Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How you use a Power strap and boot fitting?

Spent the day at a instructor's clinic. One of the 'drills" we did was putting on your boots. It went like this: Slide the boot on. Buckle the two lower buckles. Push the tongue down into the boot until you feel its pressure on the top of your foot/ankle. Then wrap the power strap around the inner boot and tongue ...keeping it completely inside the shell. ("if you can't do this you'll eventually want a different boot") "Powerstap is there to eliminate any movement between your shin and the inner boot tongue". Flex the boot several times driving the tongue against your foot and forcing your heel back into the boot. Once satisfied buckle the top two buckles of your boot. And you are good to go.

Shell fit? Less than a finger extra in shell length. Punch, grind and mold until your entire foot is held with the same pressure and movement as a firm, but shy of a painful hand shake.

Discuss/comment?

Damn I've been doing it all wrong. Booster strap on the INSIDE. Got it. Those clinicians no all the secrets.

Booster inside the shell is money.

I like to pour epoxy in my boot after I do my bottom buckles.

if you need a tighter fit on the top of your boot, this is a good option (chicken legs) but like everything in life, this is not the right answer for everyone.

try it and see if it works for YOU.

Over the inner boot tongue and inside the shell is what they were designed for, but with a 3-piece shell they need to go on the outside or the shell does not function correctly. Used Booster Straps for years with my Kryptons and they were money.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    Spent the day at a instructor's clinic. One of the 'drills" we did was putting on your boots.
    Damn, that's a lot to cover in a day.

When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Depends on the "feel" you like and the circumference of your calf at boot top. Using the booster outside the shell in both two and three piece shells enhances stiffness, inside gives a more progressive feel and is a partial solution for thin lower legs. I run my alpine straps outside, my touring boots inside - big calves, but putting the strap behind the tongues in newer Dynafit boots lets me leave it in place and just flip the lever when transitioning.

Sub one finger shell fit is fine for the clinicians, but sometimes not so much for their students.

IME, the Level III guys are often not the best skiers on the hill.

Why do ski schoolers feel the need to reinvent an already tried and true aspect of skiing each new season?
    This is getting silly.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

All I know is that the boots I've owned are stiffer with the powerstrap on the outside. You wouldn't be able to get me to switch even if you paid me. The only thing I get is less power and responsiveness.

Or you can double up. A knowledgeable bootfitter showed me this trick last winter:

(Unfortunately I don't have a pic handy)

Booster strap as described above, securing boot tongue to back of shell;

Secondary (stock) strap around the whole shell.

Works great! Especially for my chicken legs. Cheap "upgrade" and worth trying out.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    IME, the Level III guys are often not the best skiers on the hill.
    How do you know a PSIA Level III is in the room? They'll tell you. How many Level III's does it take to change a light bulb? 7. One to do it and 6 others to critique the turns. I'm sure those guys like what they do but man, they suck the fun out of skiing for me. Find what makes your boot feel good and ride it.

One of the 'drills" we did was putting on your boots.
    Did you ask for a refund?

Should have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Did you ask for a refund?

Should have.
    Oh dear. Now you'll stir up the TGR shop drones. Acting all entitled and shit those customers are again.

Headlines: PSIA level two instructor tears ACL during "putting on ski boot" drill

Uphill arms back, hip below the knee...

I buckle top down. I must not know what I'm doing, time to start instructing again.

Really though, bucking from the bottom up gets my toes all jammed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    All I know is that the boots I've owned are stiffer with the powerstrap on the outside. You wouldn't be able to get me to switch even if you paid me. The only thing I get is less power and responsiveness.
    Agree totally.

GregL? I don't know why or how anyone would put the power strap inside a TLT/ONE/Mercury? No question it will make you use every bit of the inner boots flex in walk mode. Not clear why anyone would do that.

My thought was good clinic but they should have stopped well short of broad statements about boot technology.

Power strap inside the boot does offer a more progressive flex and a softer boot (we were told it did not make for a softer boot) in almost ever case if the boot was originally designed to have the power strap on the outside of the boot. (not all are) Will it work? Sure. Is it for everyone? Not for me in the boots I use. Simply can't do it in any of my 4 pairs of boots. Telling me I should get a different boot was nonsense.

Level-3 instructors? Yes, we met

they should have stopped well short of talking about boot technology.
    ....... a motto to live by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    ....... a motto to live by.
    what's the preferable method of cock size measuring in public?

how long & wide your......................... skis are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    what's the preferable method of cock size measuring in public?
    Playboy bunny hands

GregL? I don't know why or how anyone would put the power strap inside a TLT/ONE/Mercury? No question it will make you use every bit of the inner boots flex in walk mode. Not clear why anyone would do that.
    I'm going to mount a Booster on my Vulcans about 10mm higher than the standard one so that I can run it inside the cuff overlaps, just because I have a spare pair of straps here and that's how I've always worn them on my alpine boots. I'll need to experiment with it under or over the shell's removable tongue. Fully loosened it shouldn't restrict range of motion while walking.

Hey Lorne. I get it when you loosen the strap. GregL was talking about not loosing the strap to tour in.

My buddy Dave Searle loves his Boax hat by the way. I tried to nick if from him...but it was a no go. Nice stuff!

Push the liner down on your foot and buckling the front first? These guys must love cold toes. Life is harder when you're stupid.

Put boots on, slam heel back, buckle boots, mess with power strap, go skiing.