Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    fuck yeahs thanks for visitin and stokin out the thread
    good seein ya J/Awake###### will call
    hit the k slabs and the skier right shot where craig passed
    couldn't find any definitive crowns but plenty of debris in the main gully from previous naturals
    not much slab on the slab standard bottomless facets.
    still much thinner snowpack on the trade route ridge skinner and mower side
    low angled luvin or high speeds skied best

cold out there 11 on our 5ish return to trailhead
    even colder when
    damn whippy snappies add unwanted ventilation

despite that trauma
    yesterdays suck factor
    low

Todaies projected suck factor
    low
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Suck factor especially low if your willing to walk a ways.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gobblers 2-5-14 049.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	150099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gobblers 2-5-14 080.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	150100   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gobblers 2-5-14 090.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	150101  

Fun day of splitting

Getting down in Upper Days:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0185_zps8c69cf73.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	150102  

Lots of wind and snow transport in upper bcc this pm. Snow wasn't quite as slabby as anticipated. Sheltered areas skied very nice. Couldn't really get anything to move on small rollovers.

UDOT will be shooting artillery tomorrow in LCC. Backcountry closure: Lisa Falls to Grizzly Gulch, midnight to 0830 on 2/8/14.

Forecast didn't pan out this morning. No backcountry closures today. Please stay out of Tanners in case we need to do a mid-day mid-canyon shoot.
    2 1/2" at .18

Thanks,

Brad

There is a scheduled road closure at 2:30 pm. The road should re-open at approx. 3:30pm!!!!!! oooppppsss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good results, class 2s and 3s, mid canyon with afternoon artillery mission. Mid-day naturals out of Hellgate and Superior put powder clouds over closed road (not "oooppppsss!!!!!!"). Backcountry closed midnight tonight to 0900 Sunday morning Feb 9th from Lisa Falls to Grizzly Gulch for more shooting. Road up LCC will close at Gate B at 12:30 tonight, possibly sooner.

Thanks,
    Brad

we love you brad!!!!!!!!

Lots of snow wind and weather. All the red flags except rapid warming. N facing patsy in the trees skied really well. Found instabilities at the storm snow/old snow interface as well as facets at the ground but neither were super reactive. Played it safe and low angle though. Nuking snow all day I imagine Sunday will be interesting.

Sent from my MB886 using TGR Forums
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Headed north yesterday, started from the valley floor ~5k and ascended to ~9k. Got one mid elevation collapse on a flat wind affected slope, saw evidence of naturals in steeper west facing terrain. Skied perfect old growth trees all day long, yeeha winter is here.

Quick Vid, click to watch

Mark H with Logan as the backdrop

Reaching the old growth, eerie feel, some of the best tree skiing out there.

Cream cheese turns for 900 feet and repeat
    Last edited by JTrue; 02-09-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Leming line was impressive down 2 2k on 9600 then past the 7

passed on the park of plenty and broke moderately easy trail pretty saturated till basin bottom

observed grouse & grap

Got extremely high but sure didn't feel too overly dangereous
    sure hasties reveled an extrmely shitty feb wasatch snowpack structure w/ a significant load and slabs now atop it.
    but very little crackin only 1 collapse at the density change snowline on exit
    test slopes and small ridgetop cornices slabs weren't very reactive
    good day to b rockin rev/rev fatties and transitioning in sheltered trees

skied damn well

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

This lemming left the house at 9:10 and was on the slopes by 10:05. Crushed 25K of plunderful plunder. Left room for the PDog.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Thanks to the gods!! To quote my 8 year old, "It was up to my neck in there!"

UDOT planning avalanche mitigation Tues in BCC. Backcountry closure in effect midnight tonight to 0900- Broads- Stairs, Cardiff- Argenta. BCC road closure 0815- 0900. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
    UDOT planning avalanche mitigation Tues in BCC. Backcountry closure in effect midnight tonight to 0900- Broads- Stairs, Cardiff- Argenta. BCC road closure 0815- 0900. Cheers
    Brad - This is probably a dumb question, but what in Broad's threatens the road? Can the Bonkers area produce a massive slide that takes out the forest down to the road? Just curious. Thanks.

brad has left the building!!!!!

