How much does an 8 foot tall window cost?

We're starting to plan a build on a new house finally, and I'm trying to get an idea of just how much windows are going to cost for the build we want. The living room has a good view, so I would like to do a floor to ceiling type of window. I'm curious how ridiculously expensive this is going to be. The wall will be about 25 feet across, so I'm guessing probably 6 windows along the back. Anyone know anything about windows like this?
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Might not be that expensive. They make 8 foot sliders these days, which means there are regular runs for that size glass.
    I'd ask one of those door companies where they get theirs, based on your span projections, which looks like you're right around 4-0.

It's going to depend on what brand you go with, insulation value, frame out etc. etc. I put new Sierra Pacific windows in my house - top of the line baby - and they were muy expensive BUT IMHO well worth it. Decide what you can afford/are willing to pay and go from there.

Edit: Also, sometimes code will only allow so many windows for energy efficiency. Ran into that with a house in Seattle. Put in the max number of tall windows I could, some of them 8ft, but would have liked more. I see you're in CO - you're may run into the same thing.

cheapest will be vinyl
    next up is fiberglass
    then hybrids of those with wood interiors
    the alum-clad wood
    then all wood
    then fully-custom-pick-your-wood-species

these can be single lights like a retail storefront, or they can be stacked smaller windows -- all up to you

various glazing options are available for all these types

standard sizes will price out better than custom openings. fixed lights are cheaper than operable ones. shapes are pricier than rectangles.

then you can get operable walls, either folding or sliding (but figure $1k/linft or more for those)

write up a list of window sizes and take it or fax it to a local window provider to get a price list going -- local markets & available options vary

We recently ordered a couple of windows from Milgard--ours were vinyl single hung. Milgard does make a picture window up to 6x8 foot. No prices on the web site, but we have found Milgard to be good quality, reasonably priced basic windows. Personally In snow country I prefer a vinyl window because they are almost flush with the siding so no fat sill for snow to sit on and no wood to rot (I've got a couple of wood pellas with rotted sills).
    Energy efficiency depends on state regulations, your location, which way the windows face, which can affect the options and price.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    depends on what you want. For my house, it was about 1/2 cheaper to go custom windows than buy over the counter windows. They were triple pain verse double pain to boot. I would definitely look into custom windows, they may not be more expensive or at least close to the price of store stock windows.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

I'm just trying to get a ball park figure I guess. Can I get a good quality window for $1500 a pop?

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Personally In snow country I prefer a vinyl window because they are almost flush with the siding so no fat sill for snow to sit on and no wood to rot (I've got a couple of wood pellas with rotted sills).
    But you can get aluminum clad wood so you can enjoy the wood on the inside and not have to deal with it on the outside.

I can't vouch for how accurate their numbers are but these cost calculators should give you an idea: http://www.homewyse.com/costs/index.html

answer to your question looks to be yeah you can get an 8 foot window of reasonable quality for less than $1500, maybe quite a bit less.

Iceman provides internet window consultations in jeans.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    I'm just trying to get a ball park figure I guess. Can I get a good quality window for $1500 a pop?
    I think what people are saying is anywhere from $100 - $10000 and up...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

If you want, get a quote for one of these, then every other brand will feel like a bargain...

www.tischlerwindows.com
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Pro tip on quality: when checking out models in showrooms a good rule of thumb for quality glass is when looking at your reflection it should look like a mirror. If reflections look like a fun house mirror the glass quality is crap and more likely to crack longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    yes on pre-fab probably not on custom.
    b

$465 for an Andersen 100 8'x6' window, and about $800 for a Marvin.

www.tonystreks.com

Vinyl is a no-no in wildfire prone areas.
    Living vicariously through myself.

how bout cougar country?
    b

I live in a 100 year old home that has the most awesome wood work throughout, including windows. The only problem is the stupid storm windows that were most likely added on in the seventies, judging by the looks, and the nineteen layers of paint that have been added to some of the windows, as well as some minor rotting. How much is it going to cost me to remove the storm windows and restore all of the windows to original condition, including maybe installing more energy efficient glass?

I figured, hey, since we're asking broad window questions here, I'd throw in.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    how bout cougar country?
    b
    Depends on how hot the cougar is.
    Living vicariously through myself.

I hate the lack of insulation from my single-pane windows. How much is it going to cost me to deconstruct my house and use the materials to build a boat?

Hugh Conway Guest
    that's easy. A string.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    I hate the lack of insulation from my single-pane windows. How much is it going to cost me to deconstruct my house and use the materials to build a boat?
    Depends entirely on the expected wind loading of the boat and if your house is stucco. Stucco boats rule.

People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No, the answer is always 42.