2014 Volkl Mantra Length Dilema

Decided to go with the new Mantra and big time waffling between the 177 and the 184. Anyone know if this ski skis "short" or "long". Short bio is age 59, 6'1", 175lbs (dry), aggressive, fast skier. Intended use is as a daily driver, Mammoth in bounds upper runs and unfortunately mainly weekends (huge variance in snow surfaces). I know this is a skier preference deal but any direction/experience here is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Denny

This should be an easy ski to find and demo first, no?

Poked around the shops towards the end of last season in Mammoth and surprisingly no Mantra's. Conscientious from the boys in JH & SV so far is saying can't go wrong with the 184. Appreciate your feedback Timberridge.

FWIW. I own the older non-rockered version and my conscientious would be the 184 as well.

It's a multi year SKI and Skiing magazine gold medal gear winner, for chrissakes someone out in the land of fruits and nuts has to have demos this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Racerden View Post
    age 59, 6'1", 175lbs (dry), aggressive, fast skier
    184cm, no brainer. Skis like a 184, not short nor long

Thanks all, 184 it is.

Denny - My first question is what are you skiing on now? That should help gauge what is best for you.

I have skied the 184 Mantra for several years and love them. I am 6'2" 210 and use them out east. I usually travel with Katanas so i don't run the matter too often out west. Around here I know plenty of people who enjoy the 177. It is all personal preference.

To generically answer your question, and as others have said, the Mantra doesn't ski long or short. It feel just as you would expect for a ski of that measured length. The newer model with slight tip rocker is also more manageable in tight spots than the older model.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Thanks Smails, appreciate the feedback. Been riding a couple of daily drivers (that's why I want just one), both Rossignol both 178's- The S3 and the S87. The twin tip S3 is fun except when things slicken up or in afternoon shakers. The S87 is a screamer but a bit too narrow at the waist if I want to go 'wandering'. My powder skis are the 2014 Faction 3.Zeros in a 183, which are sick. I chose the Mantra simply because great reviews, word of mouth and my western location (Mammoth). My 184 Mantra's will be shipped tomorrow.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    184cm, no brainer. Skis like a 184, not short nor long
    Yup. 184 for you.

Just picked up a used pair of the translucent red (naturally) 13/14 model in a 184, any rec's on mounting? The line is further forward than I expected for a full-camber kinda-old-school metal stick.

165 lbs and prefer traditional alpine mounts (never ski switch or park) and can't imagine going forward, is the magic at the 0-line or further back? -1.5 is recommended for one of the earlier version Mantras, but that probably doesn't apply to this iteration. Ski will be for no-new-snow hard/crusty days, and won't see any powder.

Whats the mount point? -10?

I had a 2012 (I think) pair of 184s -- the first year of that same generation -- and reused toe holes drilled for a 325ish bsl for my 305. So that put me at about +1 or so, and I thought it was fine. Didn't wash out on me or anything and I used them mostly as cruisers -- no pow. I also prefer traditional mounts or ever so slightly forward, so I think you'd be fine mounting at the line, no need to go back further IMO.

What's this conscientious talk?? Do you guys mean consensus, or is this some new slang thing I'm out of the loop on?
    focus.

Just got my 15/16 184 mounted and skied for the first time, mounted at the volkl reference 0 line, is it in my head or do they seem like the mount is forward compared to old mantra/katana, feels like it has a lot of tail, could just be coming down from 189 automatic 109 and the combo of shorter and narrower are making me feel like they're mounted forward and ski hella short. Still like em. Needed to detune the piss out of them
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

First off, the new fully rockered Mantra does have a rec'd mount point that is further forward by 1-2 cm than the old cambered version.

Second, Blister has already done a bunch of testing on multiple lengths of the new Mantra. TLDR summary: the 177 was the better ski in most conditions for the 6 ft, 175 lbs reviewer.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...volkl-mantra-2

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    First off, the new fully rockered Mantra does have a rec'd mount point that is further forward by 1-2 cm than the old cambered version.

Second, Blister has already done a bunch of testing on multiple lengths of the new Mantra. TLDR summary: the 177 was the better ski in most conditions for the 6 ft, 175 lbs reviewer.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...volkl-mantra-2
    U mad bro? Just putting some thoughts on the ski into the nethersphere, fully acquainted with blister
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

More forward than old Katana (which is -14). The new Mantra is -9 according to Blister Gear Review.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    U mad bro? Just putting some thoughts on the ski into the nethersphere, fully acquainted with blister
    No, not mad. Just trying answer the question from the OP. I bet your 184 Mantras are fun too. If it is anything like the metal Katana with a more progressive forward mount, it sounds great to me

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    No, not mad. Just trying answer the question from the OP. I bet your 184 Mantras are fun too. If it is anything like the metal Katana with a more progressive forward mount, it sounds great to me
    Sorry, was a liquor filled weekend in VT. Gotta get them out in more will be out west a good chunk of march, should get a better idea, I love my 184 katanas but these are definitely more forward and new school

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I've seen some new old stock 2013 / 2014 Mantras flat for sale for about $325 $US ( I've found a 177 & 184 )
    AFAIK the 2012/2013 ( dragon ) and 2013/2014 ( plain red ) are the ones that still have camber and mild tip rocker, look like these

Is the above generation of Mantra the preferred version ?

Would you spend $325 + clamps on a new 3 year old ski ?

I liked that version of Mantra a lot but I wouldn't pay $300 for a 3 year old mass produced ski. Maybe $200.

I took my '09-'10's out the other day for the first time in 2 years for a romp on some real shitty snow and they still put a smile on my face.

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang