Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Awesome underrated autos?

The Porsche thread got me thinking about what else someone could buy for a whole lot less than a Porsche but likely have WAY more fun for actual thrashing on the roads and maybe out perform it.

Out perform it? In what respect?

BMW M Coupe

Corvette Z06

Miata for handling and they are indestructible.

Maserati Coupe

yugo will get you almost any parking spot so that's some pretty good performance imo.
    b

Not sure about the out performing part...

Edit: Alpy and I are on the same page here
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Used Miata with some mods.

I'd race a dentist in his Porsche on tight roads in a Cooper works Mini any day.

WRX

Subaru Forester.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

WRX, lancer evo, etc etc etc, any of the ubber moddifiable 30k and under four banger turbos. throw 10 grand into one of those. peace
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Maybe get a Bitchin' Camaro

Move upside and let the man go through...

I've always overrated my underrated cars

-for example: I Loved my 1980 Buick Skylark ski machine, drive in ski boots while sinking into the luscious velour bench, Oh Yeah!

For the money, the GTR will smoke just about anything on the road, including your garden variety ferrari. Of course, its a Nissan and there is nothing visceral about it.

Ultimate thrasher award goes to the Solstice LS7 transplant

Some years ago I owned a 4 cyl M3, which I used to take to various race tracks. On a tight track like Lime Rock, the M3 kept up with 911's because it could be slowed a marker or two later and pointed in the right direction a bit quicker. Out at a horsepower friendly track like Pocono or Watkins Glen, the Porsche would lay the wood to it.

They still can be had for 20K and under.

I'll add the Honda S2000 to the list.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I used to drive a c. 1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si. Four wheel steering and plenty quick--handled like a go-kart on rails. I think they ran that model from 88-92 and it kicked the snot out Porsches, et al, agility-wise. I'm sure you could get one for next to nothing and I doubt there's a better fun:$ ratio available if you just want to go tearing around like an asshole.

BRZ/FR-S with a turbo and wider tires?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Out perform it? In what respect?

BMW M Coupe
    This, I had one and it was a blast and as fast as my buddies $120k Z8 in a drag race up Torrey Pines road. He was pissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

when i was young, a souped up vw bug done baja buggy style was the shit.
    early 70's style
    b

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    when i was young, a souped up vw bug done baja buggy style was the shit.
    early 70's style
    b
    That makes me laugh. When I met my wife 35 years ago, I drove a POS 61 VW baja bug. When I realized she would ride in my shitty car with no judgement, I knew she was a keeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I used to drive a c. 1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si. Four wheel steering and plenty quick--handled like a go-kart on rails. I think they ran that model from 88-92 and it kicked the snot out Porsches, et al, agility-wise. I'm sure you could get one for next to nothing and I doubt there's a better fun:$ ratio available if you just want to go tearing around like an asshole.
    heh those 'ludes where a blast.
    i drove my sister's '91 up and down LCC like a beast when I visited her in SLC.

The market for used E30M3s has gone crazy, sub 20k ones used with S14 means rebuild pretty soon. Wish I would have bought one when they were going for 15k, not 30k.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    The market for used E30M3s has gone crazy, sub 20k ones used with S14 means rebuild pretty soon. Wish I would have bought one when they were going for 15k, not 30k.
    Jeezum . I paid 30K for mine new in 1990. There was a guy selling a grey one in my town a few months ago for 21K that looked in nice shape, but I'll admit I did not look at it or other prices recently.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    That makes me laugh. When I met my wife 35 years ago, I drove a POS 61 VW baja bug. When I realized she would ride in my shitty car with no judgement, I knew she was a keeper.
    she knew you respected german engineering, duct tape and bailing wire right?
    b

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    BRZ/FR-S with a turbo and wider tires?
    Yep. Bartender at the local watering hole got one (FR-S) and let a few of us tear around the neighborhood with it (before drinks of course).

Totally fun car that will put a smile on your face.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    A fawkin AMC Pacer. Nice.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    This makes me laugh, as we just bought my wife a POS 77 bug which she drives up Torrey Pines often.. I drove this underrated auto when we got hitched...wish I still had it.