not sure what i was observin

probin for snow depth, one hell of a lurk, or goes pros to the next level
    guess it was an athelete shootout thing
    i poached this shot

some impressive slides the highway natural been a decade
    shot 22/23 hood of honeycomb

winters here think i need a longer rulerz

270 cm on the limber pines/guild pit
    spatial varibilities continue to appear
    a few ct +20's at recent old/new interface
    and a few spooky ct low teens at the rhime/rain crust line q1
    a couple below

pretty stout 4 finger oct nov slab in this particular well wind effected subridge which surprised me
    skied top 1/2 bailed to no mans for dreamy creamy goodness
    please refrain from getting your fuckin yahoos cornice kickin and starting large slides in terrain your not plannin on skiing
    if you want to start avvies seek employment as a redcoat at one of our fine world class resorts
    and props to all them
    busy weekend and another coming

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    please refrain from getting your fuckin yahoos cornice kickin and starting large slides in terrain your not plannin on skiing
    if you want to start avvies seek employment as a redcoat at one of our fine world class resorts
    and props to all them
    busy weekend and another coming
    Hear here! This getting out of hand. Fukkin dick wavers...

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Hear here! This getting out of hand. Fukkin dick wavers...
    What's with the gapers that all of a sudden are walking around the GMD (maybe others places too) wearing their beacons? No skins, no gear, no tele or tech set ups, just alpine boots and a beacon they probably can't operate. Not dumb ass kids but seniors. I asked one if he was going out of bounds, he answered "you never know", yea I do know. I realize there was an in bounds incident back in December but REALLY!!! I figure if you aren't carrying a shovel don't walk around like you know what the fuck you are doing.

Don't harsh in people beeping inbounds, it can be a smart safety measure, tho I agree with the conventional wisdom that not carrying a full kit is selfish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

And fuck the motherfucking cornice stomperz!... At least I got a couple days out there before they blew it up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    What's with the gapers that all of a sudden are walking around the GMD (maybe others places too) wearing their beacons? No skins, no gear, no tele or tech set ups, just alpine boots and a beacon they probably can't operate. Not dumb ass kids but seniors. I asked one if he was going out of bounds, he answered "you never know", yea I do know. I realize there was an in bounds incident back in December but REALLY!!! I figure if you aren't carrying a shovel don't walk around like you know what the fuck you are doing.
    All of my friends who ski at Alta wear a beacon every day, as a matter of habit, regardless of whether they are carrying other gear or plan to leave the boundary; I think this is fairly common procedure for frequent skiers at ski areas with avalanche terrain and/or sidecountry access. There is no reason not to wear a beacon while skiing at Alta: if you are buried in an avalanche it is the best way to be found. Furthermore, even if you don't have a shovel and probe, you can be of a whole lot more use as an ordinary skier at the scene of an avalanche if you have a beacon: you can locate a signal, and you may be able to help out on scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3000 View Post
    All of my friends who ski at Alta wear a beacon every day, as a matter of habit, regardless of whether they are carrying other gear or plan to leave the boundary; I think this is fairly common procedure for frequent skiers at ski areas with avalanche terrain and/or sidecountry access. There is no reason not to wear a beacon while skiing at Alta: if you are buried in an avalanche it is the best way to be found. Furthermore, even if you don't have a shovel and probe, you can be of a whole lot more use as an ordinary skier at the scene of an avalanche if you have a beacon: you can locate a signal, and you may be able to help out on scene.
    Except you have so many gapers I bet fully half would not have the sense to turn off their beacons. PLUS, if you expect someone to rescue you then you should be carrying probes and shovels to return the favor. The first person on a slide is probably not going to be patrol, so there he stands with his dick in his hand and no way to probe or look for a victim .

And I do not believe it is fairly standard for skiers at areas (Alta) with avy terrain. The questionable terrain is not accessible until patrol has cleared it AND side country is backcountry so that point makes no sense. I am convinced it is for the most part just JONGS.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    And I do not believe it is fairly standard for skiers at areas (Alta) with avy terrain. The questionable terrain is not accessible until patrol has cleared it AND side country is backcountry so that point makes no sense. I am convinced it is for the most part just JONGS.
    Granted I'm talking Alyeska (but was reading since I'll be in Utah next month), but here its common/encouraged by the resort. So it's standard here at least.

In fact bacon is required to go to some outer areas, often where you are commonly skiing a just opened area with a patroller standing and marking the end of Traverse.

And, no, I am not carrying all my other crap (shovel, probe, etc).