Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Idaho Falls?

Idaho Falls?

Anyone out there know much about Idaho Falls? Wife and I have been in CO for years and looking to get further north. Looks affordable and within striking distance of some cool places.

Any beta appreciated.

Oh, Jeez, here we go again.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Lets sum it up in pictures

Last edited by rideit; 10-31-2013 at 11:11 PM.

And it has a quaint little downtown where the people are nice!
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

that's hall of fkn fame picture story shit right there...

I just found Morenita's though, heh...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

This place is there

Pizza there is decent, though a bit overrated. Crowded on weekends with with skiers driving back from the front range.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Great montage, sums it up well.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I've lived there and still have family and friends there. So very well done rideit.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    Pizza there is decent, though a bit overrated. Crowded on weekends with with skiers driving back from the front range.
    not sure if serious
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Three words:

L

D

S

Goddam, rideit, as an Idahoan, I gotta say: Strong Work!

Can someone just link this, the next time the inevitable "What about Idhao Falls?" link is started.

Idaho's Balls? Yah, that montage sums it up.

So in summary, Jim Carrey's making a movie about the LDS, it's got a meth problem along with great fly fishing, an influx of illegals, vacant strip malls because of a Walmart economy, Lot Lizards and sheep pens, pussy that tastes like duct tape, spittin' drunk rednecks (w/ the obligatory loudmouth bitch), an Aboriginal (how the fuck did he get there?), shitty food, nuclear waste, and hypocrites who ride quads. Sounds like a great place to move the fam.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    not sure if serious
    What's not to like about a mountain pie???? I think I have at least 5 napkin drawings hanging up on the walls there!

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    What's not to like about a mountain pie???? I think I have at least 5 napkin drawings hanging up on the walls there!
    still not sure if serious.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Very accurate. You nailed it.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    still not sure if serious.
    Ha! I'm thinking the same thing.....
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

If you do a search you'll see the thread I started around a year ago, but these guys pretty much repeated themselves in this thread. And Rideit fucking hit it out of the park. Strong work.

Last February I made the move to IF from Sacramento. It's been an interesting transition.....

If you fish and ski it's not a bad place to live. The Henry's Fork and South Fork are close, and awesome. One of the best fly shops in the country in town.

Mountain biking is ok close by, need to travel a little towards Teton valley or Poky for better stuff.

A few fun places to climb real close as well.

Targhee is 1.5 hours plus depending on the roads, it was easier going Sac to Tahoe than it is to the Ghee. I can be at Kelly Canyon if I want to putz around in 30 minutes. Some mellow touring around there. Better touring at Pine Creek Pass about an hour away. Obviously the pass and all the Jhole stuff isn't far.

You're married which is a good thing. The talent here sucks, I've dated every bartender in town twice over so far. As mentioned it's super LDS, with a lot of uneducated folks. But there's also a small contingent of highly educated site workers so there's a weird income paradox. If you have kids and they're not LDS it might make life rough for them. A few coworkers left because their kids were under constant pressure/torment from the Mormons. Super conservative, we're one of the only states where LGBT can be used to discriminate against for work. Pocatello passed a law banning that. IF did not.

Food here sucks. My running joke is that Great Harvest is our best place to eat, it funny because its true...Otherwise 1 or 2 places worth frequenting. The taco trucks are actually pretty solid. 2 or 3 ok bars, though they're super quiet so don't expect any night life.

We have a single A baseball team, sunday funday games are a drunken good time and usually when the normals come out.

We've got a good crossfit box and a ratty old climbing gym.

Luckily work gets me out of here, and I'm on the river/snow a lot. It's def not a place I'll be staying for the rest of my life. You can do a lot better, but the surrounding area makes it so you can do a lot worse.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and first beers on me if you make the move.

And Tye; Garcias Meat Market > Morenitas.
    Whoever suggested Tom's Gyros to me thanks for trying to give me a heart attack.

Thanks for the solid info. I kinda had the feeling it was freakville there. We've been in CO for the past 26 years and looking to get out. However we want to "run to a place" rather than "run away from a place".

I teach school, wife works for BLM. We'd ideally like to live in Victor if she could get a job in that area and I could teach in the Teton Valley or over the hill in Wilson.

Come spring I'll be carpet bombing my resume to desirable places, but it sure as shit sounds like IF won't be one of them.

Teachers make shit here and Idaho is ranked 49/50 in education. The valley would be tits though, lotsa mags over there.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    Thanks for the solid info. I kinda had the feeling it was freakville there. We've been in CO for the past 26 years and looking to get out. However we want to "run to a place" rather than "run away from a place".

I teach school, wife works for BLM. We'd ideally like to live in Victor if she could get a job in that area and I could teach in the Teton Valley or over the hill in Wilson.

Come spring I'll be carpet bombing my resume to desirable places, but it sure as shit sounds like IF won't be one of them.
    Teaching gigs are hard to come by at Wilson Elementary. Not much turnover but worth getting your name in the door. Jackson schools seem to have a bit more turnover but not a lot from what I know. Both would be great spots to teach.

Good luck! Most of the mags in the region seem very willing to lend a hand. Let us know if you make the move.

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    Ha! I'm thinking the same thing.....
    Sorry, not sure what you're getting at here?
    Did you know there's a really cool back road you can take that gets you to Blackhawk/Central City? Most people don't know about it.

Rideit for the win.

I don't have kids in the school systems, which from what I hear really makes the LDS thing a big issue, but man they are great tenants in the few rentals I have down there. No complaining, pay on time, anyways, diverging off course here.

There are worse places, like anywhere in Texas. Compared to Boston, SLC, Denver, or any other large enough town/city about 1.5 hours from skiing, its cheap cheap cheap. Save the pennies and get a Jackson pass, worth the extra drive.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Whoever suggested Tom's Gyros to me thanks for trying to give me a heart attack.
    Your welcome. That place is awesome. nothing says 'fine dining' like Icehouse on tap!

anyoo, here is a followup that is more rounded