post

Same thing happened to my sister, it was the end of the Roomba in that household.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    I have hardwood that have sills separating some spaces, will it navigate over those?
    how high are they? I've a neato and it can raise itself up to deal with some level of barrier - maybe a bit over 1/2 an inch? too much higher and it sees it as an obstacle.
    Another pro for the neato is it's got brushes which helps the clean up. and yeah it hates cables on the floor

Costco sells the pet series at a considerable discount to what you can get online.
    We just picked this up this weekend from my local Costco rental depot. I'm still a bit skeptical, but so far it's 4/4 in filling itself full of dirt and dog fur within an hour of setting off. And this was in a fairly clean house to begin with.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

So they do a pretty good job with navigating couches, chairs, tables, etc? I have a big living/dining area that is wood floors and now filled with quite a bit of furniture. My and my roommate's dog would probably chase it though. Can you make them go on at, like, 2am when we're asleep, or at least the dogs are locked in our rooms?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Watch out for the Roomba Sharks.

I was going to post that! I want that cat!
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    So they do a pretty good job with navigating couches, chairs, tables, etc? I have a big living/dining area that is wood floors and now filled with quite a bit of furniture. My and my roommate's dog would probably chase it though. Can you make them go on at, like, 2am when we're asleep, or at least the dogs are locked in our rooms?
    yeah my neato does a great job of dodging stuff whilst clean up pretty close to the said objects, helps that it can fit under the couch too. We figured that we would run it in the dead of the night but the reality is that they do make a fair bit of noise, so we just run it when we go out.

Looking for Christmas gifts for the wife and I've kinda fixated on one of these. Have they improved over the years? Our house is pretty hectic and our shit is typically in a state of non-cleanliness. The wife thinks these are a waste of money and thinks it won't do the job around our typical laying about of stuff.

Myself, I'm fine with a robot cleaning overlord no matter how efficient. Thoughts?

You have to clean up the floor so that the roomba can clean up the floor

Sometimes she forgets where home base is or gets into a repetitive pattern in a corner or under a sofa

Better for minimalists with clear floors with few impediments

And the minimalists will still have to perform regular maintenance to un-fur the brushes of lint & pet hair